Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 17, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #54,811 of 149,342
I have built a few, and have the schematics but I doubt I would alter the amp like that. I am working on a similar circuit but with 6SN7 equivalents. I am curious to hear this with the JJ’s Schiit is using.

Test song is Daft Punk...Get Lucky

Yaaah I see my best friend: The MELZ 1578

Brilliant driver tube! I love it

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #54,812 of 149,342
Yaaah I see my best friend: The MELZ 1578

Brilliant driver tube! I love it
You use what, four of them in the Freya+?

That is a combo few people get a chance to try but two can work wonders as well.

That one is the 1963 version, my absolute favorite. I paired it with a Chatham 6080 and Tung Sol 5998.

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #54,813 of 149,342
For those of you that use a pc as source, do you use the pc volume control? If not, what is it set at...max?

I'm using 2 Macs as music sources, both running Audirvana.

I ask because it *feels* like I should just run the full signal out of macs and leave it to the downstream components to attenuate the signal.

My 2 ch rig uses a Freya which I trust to do accurate attenuation.

My HP rigs however rely on the amp volume controls. However with a full signal coming in, the volume controls on both are almost at minimum...almost to the point where I lose one channel. I'm wondering if I should leave my HP amp volumes at their sweet spot and put a Saga in front of them for volume control. Unless using the mac volume control has no downside...then I'm fine.

TIA
I also use a Mac as the source via the optical output to my MF VDac and always leave it maxed out. It then goes to my Magni with the gain set to low and everything’s fine. I’m using Oppo PM-2 ‘phones. I wouldn’t use the volume control in the Mac because it degrades the sound.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #54,816 of 149,342
I just took delivery of Yggdrasil GS, and inserting into the chain with Freya S and two Vidars. So super budget at $3600. I still might need some $1000 wood blocks to elevate my speaker cables.
Nonsense I know a place to buy those same blocks for $800

Edit: Forgot. I can send you a manual how to install your fuses the other way around. For a little over $250 I'll send you the pdf.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #54,817 of 149,342
Look at the Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox YouTube channel for more fun like this
https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottBradleeLovesYa

Also "big mama's", doo-woppers, crooners and many many more. It's all 30's, 40's en 50's interpretations of modern songs. Even some tap dancing.
Look at the live gig agenda for gigs in your country. https://postmodernjukebox.com/
*snip*
I've been following Scott and the clan for a couple years now and am thoroughly impressed with their musical ability. Add to the fact that the only electronics used are the ones for the microphones and video. Everything else is acoustic. A lot (if not most or all) of today's "artists" need to take a chapter from PMJ's playbook to see what real artists can do.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #54,818 of 149,342
@Jason Stoddard , im planning to get a magni 3+ or heresy , whichis a better match for my 300ohms Sennheiser HD6xx? thanks

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #54,822 of 149,342
Dec 17, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #54,823 of 149,342
For those of you that use a pc as source, do you use the pc volume control? If not, what is it set at...max?

I'm using 2 Macs as music sources, both running Audirvana.

I ask because it *feels* like I should just run the full signal out of macs and leave it to the downstream components to attenuate the signal.

My 2 ch rig uses a Freya which I trust to do accurate attenuation.

My HP rigs however rely on the amp volume controls. However with a full signal coming in, the volume controls on both are almost at minimum...almost to the point where I lose one channel. I'm wondering if I should leave my HP amp volumes at their sweet spot and put a Saga in front of them for volume control. Unless using the mac volume control has no downside...then I'm fine.

TIA

I don't really use any volume control..w10pro Jriver wasapi modi multibit USB is direct connection. Only volume you need to be concerned with is from your headphone amp. Which is the correct way. Outside windows audio stack and plays whatever the file is automatically without upsampling or downsampling.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #54,825 of 149,342
That's the exact problem. Mac -> Bifrost -> HP amps = too hot. I need to keep the volume of my hp amps so low (close to zero) that it's affecting L-R balance.

why is this happening ? are you using 10ohm cans in a very power headphone amp with no gain control? Lower gain in your software ? When I listen to compressed clipped recordings (not by choice lol) I lower gain in jriver. I'm using 70 ohm LCD2F either out of liquid platinum or Asgard 3 and I have no issue with things being too "loud" I don't like to put anything between my DAC and headphone amp either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back