1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Cool Jazz
    Some randomly grabbed songs and their waveform...

From 1974...a Linda Ronstadt...
    [​IMG]

1984...Lionel Richie...
    [​IMG]

From 2011...Adele...
    [​IMG]

From 2012....'LMAO'...
    [​IMG]

All are from linear source material. Now...how much better will they all sound with some compression added to the soup?

CJ

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. Jason Stoddard
    Interesting you call out Hafler versus Cello, because when I was working at Sumo (a measurements darling of its age), Mike was using Cello amps at the Theta listening room. He loved his Cellos. I thought they were ten thousand dollar weak monoblocks with a very unimaginative design. So I told him, "Sumo's cheapest amp can beat these!"

Long story short, yes, Sumo's cheap amp (Ulysses, a $599 60WPC stereo amp), beat the Cellos subjectively....after extensive modification which included adding a choke input (a choke as large as the transformer), switching from MOSFET to bipolar output, extensive tweaking of the open-loop performance of the amplifier, and tweaking the error correction (feedforward), as well as changing to a no-overall-feedback topology (the linearization meant there was almost no penalty, distortion-wise, for doing this--it ended up with one local loop around the drivers and voltage gain, and a error corrected output stage.

We still have the Cellos here at Schiit, I should measure them some day just for fun.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! Your feedback started the cascade that will probably end up with a Hel 2 that has optical input as well as USB sooner than later (er, that is, if the new C-Media input works the way I think it does, and when they start shipping it!)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  3. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Yus... my will has set things in motion. Mwahaha :japanese_ogre:

AudioGal, bcowen, Darthpool and 2 others like this.
  4. Juan_R
    Could well be wrong, but I believe he was referring to Bifrost.

5. Darthpool
    I'm a fan of the 6sn7 adapter on my crack....it's my normal daily driver. Mine isn't fancy just a Russian Tung Sol...but I may pick up some of these tubes from @raindownthunda (whichever ones he doesn't end up wanting/using)

bcowen likes this.
  6. yonson
    That's insane, and progressively worse...

7. Paladin79
    They are currently in the D.C. area but I could send you the tubes I sent Jason for the tube shootout if you want to blindly compare 6sn7 equivalents. This Ken-Rad is a favorite as is a 1963 Melz. C960AD32-0706-4DE3-99ED-536A1C09C28D.jpeg

bcowen likes this.
  8. Darthpool
    That is a good looking tube lol....I mean it isn't purple...but, I do like the aesthetic, plus sounding good! Best of both worlds ha!

bcowen likes this.
  9. treecloud
    Good subjective/objective story. 60WPC! I had the opportunity to hear the Cellos back in the day. The best I ever heard them was in the studio of a well known mastering engineer driving Duntech Sovereigns. They had their place, I thought of them as arc welders :)

IMHO speakers were not Cello's forte.

I could find aesthetic "cost-no-object" value in Cello electronics, but of course not "practical-efficient" value. What really gets me going is the blend of aesthetics with efficiency. Seems to me to be a narrower category than one might think. Lately I've been in awe of the humble Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2. It helps a little bit to active cross them to a pair of 15" woofs :) but they are extraordinary value either way, and (another) good example of "designers who know their Schiit" !

bcowen likes this.
  10. White Noise
    audio philestine likes this.
  11. oryan_dunn
    That'd be nice for Xbox One use. Would it be possible to use one of those 3.5mm/toslink combo ports?

Mad Lust Envy likes this.
  12. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    I forgot to mention this.

The combo ports are much better than having the optical bay, personally. I've broken my share of optical port 'doors'.

I SWEAR I'M NOT A MONSTER.

bcowen and Rensek like this.
  13. Darthpool
    Fixed it for you :wink:

bcowen likes this.
  14. Roy G. Biv
    Thanks for posting that. I've only been using Roon for about a year but I have started paying attention to the waveform display at the bottom. More often than not, when I ask myself why the current song sounds so bad, the waveform looks like what you posted for Adele.
    Set_Fire_To_The_Rain-Adele_Full_song.jpg

Ughh...It would be awesome if the industry would get away from the loudness wars and limit dynamic compression.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  15. Jason Stoddard
    Hey all, it's that time again!

SchiitrMeet December
    Let's Just Chill

Yes, that's right. Let's just relax, have some food, and listen to whatever we want. We'll bring some food and drink (not dinner, don't get too excited), and we'll have all the new gear there for a listen. That's it!

What, no blind listening? Well, if you want to, we can easily set up blind listening of Magni 3+ and Heresy (and Magni 3 and Vali) as pre-amps, and have a listen through speakers, but we don't have the switching setup to do blind headphone listening. If you want to do that, we can do that. We can level match and everything. Or we can do it next month with headphones too. Your choice.

I hope to see you there!

The Schiitr
    22508 Market Street
    Newhall, CA 91321

Thursday, December 12
    6PM-10PM

All the best,
    Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/