Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #53,538 of 149,348
Thrift stores in general are like panning for gold. Most of the time you don't find anything, but every once and awhile you can find something shiny.

About a year ago I was drug kicking and screaming into a resale shop by my spousal unit. I would rather have had all my fingernails pulled out with pliers, but I figured being a nice husband was warranted at least once annually. As she was haggling over some stupid little table she wanted, I spied a dusty box on the bottom of a rack in the corner that looked like it had a tube sticking out the top. I checked it out, and it was a BIG box full of tubes that were all loose (from what I could see at the top). So I asked the lady how much she wanted for it, and she said that if my wife would quit arguing and just buy the table, I could take it for free -- it had been sitting there for 5 years and she'd be happy to get rid of it. So I argued with the wife to quit arguing, she bought the table, and I took the box home. Most of the stuff up top looked used (if not dead) and most with numbers I didn't recognize -- TV tubes probably. Then I got to the bottom, and BAM! There were 6 CBS/Hytron 5692's in their original military boxes. Ran them through the tester, and they all tested at NOS GM levels. So she paid $50 for a table and I got $500+ worth of tubes. LOL!

This, however, does not mean I will go quietly if drug against my will into a resale shop again. I'm just not that lucky more than once. :grin:

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #53,539 of 149,348
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #53,540 of 149,348
@Jason Stoddard -- an artist's rendition below just in case you needed new product ideas for 2020. :laughing:

Lyr 4.jpg

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #53,541 of 149,348
Nov 16, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #53,542 of 149,348
What a great rendition! I can practically hear it the artwork is so good.:ksc75smile:

I have a reputation for Photoshop talent, but try not to brag about it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #53,543 of 149,348
Yep, I'm not surprised at the result. We could run the same test next month and it could go 100% the other way with a different group, different music, or different speakers. You have to be very, very careful at extrapolating from 5 people listening to 2 songs on 1 unfamiliar system. It's easy to say it's a "win" if it fits your dogma, or a "flawed test" if it doesn't.

The reality is:

1. None of our blind listening is scientifically rigorous enough to pass muster for a journal. Not even the double-blind tube test.
2. The differences between electronics are relatively small. As we've always said, start with your transducer, then go for electronics--transducers will make the biggest differences.

Hey, you know any other manufacturer running blind listening tests and reporting results counter to their dogma? We're willing to learn, so we're gonna keep doing these blind tests...and reporting the results, no matter how the cards land. I personally think it's a great ego check!
This is the beauty of blind testing. No biases, just what someone's ears hear. And especially if you have the honesty and integrity to admit if something sounds better than something else even though it's not supposed to...

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #53,544 of 149,348
I recently bought the new firmware to upgrade my Modi Multibit. The update comes as a new 8-pin DIP package (as in the picture) with a white sticker covering its top side. The sticker reads “MD218” on mine. The old firmware has no sticker.

I got curious and had to know, so I pulled the lid off mine to see which one it had, and it does have the latest firmware...

FYI getting the LED's lined back up is a PITA...

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #53,546 of 149,348
Yes, but of the two the DAC is further up the chain than the amp.

I prefer a better source and "lesser" amp and speakers.

Balance in your components is probably most important. No use having an Yggdrasil if your amp is a Lepy. No use driving a Pass Labs amp with a Chromecast.

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #53,549 of 149,348
Speaking of tube fads and using amps for warmth, this is my latest acquisition. I grabbed this non- working for $10 plus shipping figuring if nothing else I would get the magic eye circuit going. Fortunately all it needed was a negative temperature coefficient thermistor (not something everyone has laying around in their shop) and it was up and running. Once I swapped the power tube with a classic RCA 6AS7G power tube the SQ changed for the better. This is a Class A amp so plenty of warmth as well as a bit of tube bling. :ksc75smile: It also has a built in DAC but I am using a Bifrost and Lyr for a much higher quality input.

I know this thing. Humms like hell.

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #53,550 of 149,348

Users who are viewing this thread

Back