Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 27, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #51,421 of 152,597
Sep 28, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #51,423 of 152,597
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #51,424 of 152,597
Sep 28, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #51,425 of 152,597
Sep 28, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #51,426 of 152,597
A GE clear top sounded great in my Wavelength Brick when I had it.

I’ve never seen a clear top anything actually made by GE (except 211’s and 845’s). Not suggesting they don’t exist, but are you sure that was made by GE and not OEM’d for them by RCA?

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #51,428 of 152,597
I’ve never seen a clear top anything actually made by GE (except 211’s and 845’s). Not suggesting they don’t exist, but are you sure that was made by GE and not OEM’d for them by RCA?
Ah, you are right it was likely an RCA now that you mention it. Sorry for the miscue, likely my faulty memory.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #51,429 of 152,597
i was wrong too.
The iFi tubes I use in the Mjolnir 2 are NOS 5670 with an adapter to make'm work in a 6922 config.
I have no clue what I'm talking about here though but they sound really good.

To be complete: I do like the standard tubes too but they have a little bit less sound stage.
I have the LISST's too but they make the sound a bit too clinical in my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #51,430 of 152,597
From the Stereophile Aegir review posted earlier:

"I was pleasantly surprised by the Schiit Aegir's measured performance. It is a well-engineered amplifier at an affordable price." — John Atkinson

I guess he expected it to measure like Schiit :wink:

Great review though... I wish I could try an Aegir in my room for free to see how different it sounds in that exact context compared to my Vidar. It did sound fantastic during the amp shootout at the Schiitr a while back.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #51,431 of 152,597
Great review though... I wish I could try an Aegir in my room for free to see how different it sounds in that exact context compared to my Vidar. It did sound fantastic during the amp shootout at the Schiitr a while back.

While I doubt you’d be able to do it for free :) let me at least tell you that I have a Vidar and mono Aegirs in the same room. Both are excellent amps. Vidar is clean, almost clinical, and has better bass than Aegir. Aegir on the other hand, has exceptional mid-range, excels with acoustic music, and is warmer than Vidar. Aegir sings with high sensitivity speakers. I have KEF LS50s (86 dB sensitivity) and Teton Designs Electron SEs (98 dB). Vidar works great with the KEFs and Aegir with the Tektons.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #51,432 of 152,597
Headphones I have used so far with the Schiit Asgard3 are : Audeze LCD-2f, Beyerdynamic DT-990 600 ohm, Sony MDR-Z7 and Grado 325e.
All were played at low/low moderate listening levels. Very pleased.
I'd like to try out those "Beyers" 600 ohm cans on my Valhalla 2 ... with those 2 little LED/incandescent lamps inside (see below, eh). Unless my little schiit-stack goes up in smoke (or my niece/nephew discover HiFi), I have zero need for a replacement amp (might snag a close-out amp IFF they're still kicking around in December [doubtful]).
Now for something completely different:
When I look into my Mjolnir I see those two little lights......{{{snip}}}...Can anyone tell me what they are?......{{{snip}}}....
Those are actually used as voltage references for current sources. They're quieter than zeners, and they look neat.
Ah zeners.... I should have known....
They look nice indeed.
Like on my VH2? I was once told they were (somehow) used to to bias-the-voltage during assembly. I have no idea what that means... so... time to go 'a learning about audio electronics. Key words: zeners, "voltage references for current sources".
Nice, though it lacks my favorite, Bowmore. I need to get some more of that soon. Also, some Lagavulin.
For me? Tamnavulin (from a UK supermarket [why so inexpensive?!]) and Glendronach (also sold here in Toronto [I like the cheaper hooch from the Co-Op]).
Since the topic is still drinks, here's my favorite Bloody Mary. An adaptable drink.
Good any time of day, either with eggs for breakfast or with a Jamaican spliff in the afternoon....{{{snip}}}...Cheers!
RCB
Amen, brother.

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #51,433 of 152,597
While I doubt you’d be able to do it for free :) let me at least tell you that I have a Vidar and mono Aegirs in the same room. Both are excellent amps. Vidar is clean, almost clinical, and has better bass than Aegir. Aegir on the other hand, has exceptional mid-range, excels with acoustic music, and is warmer than Vidar. Aegir sings with high sensitivity speakers. I have KEF LS50s (86 dB sensitivity) and Teton Designs Electron SEs (98 dB). Vidar works great with the KEFs and Aegir with the Tektons.

Finally! Someone who has the Electron SEs!!!! Can you tell me their strengths/weaknesses? Comparisons to other speakers? I'd be most grateful.

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #51,434 of 152,597

Yes, I have my Vidar paired with LS50s as well and I LOVE it. I’d like to swap in Aegir not because I think it will be so much better but because I’m curious to hear what the difference is in my setup in my room. But alas, the curiosity isn’t strong enough to make me jump through the hoops to make it happen.

Finally! Someone who has the Electron SEs!!!! Can you tell me their strengths/weaknesses? Comparisons to other speakers? I'd be most grateful.

I would also love to hear impressions of the Electron SE, especially running on an Aegir!

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #51,435 of 152,597
One of the nifty things about using LEDs as a 'fixed' (more or less) voltage device, is like a battery, they can be added together to create a greater voltage 'reference'.

We have used them in various combinations to set the bias circuit in several of the tube amps we've made.
And they act as a form of feedback to let us know that, that portion of the circuit is functioning.

And unlike a battery which has 1.2 or 1.5 volts/cell, each color of LED has a different voltage with smaller variations between them, and unlike batteries, they can be mixed using different colors to arrive at a specific voltage reference.

And beside they look all purdy sitting there glowing away.
LED glowing in circuit .jpg

1896 rewire done.jpg

JJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back