Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 31, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #5,116 of 151,794
I see the marketing thrust coming into focus now…

"Reach Around for the Really Good Schiit…  
atsmile.gif

JJ

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #5,117 of 151,794
Jan 31, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #5,118 of 151,794
Incorrect. Only the second generation products (and Mjolnir and Ragnarok) have preamp outs.

EDIT: also, it appears that they only have the black Valhallas and Bifrosts. There's a picture there for a black Lyr, but that seems like it's there because the category is for anything that Schiit just wants to get rid of (old products, B-stock, and black finish products).

Actually, correct. The original Lyr has pre-outs. It looks like you're right about B stock though. Does anyone know why black is being offered again? Another supplier screw up?

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #5,119 of 151,794
Actually, correct. The original Lyr has pre-outs. It looks like you're right about B stock though. Does anyone know why black is being offered again? Another supplier screw up?

I think Jason found some under the cushions of his couch.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #5,122 of 151,794
  It was a failed marketing experiment then because it was not marketed.  If I had known the Lyr was available in black when I bought my Lyr, I would have purchased one.  But there was no information (marketing) about them on the Schiit site.   IMO the only thing that can be concluded from this "market research" is that the only people who bought black gear were those with interest who were also lucky enough to stumble across it.

Perhaps I should have put " " around marketing, or used an ironic emoticon. Schiit has never offered color variants, by design and policy. When the erroneous metal showed up, they could have scrapped it/sent it back to the supplier. Instead, and I'm just reading between the lines here as I am not associated with the company, Jason probably figured something like "Hey, we can build some black units and see if these whiners will put their money where their mouths are." They built the stuff and then (if memory serves) put notice in the "manufacturers' announcements" thread here on Head-fi. They also updated the factory site. So you did kind of have to discover the black options, though they weren't hidden, and there was quite some comment here on various threads. But it was not a planned campaign, more a "when life gives you lemons, make (black) lemonade" situation.

I picked up one of the very last Lyr Noir a few days ago. I consider it a collectors item.
L3000.gif

I thought about picking up one of each black item just to encourage Jason to relent and go over to the dark side, but that would have meant about $1500 worth of unused gear taking up attic space.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,123 of 151,794

I thought about picking up one of each black item just to encourage Jason to relent and go over to the dark side, but that would have meant about $1500 worth of unused gear taking up attic space.

$1500 would buy a nice set of headphones that wouldn't be sitting in the attic.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #5,124 of 151,794
Feb 2, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #5,125 of 151,794
  In Canada this time of year, "getting plowed" takes on its literal meaning.  Don't fall asleep on a snow bank at night.

Snow? What is this thing, snow?

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #5,126 of 151,794
  If Schiit have plans to release a full tube amp with balanced and single ended stuffs , that would awesome :)

Wait, the Valhalla isn't good enuff?

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #5,128 of 151,794
Came across this in a newspaper article, seems to hit the nail on the head.
The CEO of Charles Shaw wine (known in the US as 'two buck Chuck') was once asked how he can sell wine for less than the cost of bottled water. "They're overcharging for the water. Don't you get it?" he said. There is a business model based around fooling people into overpaying for a product, and another based around shocking people with reasonable prices. Both can be successful.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #5,129 of 151,794
Has anyone else here come across the new korg tubes 'on a chip'?

They have a longer lifespan, run at a lower voltage and are much, much smaller.

Here is an article: http://hackaday.com/2015/02/02/tubes-on-a-chip/

It looks really great! There isn't a datasheet yet so I guess there is a bit of waiting to do...

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #5,130 of 151,794
  Has anyone else here come across the new korg tubes 'on a chip'?

They have a longer lifespan, run at a lower voltage and are much, much smaller.

Here is an article: http://hackaday.com/2015/02/02/tubes-on-a-chip/

It looks really great! There isn't a datasheet yet so I guess there is a bit of waiting to do...

Brainchild of the Nuvistor? Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back