Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #50,446 of 151,238
A rating on Aegir? Awesome, Congrats.

I had been considering Aegir as the second item on my schiit list. That spot has now been secured. Bifrost 2 for a few months to get used to the sound upgrade, then Aegir to (probably) replace Vidar.

I hit 109.2 db peaks on Vidar and the Zu Omen Dirty Weekends the other day. Sounded amazing, saga wasn't fully cranked either. Considering that volume level is damaging to my ears it's probably ok to go to a lower powered amp.

What I'd like to see is the reprocessing magic of the Gungnir, blended with Unison X.x (or whatever), and blended into the Bifrost

I do believe that is Bifrost 2.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #50,447 of 151,238
I have a Vidar with my speakers, which is plenty, but I have thought about moving the Vidar down to handle lower frequency duties (the Vidar delivers incredible bass) and have an Aegir up top. Wonder if anyone here has done this? It seems most do monoblock configurations though.

Gain isn't matched, so it would take some doing to make that work.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #50,449 of 151,238
I swear if @bcowen is as thorough with his record cleaning as he is with his tube preparation before he plugs them in, I do not want to be around for that process. I believe the druids had fewer rituals. I believe the man never leaves the house except to buy more cleaning supplies. :ksc75smile:

I get Amazon to deliver my cleaning supplies. I can't argue about the rest though. :laughing:

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #50,450 of 151,238
I'm actually pleased to see the 20-40 range more popular than me. Um, ~7% users that identify as female. Not so much. :triportsad: When I was in teacher-college (all hail the glass tower of knowledge, OISE-UT), our pedagogues claim that girls hearing (in a classroom setting at least) was more acute than a mob of teenage boys (I was trained to modulate my volume and tone when speaking to different genders and personalities). My gut instincts tell me young men and women really do seem to communicate differently. Meh, my 2 cents. BTW, the following links give me some hope of possible gender equity in this field (that, and I like signal boosting and adding content to newsgroups):
(a) ...2018 episode from S.G.... showcasing, Margery Budoff ....

(b) Here's also a 2009 CNet article showcasing the confessions of a female audiophile.
(c) Meet, Cynthia. The Audiophiliac-For-The-Day...

(d) ...and Melissa. The Audiophiliac-For-The-Day...

(e) ...my spouse and I hash it out. (Acceptance) > (tollerance), eh...

(f) &&&&& And, Ato gets the last word:

Sincerely (not an ally... more of a collaborator),
ScubaMan.

There's ample evidence out there that most women have better hearing than most men. It's a bit sexist though as most men have a naturally occurring notch filter at whatever frequency "nag" is. :grimacing:

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #50,451 of 151,238
Couple shots from RMAF
1.jpg
2.jpg

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #50,453 of 151,238
Ok, Ok
I was just transported away.

A while back someone here suggested an album I was not aware of.
Nanci Griffith, Other Voices | Other Rooms.

I found a used CD copy on Amazon, cheap. It arrived shortly.
At that point I was very busy with some part time consulting work that has found me in retirement.
Several days/late nights of steady work, and several meetings involving out of town drives, in other words I was busy.
The CD just sat on the desk as did all the music. By the time the job was completed I was feeling like crap.
I pushed well beyond the point of needing antibiotics for a chest infection which stoped up my head and kicked up the tinnitus.
And the damn Hurricane was coming, central NC here.
So the CD sat some more.
Today is day 4 of treatment, feeling better. Cooked a good dinner, had a beer, reading Head-Fi and photo sites.
Decided it was time to listen to the CD, three tracks in and I was absorbed into the music, no reading/typing just listening.

62 minutes and 16 seconds later — wow. I needed that.

Long need less story to say, Thanks for the Music.

The tec:
CD -> Cambridge CXc -> coax -> Gungnir MB -> RCA cable -> Pioneer U24 (used as an amp switch, think large SYS used in reverse) -> RCA Cable -> Jotunheim -> balanced out to Sennheiser HD 650. Jotunheim chosen simply because that is where the Sennheiser is plugged in and I felt like they fit my mood tonight.

TMI, hope you don't mind.
Also, I became Grand Dad during all of this, get to visit in a couple of weeks, they live in the UK which explains why I am working in retirement.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #50,454 of 151,238
That Schiit Hel looking kinda niiiiiice. Might be something my area of the Headfi community might be VERY interested in.

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #50,456 of 151,238
That's correct. I own no records.

Never got into it...my first format of choice was cassette--because they worked in car stereo. This is pre-practical-car-CD era. When CDs hit, I went straight into CD (well, by 1984). I still remember Tower Records' CD case being a single end cap on dozens of rows of records and cassettes. I still remember paying like $24 for an import CD (Blancmange) from that end cap.

And no, we're not doing a cassette player. Shudder.

Reel to Reel =) ?

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #50,459 of 151,238
I preferred the ultrasonic needle cleaner with a drop of solvent then the finishing touch of needle goop.

Of course that was then and now I purge cache memory, restart either the player app or the entire OS for a 'streamlining' of the audio machinations.

The tweaks continue, they just morph a bit here and there.
And that 18 min. ritual got REAL old after a while (like decades).

Not to mention the 100's of hours spent dialing in the whole table/arm/cart relationship.
And the ultimate question was, 'what IS level and where do you measure it?'

JJ

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #50,460 of 151,238
What? No LAST™ Record Preservative or Needle Cleaner??

What about the zero-stat static zapping gun (or does the record cleaning machine apply an anti-static coating) to reduce airborne dust attraction during playback?

As far as leveling during the turntable setup process, why not employ a contact-less laser level to project an appropriate horizontal or vertical reference plane?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back