Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #48,871 of 154,125
Harmon Kardon tried to trademark the term "high current amplifier" but it was denied, so be sure your nomenclature is along the lines of Continuity and Nexus. Maybe "HiFlow" or "Bug Zapper." No wait, Bug Zapper would be for a 'Stat amp...

Hi-I? Probably too geeky.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #48,872 of 154,125
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #48,873 of 154,125
What shelving is that?

It is custom using Salamander rods. That is solid walnut instead of the original black shelves. I did not build it, I bought the amp on top. Look up Salamander audio racks.

I plan to build something similar using iron pipe, flanges, and solid maple or cherry.

On the left is Sauder, the light colored cabinet. Just temporary, till I build what I want.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #48,875 of 154,125
I'll have to get the Raal headphones just so I can justify owning a "Weldenheim". I really love the name! Maybe that's where the resistance meets before attacking castle Wolfenstein.
Honestly I thought of Borderlands 2 Wilhelm, or more accurately the Wilhelm scream sound byte....lol

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #48,876 of 154,125
... Having experienced the required 400 hours needed for some of Rick Schultz HFC Magnetic Conduction cable,...The HFC cables sounded better every day. So I know there is "something to" burn-in ...
Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look up "Magnetic Conduction cable"
I'm not saying the products are no good, as I haven't used them, but according to his descriptions of the "technology" it would appear he has very little understanding of audio signals or electricity even.
Perhaps he doesn't want to give away secrets or he is just very bad at explaining ...

for a laugh (or face-palm) ...
https://audiobacon.net/2016/08/02/high-fidelity-ct-1-ultimate-power-cord-and-mc-0-5-review/

http://www.highfidelitycables.com/technology/

the magic of magnetism, used to be a powerful sales gimmick as did radioactivity

https://io9.gizmodo.com/seriously-scary-radioactive-consumer-products-from-the-498044380?IR=T

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #48,877 of 154,125
8274ECEC-823F-4286-BBE1-6B9DC5955437.jpeg
PrimaLuna and Cary do auto bias as I recall, I can be pretty happy combining one or the other with a Gumby and Freya + but YMMV. Now I just need to sneak some Sonus Fabers into my house when my wife is away and pretend like they have always been there when she gets back. :smile_phones:
It is custom using Salamander rods. That is solid walnut instead of the original black shelves. I did not build it, I bought the amp on top. Look up Salamander audio racks.

I plan to build something similar using iron pipe, flanges, and solid maple or cherry.

On the left is Sauder, the light colored cabinet. Just temporary, till I build what I want.

I’ll have to consider that for a smaller easier setup.

I do like making my own too.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #48,878 of 154,125

I’ll have to consider that for a smaller easier setup.

I do like making my own too.
There is a place not far from me that ships 16” x 24” x 3/4” hardwood, sanded on two sides for reasonable prices. I might want the top thicker but this could work.

That is a very pretty cabinet.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #48,879 of 154,125
I have two tubes that are for all intents and purposes, identical, or as close as possible. On both tubes I replaced the solder in the pins just to eliminate that as a factor. Some of the Russian tubes are bad about that and my logic is, you have this combination or tin, lead, rosin, etc that has been sitting unused for 65 years. You put that in an amp and subject it to some heat, not as much as soldering of course, but how does it affect the rosin? Are you suddenly making a little better metal to metal contact inside the pins? The fact that some say the quality goes up and down like a roller coaster made me wonder about that a bit. It is about the only variable I can spot, that and the cleanliness of the outside of the pins but that is a quick and easy remedy. Besides which, these tubes having gone through the hands of @bcowen i know they were well cleaned prior to his testing them.

After tonight one tube will have had 100 hours and once again the two tubes will be compared. Final tests will be just blind listening and even if I cannot spot a measurable difference, perhaps someone with exceptional hearing/listening abilities can consistently pick one tube over the other. Fun stuff.
Not just tubes, I hear this pattern of behavior when breaking in amps and speakers too. Maybe it's entirely in my head, but it's what I hear. In the case of tubes I find most meaningful changes are done by the 20-30 hour mark for the tubes I have had experience with. The only exception to this seems to be the C3g, which seems to take much longer to settle down.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #48,881 of 154,125
@Jason Stoddard Freya+ in black soon please!!! I want to buy one sooo bad but I’m holding out for the black model....my luck I’ll grow too impatient and buy it, then a week later they will release the black model....must be patient...so hard...my SR1A wants the Freya+ in the chain...must resist and wait...please hurry...

:wink:

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #48,882 of 154,125

Do you know where I can get that top nut? I built my own also but dome bolt nut is ugly

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #48,883 of 154,125
Do you know where I can get that top nut? I built my own also but dome bolt nut is ugly

Sorry but no, they probably have it made for their products would be my guess. I have seen a few things that might mount flush and could have a set screw in the side but that depends on the size threaded rod of course

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SMHARD

I do see a few replacement parts out there for Salamander but this would be a very pricey way to go to get the caps lol.

I should mention I learned about Salamander shelving from @FLTWS, I like to give credit where credit is due. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #48,884 of 154,125
Not just tubes, I hear this pattern of behavior when breaking in amps and speakers too. Maybe it's entirely in my head, but it's what I hear. In the case of tubes I find most meaningful changes are done by the 20-30 hour mark for the tubes I have had experience with. The only exception to this seems to be the C3g, which seems to take much longer to settle down.

I did get 100 hours on a Foton tube and I am listening now and comparing it to a fairly new one that started out with the same specs. There is a difference, and with a few quick tests I am going to say that it appears to be measurable as well but I may not get into extensive testing till tomorrow. @bcowen will be pleased. I can see it on VU meters, there is some harshness rounded out but the level is not what the new one reads. Bass seems a bit stronger but that is easy enough to check.

Aug 3, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #48,885 of 154,125

My experience with tubes is quite similar to yours with 20-30 hours being the norm. The Fotons (at least the 6H8C/6N8S) are outliers in that they don't seem to finally hit a steady sonic presentation until you get upwards of 100 hours on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back