Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #48,586 of 150,785
36B3FEEB-E6D1-40C3-9BFF-54EA34824706.jpeg
Our not a cat, Tinker.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #48,591 of 150,785
Next food topic... CHEESE?!

Not sure it is something you really have in the USA is it? :wink:

I feel it is very hard to beat a really good Cheddar like Cornish Quartz or Montgomery. From the continental side I can devour Chaource and 24 month aged Comtê (look up the limits on where the milk can come from it is pretty specific). Yummy!

Now the controversial subject, what to have it with? A French bread, crackers, oatcakes or just on it's own?

Decisions, decisions...

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #48,592 of 150,785
If I were a farmer, I wouldn't feed my pigs our 'well known' US Lagers -- cruelty to animals, etc!
Next thing you know, you've got PETA all up in your business... :deadhorse: (oops...bad emoji choice)

There is a craft brewery not too far from me called Otway Estate. I did a one day brewing course a few years back. One of the interesting things I learned was that they supplied the used up grains from the wort/mash to a local pig farm as the pigs loved it. Said pig farm then supplied them with a ready for the spit pig each xmas for their staff party. Apparently, the piggie was very tasty. :)

Jul 26, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #48,593 of 150,785
The main issue with iTunes organising files is that much of the metadata accessed from t’interweb is rubbish. Just because artist B guests on one song on an album by artist A does not make the album a compilation. The song they guest on should say featuring Artist B, the artist field should not say Artist B featuring Artist A.

[Snip]

I’ve recently had this discussion with the technical support team at Naim and they honestly don't seem to care if the software in their new Uniti range rips albums and then has incorrect metadata or not.

Itunes has an Album Artist field that overrides the Artist field. That way you can have "Singer feat. Guest1" and "Singer feat. Guest2" both sort under "Singer". It works both on the file structure and hard drive.

I use it for my classical albums too. Itunes is renowned for its crappy classical metadata handling so workarounds are necessary. I put the Artist as e.g. Bach and the Album Artist as e.g. Yo Yo Ma.

I don't remember when that field was introduced, however. It may not have been available when the OP had his unfortunate experience.

Most apps use Gracenote to source their track listings. It is possible to submit new listings and corrections, but a lot of the original data was sloppily entered by "just folks" and it shows.

So yes, multi disc albums should properly be listed as 1 of 2, but you get what you get. Fortunately iTunes makes bulk editing easy.

As for Naim I don't ever recall reading even the slightest hint that they care what people think -- just look at their gear!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #48,595 of 150,785
You need a loudspeaker selector switch. I recommend one that does impedance matching and which completely separates the signal paths. The one I have used in the past with excellent results is the Niles SS-4. There are several similar products out there most much less expensive, but I say if putting a switch into your signal path it should be a quality item, and Niles makes quality items.

Thanks. I will check it out. I am not sure about the impedance matching. I just need a switch so i wont have to reach out the back and unplug and plug things. Maybe you mentioned impedance matching because some how its expected that the switching will happen when the amp is on? In my case i plan to turn it off and make the switch and then turn it on.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #48,596 of 150,785
Thanks. I will check it out. I am not sure about the impedance matching. I just need a switch so i wont have to reach out the back and unplug and plug things. Maybe you mentioned impedance matching because some how its expected that the switching will happen when the amp is on? In my case i plan to turn it off and make the switch and then turn it on.
Yes that's what it's for but even if you expect to always switch with the amp off, I still recommend a switch from Niles.

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #48,599 of 150,785
The one I have used in the past with excellent results is the Niles SS-4. There are several similar products out there most much less expensive, but I say if putting a switch into your signal path it should be a quality item, and Niles makes quality items.
Looking at the Niles website. I love their High Performance Rock Loudspeaker.

Haven't seen it on anybody's signature :). Somebody needs to try it on an Aegir or Vidar. It actually needs a bit of oomph (4 ohm impedance, 88 db sensitivity).

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #48,600 of 150,785
Looking at the Niles website. I love their High Performance Rock Loudspeaker.

Haven't seen it on anybody's signature :). Somebody needs to try it on an Aegir or Vidar. It actually needs a bit of oomph (4 ohm impedance, 88 db sensitivity).

Too much pareidolia on the one on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back