Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #48,556 of 148,628
You know how to fix that in iTunes. Make sure your same albums all have exactly the same name and they’ll merge, I’m sure at present they are not identical except with different titles...feat etc

That may be true now. Wasn't when I first had this problem. I learned a bit late that I can un-check the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" box and it will leave the file structure alone. I'm a little OCD with meta-data and having another program manipulate the file structure that I took great care to create is a non-starter for me.

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #48,557 of 148,628
Every time the topic of music files comes up I thank Zod that I have absolutely NO trace of OCD and I could not care less how the files are organized or not, and what meta data exists or not, as long as my player can see them and let me play them. Roon found every file on my server including some I didn't know were there and presents them to me in several ways for use. It lets me be as unorganized as I like since it does it for me on the UI side. I still use iTunes for ripping CDs and for loading music onto my iPhone, and Roon does not care about iTune's weird file storage system of Compilations or Various Artists. I've been a happy camper since the day I abandoned Logitech Media Server for Roon.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #48,558 of 148,628
What measurement microphone do you use? The supplied bundle microphone looks like it's a re-branded U-MIK1 from Mini-DSP.
Software price is in the same ball park as Dirac Live. Dirac has no headphone pre-sets, is only for speakers, but can also support multi-channel in the more expensive version.
Yes mic from sonarworks, the mic has a serial nr with a curve registered online and is considered with the calibration. Sonarworks you can get with mic for $299. Dirac Live 2.0. I can only find for $449

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #48,559 of 148,628
Every time the topic of music files comes up I thank Zod that I have absolutely NO trace of OCD and I could not care less how the files are organized or not, and what meta data exists or not, as long as my player can see them and let me play them. Roon found every file on my server including some I didn't know were there and presents them to me in several ways for use. It lets me be as unorganized as I like since it does it for me on the UI side. I still use iTunes for ripping CDs and for loading music onto my iPhone, and Roon does not care about iTune's weird file storage system of Compilations or Various Artists. I've been a happy camper since the day I abandoned Logitech Media Server for Roon.
I agree wholeheartedly===as long as I can FIND what I want to play, the absolute organization is irrelevant.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #48,560 of 148,628
I'm very happy that I only got serious about music listening a year and a half ago, and all I have to worry about is finding new music on Spotify, with occasional testing of Qobuz or tidal.

Find music on phone, cast to desired device, pour a cup of coffee, or make a whisky, or crack a beer and done. Sweet music with minimal effort or fussiness.

More time to read this thread and learn about a variety of topics.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #48,562 of 148,628
The majority of beer in the US is served too cold, whether craft, lager or ale.
Often in bars they serve it in a frozen mug so the beer is near-freezing temperature.
At that temp, it's impossible to taste the beer itself. It's more like a low-alcohol popsicle.
OK, back to Roon now :)

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #48,564 of 148,628
We made some ice cubes one time, but they sucked.
We were more successful at removing the water from watermelons and replacing it with vodka :)

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #48,565 of 148,628
Have you ever tried making a high-alcohol popsicle? It's difficult. :wink:

Liquid nitrogen, my friend, liquid nitrogen. Just be careful about licking the damn thing, much less swallowing a chunk. :fearful:

If someone wearing thick insulated mitts offers you a popsicle, run like hell! :runner:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #48,567 of 148,628
Here in Arizona there are several good craft brewers. My favorites are Four Peaks Kiltlifter, a good Scottish ale; San Tan Devil's Ale, an amber American pale ale similar to some west coast IPAs; and the Oak Creek Brewing Company Nut Brown Ale, which is similar to many British brown ales I have enjoyed in Old Blighty. My most favorite beer in the world (so far) is Castlemaine XXXX Bitter from Queensland, Australia.
The Kiltlifter is a fine, fine ale. Had a few pints when I was living in AZ.

If you enjoy mead, Superstition in Prescott has some excellent choices IMO. Their staff is also a blast.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #48,568 of 148,628
The Kiltlifter is a fine, fine ale. Had a few pints when I was living in AZ.

If you enjoy mead, Superstition in Prescott has some excellent choices IMO. Their staff is also a blast.

You folks need to be introduced to 'Old Peculiar', but not that bottled stuff that's sometimes available in the US.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #48,569 of 148,628
You folks need to be introduced to 'Old Peculiar', but not that bottled stuff that's sometimes available in the US.
We've met several times, but I'd certainly enjoy a re-introduction. My last visit was for a pint or two or... when I was in England/Scotland over the previous Christmas holiday.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #48,570 of 148,628
Assuming you aren't interested in Roon yet, Volume is certainly competent but a couple of things I don't like: 1) There is a brick wall between locally stored files and streaming service favorites. 2) Streaming favorites can't be sorted in any useful way. 3) And expect to pay extra to access Tidal or Qobuz.

As a roon endpoint the Digione is excellent. Exceptional sound with a $50 iFi power supply.

I just moved. Moving expenses have left my wallet cowering in a corner, whimpering. US$500+ for a piece of software is not realistic for me right now, so you are right about Roon.

I don't know enough about Volumio (or Roon) to know how much the favourites thing would impact me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back