Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #47,507 of 150,380
So, 24 Watts in 32 Ohms. Does this make the amp suitable for headphones with double digit Ohm loads? I have a whole bunch of Sennheiser HDs with 150/300 Ohms but my Elear is rated at 80 Ohm. Will it blow my head off if I go beyond 8 o‘clock on the volume knob or will I still have decent volume control on the lowest gain setting?

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #47,508 of 150,380
So Rag 1 is out completely? That I did not expect. I thought that thing is gonna hang around for a while.

If we have any, they'll show up in closeout. Ask amy@schiit.com if you're interested.

So, 24 Watts in 32 Ohms. Does this make the amp suitable for headphones with double digit Ohm loads? I have a whole bunch of Sennheiser HDs with 150/300 Ohms but my Elear is rated at 80 Ohm. Will it blow my head off if I go beyond 8 o‘clock on the volume knob or will I still have decent volume control on the lowest gain setting?

Power ratings at various loads are in the Specs section of the site. You'll have plenty of control over gain, with the volume control at noon it's still 40dB attenuated, and each click is 0.625db.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #47,509 of 150,380

:ksc75smile:

I think Rag 1 blends much better with Yggy (visually). Rag 2 certainly looks a bit like it got assimilated into the Borg collective.

But you know, there's beauty under there... :spy:

Yes Ragnarok 1 blends better with Yggy but I still think Ragnarok 2 will still go well with it. I actually think the new Ragnarok looks great and there may be no real compromises in build quality or looks though cheaper chassis. If it truly sounds better than the Ragnarok 1 with high and low impedance speakers then I will have to say I am very impressed with the new price. A little concerned about the lower class A bias.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #47,511 of 150,380
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #47,512 of 150,380
I wonder how the performance of the phono and Multibit DAC cards compare to the Mani and Modi Multibit, respectively.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #47,513 of 150,380
What's wrong with bromance, singular? Race doesn't matter.

I believe that Europeans are also Caucasian, as am I.
Not a "bromance" like our current POTUS and his buddies Kim and Putin.

I felt the need to apologize for poking fun at a fellow Head-Fi respondent, and I was rather ashamed at the reception I was giving a newcomer, over nothing really mission critical.
I am slowly learning that my "humor" is neither appreciated or understood, and I hate to come off Boorish and representative of the "Ugly American" that many Dutchies have learned to tolerate--especially 'Reefer connoisseurs' from New York, who enter a Coffeeshop bragging loudly about all the weed they smoke back home.

One fellow, a real ass, demanded "the strongest stuff you have" and prompted fell out after the first puff. I had to laugh. The "Budtender" said to me, "Bob, you are not like most Americans..."

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #47,514 of 150,380
I'll happily stay with my Rag 1, it's a great sounding amp especially if you can use the balanced out with HP's. The only issue I have is 64 steps isn't enough, too large, and lack of remote doesn't upset me as I never planned to use it as a speaker amp. But remote capability could be important depending on one's layout, especially with speakers.

But I am very interested to see what the CD spinner will be bringing to the table. That could be a day 1 for me.

Edit; looks like they sold out the last of the Rag 1's.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #47,515 of 150,380

An amplifier's gain and its power are two different things as you know.
To make it clear, if you have a 10kW amp with unity gain, speak gain=0dB or 0x, and your source just delivers 2V, then it will easily drive low ohmic headphones. Will the p blow your ears? Depends of the efficiency, so how many volts does it need to play a certain volume.
If you have a sissy amp with "just" 0,1A or 100mA, but have a voltage swing of 30V, then it will not be appropriate for your 32Ohm cans, but will drive your 150 ohmic headphones with grace.
Power P=U²/R and P=I²*R. The lower power is the limiting real power. (Of cause the Ohmic Laws are only for steady volts, but you get the idea.)

Ah, so, your headamp will deliver the voltage and current to your headphone to the limit it is capable of. Ears are easily destroyed, even with today's standards of weak amps.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #47,516 of 150,380
An amplifier's gain and its power are two different things as you know.
To make it clear, if you have a 10kW amp with unity gain, speak gain=0dB or 0x, and your source just delivers 2V, then it will easily drive low ohmic headphones. Will the p blow your ears? Depends of the efficiency, so how many volts does it need to play a certain volume.
If you have a sissy amp with "just" 0,1A or 100mA, but have a voltage swing of 30V, then it will not be appropriate for your 32Ohm cans, but will drive your 150 ohmic headphones with grace.
Power P=U²/R and P=I²*R. The lower power is the limiting real power. (Of cause the Ohmic Laws are only for steady volts, but you get the idea.)

Ah, so, your headamp will deliver the voltage and current to your headphone to the limit it is capable of. Ears are easily destroyed, even with today's standards of weak amps.

Let‘s just say physics is not my forté. :ksc75smile:

I appreciate your scientific approach. What I can read out of it is basically YMMV depending on your cans sensitivity. Right? Just like a speaker amps watt count does not automatically transform into ample volume but is dependent on the speakers sensitivity noted in db.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #47,517 of 150,380
ragnarok%202%20in%20situ%201920.jpg

where can i buy these cute little cubes?

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #47,520 of 150,380
Let‘s just say physics is not my forté. :ksc75smile:

I appreciate your scientific approach. What I can read out of it is basically YMMV depending on your cans sensitivity. Right? Just like a speaker amps watt count does not automatically transform into ample volume but is dependent on the speakers sensitivity noted in db.

Generally if you don't have a completely inefficient headphone every well designed amp should be capable of driving it. 600Ohms are not hard to drive, your amp just have to have some (normal) voltage swing. But every headphone in the middle ohmic region is easy to drive, say 100-300Ohms. Smartphones are different, but obviously not headphone amps.
Ah, these formulas are as simple as it gets. just put in some numbers an you'll get an idea.
Have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back