Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #47,011 of 151,315
Old English is a first cousin to Old Frisian (from the Germanic branch of Indo-European), the subject was Modern English, and it had changed quite a bit from Old English.
Vide.
Old English:
Fyrst forð gewát flota wæs on ýðum bát under beorge beornas gearwe on stefn stigon ...
Modern English:
Time passed by; the ship was on the waves, the boat under the cliffs; the ready warriors stepped up into the prow

translation from http://www.heorot.dk/beowulf-rede-text.html

edit: In short, I think probably England did own Modern English, at least until it was inherited by its colonies. :slight_smile:
I understand all as Frisian is quite similar to Dutch :ksc75smile:

May 30, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #47,012 of 151,315
But the website says "in stock"?

And if it were backordered, it could in fact simply be backordered. You're reading a lot into it and Jason keeps cautioning against conspiracy theories.
But only available in black. So seems like it is going the same path as Saga and Ragnarok out of production or into production in another form :)

May 30, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #47,014 of 151,315
Is there any difference in quality of the source switching between the SYS, Saga (S,+) and Freya (S,+)?

Other than the obvious in Freya being balanced capable, are any of the preamps better at switching sources than the other? Or are they all equally capable at maintaining the integrity of the input signal to output signal?

May 30, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #47,015 of 151,315
I understand all as Frisian is quite similar to Dutch :ksc75smile:
But according to Google translate, from the English the Dutch is

De tijd ging voorbij, het schip lag op de golven, de boot onder de rotsen; de gereedstaande krijgers stapten de boeg op
which doesn't look much like Old Frisian to me :confused:

I don't know Dutch, the only Dutch people I knew spoke English - they said no one could bother to learn Dutch so they learnt English :slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #47,017 of 151,315
But according to Google translate, from the English the Dutch is

De tijd ging voorbij, het schip lag op de golven, de boot onder de rotsen; de gereedstaande krijgers stapten de boeg op
which doesn't look much like Old Frisian to me :confused:

I don't know Dutch, the only Dutch people I knew spoke English - they said no one could bother to learn Dutch so they learnt English :slight_smile:
yes nobody learns Dutch because nobody speaks Dutch to them :)
My wife is Portuguese and when I am with her in the AH supermarket they speak even English with me!

In Spain that problem does not exist. Different problems though, from own experience:
How do I say in Spanish 'I am' ? Tu es. That is you are, that I know but how do I say 'I am' ? Tu es. and so on :)

May 30, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #47,019 of 151,315
How do I say in Spanish 'I am' ? Tu es. That is you are, that I know but how do I say 'I am' ? Tu es. and so on :)
That's French for `you are` (personal) and je suis `I am`, Spanish [yo] soy, - like Latin [ego] sum - doesn't require the pronoun? - if that was the case in English this whole language thing would never have started :confounded:
(French from school, Spanish from interwebs)

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #47,020 of 151,315
That's French for `you are` (personal) and je suis `I am`, Spanish [yo] soy, - like Latin [sum] doesn't require the pronoun? - if that was the case in English this whole language thing would never have started :confounded:
(French from school, Spanish from interwebs)

Took French in school as well...talk about time well spent! :wink:

(j'étais un idiot. btw...does schiit sell their products under the merde tradename in france?)

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #47,023 of 151,315
I currently own 4 headphone amps, in ascending cost order: Lyr 3 and Apex Peak, both 6SN7 tube-solid state hybrids, Neurochrome HP-1 and and Phonitor XE, solid state. For the tube amps, I've played with a variety of NOS and new tubes, both currently with Psvane tubes. I prefer the tube hybrids for solo or small-ensemble music, the Neurochrome or the Phonitor XE for big orchestral works. Between Lyr 3 and Apex Peak, the differences are not huge, and in fact Lyr 3 is better for low-impedance headphones like the Æon Closed. For very well recorded small-ensemble material, I definitely prefer the Peak (I better, with its volcano LPS its cost new was 2.5x the Lyr 3). But if you are using headphones only, I can't imagine circumstances where Rag2+tube pre would be a first choice, rather than getting a Lyr 3, doing a bit of tube rolling, and taking your time to ponder next steps. If you want tubes in the mix, Lyr 3 really grows with DAC and headphones, you need to go a lot more expensive to detect any improvement over it.

Thank you for the great response. After posting about pre-amp plus Rag2 I thought to myself, wow that would be a lot! A lot of equipment, cables and space. I am looking for a somewhat end game solution for my desk setup, which does include small monitors. Currently I am running a 2Qute to a Gilmore lite MK2 and although i really like the setup, I am after something with some more power. I had a Jotunheim for a while but ended up selling it in favor of a Mojo portable setup i was using. The Lyr 3 intrigues me, as it did when it was first released and I may just take your advice and start their with tubes. I recently sold away my WA-7, while a nice sounding amp, the lack of available tubes for the amp was disappointing and rankly, I think the Gilmore sounds better.

Would anyone be able to comment on the pairing of the Lyr 3 or Jotunheim with Auteurs? The THX789 and the Monolith 788 are also options I suppose, but not sure they would be a good match.

May 30, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #47,024 of 151,315
May 30, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #47,025 of 151,315

Users who are viewing this thread

Back