Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #41,941 of 151,619
Well, I've been a gamer all my life, just as long as I've been an audio enthusiast... let's not generalize.

Again, I am refering to folks who respond to the forums as the gamers who were 'blissfully ignorant'--no generalization intended. I know people who are gamers, and they are good people. Its not something I fancy, but I am older. I once got to a certain level of Tetris (yes,I am that old) and felt a great accomplishment in doing so. But, frankly I have enough issues in this reality, I don't need to pick any fights in an alternate universe.

LOL, this is the chapter: we finally have enough stock to fill channels, so we're filling them (plus we have some Modi 2s to move out).

Want a longer chapter? Cool. Here it is: We've been trying all year to have enough stock to fill channels, with the plan of being back up everywhere by October. As usual, things didn't work as planned, so we're a little late opening the channels. Now we are. At least it's not December!

For those who like to purchase on Amazon, enjoy!

I am glad to know the channels are now filled with Schiit! Is black something 'old, tried, and decided against', or a possibility for new items? I know nothing about the process involved, but I would like to see if it is possible as an option.

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #41,942 of 151,619
i tend to stay out of discussions on such websites so maybe that is why my experiences have been good at Massdrop. I generally come back to Head-Fi if I want to read opinions about a Topping DX-7 or Sennheiser 6xx or whatever. I also rarely read reviews unless I want to learn about new products, if they have features and specs I seek then I might talk to people I know and trust who may have heard the product. Often I will buy things just to see how they compare to other products I own but at the end of the day, I may love or hate products that folks have the opposite opinion about but such is life.

I will read reviews to learn about the reviewers as well. If they have reviewed something that I find hurting, I'll look at why. (And, vice versa, of course.)

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #41,943 of 151,619
I once got to a certain level of Tetris (yes,I am that old) and felt a great accomplishment in doing so.

Funnily enough, Tetris was my very first computer game as well (loaded from a magnetic tape)... I didn't stop there, though. :)

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #41,944 of 151,619
You know: “Oh, they’re just a marketing company.”

Well, you are a marketing company. As others have said, Schiit is an extension of you and Mike, and it reflects that. You've spent a huge part of your life in that sphere, so it's like wearing a comfortable jacket.

I look at your marketing style as a descendant of Joseph Sugarman and Associates (and all the imitators, and predecessors maybe who I'm not crediting). You may take that as a terrible insult, given that JS&A also gave birth to The Sharper Image and other companies based solely on marketing. But it's not meant as such. It's just how your conversational marketing style reads as.

It depends on what you are selling, and if the sizzle is backed by a real steak or not. In your case, it passes the @Ableza test of, "can you hear the flaws? No? Then it doesn't matter. The hum is 140 dB down and you wouldn't know it was there if it didn't show up on someone's measurements." In other words, making it for listeners rather than instruments to measure.

I don't know where I was going with that except that you're making it good enough to listen to, and that's good enough for me. Keep on doing what you're doing.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #41,946 of 151,619
I love my Modi 3 and Magni 3 stack in silver, it's gorgeous, especially the changes they have made to the silver over 3 generations now. It's quite lovely. imo that is Schiit's best marketing tool ever, is that clean silver look across the entire product line, if you do black, might as well do another color too... ruins the "image" imo but to each their own I suppose

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #41,947 of 151,619
I think it's old and not indicative of them re-introducing black as an option. I suspect a stash of old Modi 2 Uber in black DACs was found in Mike's house -- likely used to level his coffee table and SOL turntable, with a few more found in the trunk of his car for use as chocks so his car won't roll when parked on an on an incline. I'm not 100% sure, but I can't really put anything past Mike. :D

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #41,948 of 151,619
Isn't it funny how we all think to have a say in Schiit strategics just because they get to the trouble of talking to us here?

Well, it's a discussion, not a directive. Usually it goes like:

Someone: I want VU meters.
Jason: No.
Someone: *pout*
And sometimes it goes like:

Someone: Could you do black?
Jason: I'd rather not do designer colors.
Someone: *pout*
Jason: We had some damaged metal, so we powder coated it and put it up to see if it would sell.
Many: *buy buy buy*
Jason: Oooooookay, maybe I'll do that more.
People ask for the strangest things, and sometime, people actually get it right. But you never know without a conversation. Fulla2 came out of a conversation!

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #41,949 of 151,619
I like my Bose SoundLink Mini I. It was an awakening after all the nonsense I've heard about them in the online audio communities. Great little BT speaker.

I also like my Schiit Mani, Modi 2, Magni 3, SYS, Vali 2, Lyr 2, and Bifrost. And the Loki arrives Friday. Why y'all gotta market so hard, damn...

And where is my Schiit polo?

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #41,950 of 151,619
I like my Bose SoundLink Mini I. It was an awakening after all the nonsense I've heard about them in the online audio communities. Great little BT speaker.

I also like my Schiit Mani, Modi 2, Magni 3, SYS, Vali 2, Lyr 2, and Bifrost. And the Loki arrives Friday. Why y'all gotta market so hard, damn...

And where is my Schiit polo?

How about a "TEAM SCHIIT" baseball cap?

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #41,951 of 151,619
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #41,953 of 151,619
How about a "TEAM SCHIIT" baseball cap?

+1 on the hat, I own the one pictured here and this is probably a good lesson in marketing as well.

https://bottlehead.com/bottlehead-products/

This one is marked on the inside, "one size fits most" so yeah it probably would not be a good fit for some. It is the style I like, cotton twill What I could not abide were some things from the eighties that had this large foam front as tall or taller than the rest of the hat. blechhhhh

Oh yeah, those are good sellers for Bottlehead since they have been selling them since 2001 or before.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #41,954 of 151,619
I love my Modi 3 and Magni 3 stack in silver, it's gorgeous, especially the changes they have made to the silver over 3 generations now. It's quite lovely. imo that is Schiit's best marketing tool ever, is that clean silver look across the entire product line, if you do black, might as well do another color too... ruins the "image" imo but to each their own I suppose
I anyone else punning their way into a lovely chocolate brown, or is it just me?

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #41,955 of 151,619
Re: customer service. I remember pestering them about my EITR purchase. Would it really improve my Modi’s output? I repect them being honest & patient with me. Has my EITR improved my set up - maybe?! I guess I was just lucky to have low-interference USB-sources (or have ears that just can’t tell the difference). Meh, I’m keeping my EITR.

A question of geography ... out there on the North Bruce Peninsula, jutting out into Lake Huron (google it, y'all), is the climate more temperate (due to the surrounding water), or just cold as Hell like the up-wind areas to the West of Lake Michigan (for example, Appleton, WI).
Thx in advance mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back