Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #41,911 of 150,417
Good points.

Some of this is based on what I do everyday, and what I know that Mike and Dave and Ivana work on every day. It certainly doesn't feel like marketing! Heck, my Photoshop Phollies and writing-blather are what I consider to be "fun stuff," to do when I want to wind down. My day to day feels like engineering, not marketing. I'm in engineering mode much much much more than in marketing mode.

Now--thinking that the engineering I'm doing is wrong (as in, why waste time with hybrids, etc) is a whole 'another ball game. That's fine. That's an opinion. Don't like hybrids? Think that affects all our engineering? There are a ton of great options out there for you. That's the point of a vibrant market, rather than a monoculture.

(And, in the end, I think if you asked Stone if they were a marketing company or brewing company, I bet they'd say the latter.)
I think it is all about honesty and your values. It comes through and that is a skill! Keep up the good work. More companies like Schiit Audio makes the world a better place. I mean we don’t need companies like Monsanto, just saying.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #41,912 of 150,417
Interesting topic and well said @Jason Stoddard, in light of certain discussions else where on the interweb. I don't need to defend Schiit, they're ethos in their products speak for themselves!

I think Schiit marketing is successful, as it gets the message across! It's not over the top and it's not a pathetic ad in a lonely-hearts column of your local newspaper!

Over the years, I've read/watched quite a few interviews of Jason and Mike. Always a great read/watch as they are quite open and honest on who and what they are! The company is like an extension of themselves, which gives Schiit a soul, Schiit-Soul, if you will!

A highly educated and courageous company, I believe! Not afraid to admit faults and is humble in their successes, good on them!

RESPECT!

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #41,913 of 150,417
I disagree. Massdrop has become a potent force in the headphone community with close ties to Head-Fi. If you look at the Massdrop branded products and exclusive offers, they have gone deeply into specialized areas of the headphone world. They have also done this in some other specialized hobbyist/collector areas such as flashlights and knives. The current drops in their "Audiophile" community are currently 100% headphone related: https://www.massdrop.com/audiophile/drops. The target audience for these products is not "blissfully ignorant morons".

I am sorry, I was reacting to the experience I have had on Massdrop FORUMS (blissfully ignorant morons) which is to say I agree that they are targeting the HP community with good value products. But, the folks I have encountered in the forum discussions are not audiophiles, they are audio-trolls always looking for a fight.

Do you ever write something, and then when you read it back, a whole part was never typed ? And I certainly thought the deleted portion of the quote buttress my opinion. "My two cents worth about Massdrop...Some unrepentant, and virulent Haters seem to dominate discussion in the comments section. Any attempt to interject a different opinion about anything is met with a crowd of torch-bearing and pitch-fork wielding zealots. The phenomena of over-reaction by fanboys seems to be a consistant feature, with ad hominum attacks the fare of the day.

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #41,914 of 150,417
The world is full of trolls, certain massdrop product threads have more trolls then this thread, but there are quality opinions out there.

It was the HD6XX threads that introduced me to the Schiit brand in a positive manner.

I have bought more in dollar value from Schiit then Massdrop, but I have made more purchases on Massdrop. They have a large variety of items, some good, others not so much. They are by no means perfect. As far as company image goes I prefer Schiit, they seem more inclined to respond to user questions and complaints. Massdrop doesn't seem to take feedback to heart, and some of their practices and "drops" leave a person wishing for more transparency and openness. Again both companies have their place, neither is perfect, which is ok, I'm not either.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #41,915 of 150,417
I disagree. Massdrop has become a potent force in the headphone community with close ties to Head-Fi. If you look at the Massdrop branded products and exclusive offers, they have gone deeply into specialized areas of the headphone world. They have also done this in some other specialized hobbyist/collector areas such as flashlights and knives. The current drops in their "Audiophile" community are currently 100% headphone related: https://www.massdrop.com/audiophile/drops. The target audience for these products is not "blissfully ignorant morons".
Agreed - if you’re a pepper nutcase (I am), Peugeot mills are the bomb, and Massdrop’s prices on them are great. Other categories (communities are well thought-out and stocked as well.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #41,916 of 150,417
I am sorry, I was reacting to the experience I have had on Massdrop FORUMS (blissfully ignorant morons) which is to say I agree that they are targeting the HP community with good value products. But, the folks I have encountered in the forum discussions are not audiophiles, they are audio-trolls always looking for a fight.

Do you ever write something, and then when you read it back, a whole part was never typed ? And I certainly thought the deleted portion of the quote buttress my opinion. "My two cents worth about Massdrop...Some unrepentant, and virulent Haters seem to dominate discussion in the comments section. Any attempt to interject a different opinion about anything is met with a crowd of torch-bearing and pitch-fork wielding zealots. The phenomena of over-reaction by fanboys seems to be a consistant feature, with ad hominum attacks the fare of the day.
Happens everywhere, darnit, and I do that all the time...

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #41,917 of 150,417
As someone who just hooked up my Modi 3 to several of my amps, I know for a fact Schiit is engineerig before marketing. It's the best damn DAC I have ever heard, sounds better than Modi Multibit imo. I am using an Apple wall wart for it and optical.

Lyr 3 didn't impress me, but vali 2, modi 3, magni 3 did blow me away, and the overall clean look of the engineering is just spot on and perfect. I will be buying more schiit products someday. Bring us budget electrostatic amp and headphone combo! haha I can dream

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #41,918 of 150,417
With my EITR, I’ve reached the zenith of my set up. Now, to pay off the IOU I have with my household. :ksc75smile:

We have a company here called, Lee Valley Tools. They stock a variety of “things”. With your favourable US/CDN dollar exchange, it can satisfy your $10 limit. They’re a class-act. Here’s their link...
I bought their "Lumber Storage System". Solid item. Won't fit in a stocking. Costs more than $10. Also bought their "Lifetime Measuring Cups". Also a solid quality item. I always enjoy thumbing through their catalogs.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #41,919 of 150,417
why waste time with hybrids
Because they sound great? Lyr 3 opened my ears to what a well-chosen tube can bring to my musical experience at home.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #41,920 of 150,417
Some people will troll as a backlash against the cult of Schiit. Let's face it, there is a cultish atmosphere among Schiit enthusiasts (us vs. them, attitude of superiority, etc) — not unlike Apple fanboys — that will rub some people the wrong way and provoke a backlash.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #41,921 of 150,417
there is a cultish atmosphere among Schiit enthusiasts
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #41,922 of 150,417

Well that I definitely agree with. I think there is a bit of, if not a lot of, crossover from reddit to the massdrop forum or comments sections. Your comment about blissfully ignorant morons definitely describes a lot of reddit. Things turn into giant circlejerks and then on top of that people feel the need to inform people especially when a product is viewed negatively, rightly or wrongly, in search of worthless internet karma....people repeat a lot of things they read but don't have any actual experience with that they are talking about sometimes and dont really know about what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #41,923 of 150,417
Some people will troll as a backlash against the cult of Schiit. Let's face it, there is a cultish atmosphere among Schiit enthusiasts (us vs. them, attitude of superiority, etc) — not unlike Apple fanboys — that will rub some people the wrong way and provoke a backlash.

To be fair, that happens with many other manufacturers too. Different forums have their darling companies/products, and the rest are sh** on. Some high profile or popular companies are also targeted just because they happen to be popular.
Also on Head-Fi, you only need to go to another manufacturer's product pages to see negative views on their competition. Not all of Head-Fi adores Schiit, Chord or whichever manufacturer you can think of.

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #41,925 of 150,417
YES! THIS!!

Just recently encountered the marketing slur on Massdrop... it’s one of the things that’s made me a bit cynical of the Massdrop community lately :/

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier/talk/2269557

(I tried to defend schiit, as it pissed me off that people, especially a member of the trade, was making blind accusations of schiit. That’s just poor style. I’m pure5152 on Massdrop.)

Wow... there are some heavy hitters across the interwebs in that chat....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back