Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 26, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #3,980 of 153,708
<SNIP>  

2. People are almost always willing to pay a fair price for access to creative works.....

3. If the work is too expensive, or unavailable, people will resort to other means in order to get it, including piracy and copying. Unfortunately, most of the industry doesn't realize that once they start down the piracy path, it's hard to get them back to the paying path.

<SNIP>

Or, in simple terms, people have to want to pay a price that they consider fair, or they'll simply copy it.

It is, quite simply, a different world. Things have changed. And the sooner you accept that, the better you'll do. It just seems that some people, and companies, have a hard time accepting the fact of change, and that they will have to adapt in order to prosper.

This is exactly correct, and what Steve Jobs figured out in creating the iTunes Music Store model and succeeded in getting the music companies to sign on to, which they originally did not want to do. It was only when Jobs figuratively smacked them upside the head with the facts that they were losing major revenue due to declining CD sales that got them to wake up.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,983 of 153,708
  It is with mounting trepidation that I navigate this thread as of late as I find that my mind is becoming exceedingly exercised and vexed with all the off topic verbiage that finds it's way into this usually highly informative thread in a way which induces me to attempt to keep up with the current topic under discussion with a sense that I am falling behind like a man on crutches in a marathon race all the while soldiering on in the misguided belief that it will all make sense in the end and yet with the nagging feeling of a foreboding doom as the mental clouds gather on the horizon of my understanding and a deep and growing conviction that the finish line is receding at a greater pace than my forward progress and on top of that there is the continual and ever increasing change in the off topic subjects and misunderstanding generated thereby which have to be navigated with extreme caution lest I myself should be seen to be adding to the noise that all this discussion is adding to this otherwise informative thread and the only thing that keeps me hanging on is the prospect of Jason and/or one of his cronies posting some further incisive and informative data which has the effect of spurring myself on until the next post is negotiated that once again causes a moment of despair as it is percieved that another red herring has once again thrown this thread off topic which necessitates further trepidation as one ponders on how long it will take for the resumption of topicality to be achieved whilst all the other posters here are totally oblivious to the stress this generates to those poor benighted truth seekers who come here for relevant enlightenment.

noun
1. the practice or system of using certain conventional marks or characters in writing or printing in order to separate elements and make the meaning clear, as in ending a sentence or separating clauses. [definition of "punctuation"]

Seriously, good point. :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #3,984 of 153,708

Reminds me of Vince Gill opinion on value of music:

“The devaluation of music and what it’s now deemed to be worth is laughable to me. My single costs 99 cents. That’s what a [single] cost in 1960.
On my phone, I can get an app for 99 cents that makes fart noises — the same price as the thing I create and speak to the world with. Some would say the fart app is more important. It’s an awkward time. Creative brains are being sorely mistreated.”

Well, I've got my own opinion on the value of Vince Gill's music... but I'll keep that to myself 
cool.gif

One question to Mr. Gill would be what value or worth does he place on the vastly broader audience he can reach by selling his singles for 99 cents today, compared to the audience he could reach in 1960? Things have changed and those with creative brains have new/broader avenues to get their art out there.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3,985 of 153,708

Well, I've got my own opinion on the value of Vince Gill's music... but I'll keep that to myself 
cool.gif

One question to Mr. Gill would be what value or worth does he place on the vastly broader audience he can reach by selling his singles for 99 cents today, compared to the audience he could reach in 1960? Things have changed and those with creative brains have new/broader avenues to get their art out there.

I never heard his music before so I can't judge, but that is not his point. I guess this applies to all musicians/bands, be they famous or not.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3,986 of 153,708
  I never heard his music before so I can't judge, but that is not his point. I guess this applies to all musicians/bands, be they famous or not.

Yep, I realize he's talking about all all musicians/bands... I was just being coy about my impressions of his music (weak humor).

But my point applies to all musicians/bands as well. In theory, the new distribution methods (streaming, downloads, etc.) mean that more artists have more opportunity to reach a wider audience... if they have the creativity to take advantage of it.

I guess if value is going to be defined in dollars (or reals, or euros, or what-have-you), you could flip the equation and instead of looking at the per unit cost of 99 cents consider the total revenue generated by all the downloads of that single. Yeah, I know, the commodification of art... but that's nothing new. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,987 of 153,708
Nowadays recording (home studios) and distribution (digital files, streaming, youtube) means it is very cheap for a new artist/band to get started. That is why we have some many compared to old days when recording and pressing was expensive, so record labels only signed the best (most commercial) ones. Now we have so many that it is hard to sort through them and find the ones we like (paralysis by analysis), while before there were fewer options and they were pre-filtered by the recording industry. Today is more democratic for sure. But the consequence is this low price for their music.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #3,989 of 153,708
Well, I've got my own opinion on the value of Vince Gill's music... but I'll keep that to myself :cool:

So...I had the same 'opinion' of Vince Gill's capabilities until I saw him at Clapton's Crossroads Festival. The guy can flat out play guitar. Says something that he's a regular at this festival...guess he passes Clapton's criteria!

A few videos showing him on different styles of music

With Sting & Dave Mathews - Beatles Saw Her Standing there (solo at 1:30).
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1lwbN5l57U[/VIDEO]

Tribute to Duane Allman (using Allman's '57 Les Paul)...audio is spotty but it show's Gill's capabilities to play a haunting guitar solo with feeling. The solos are at 3:25 & 5:40 & 10:45..second is very good but turn off the screen and listen to the third one is it Vince or Duane? :wink:
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIWvfYKGH38[/VIDEO]

Duet with Earl Klugh (solo at 2:10)
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx9fsNBr4ao[/VIDEO]

And yes, he can play country (solo at 2:41)
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ckXEO9_wM[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back