Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 10, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #39,842 of 151,558
Hey guys,

If I get a chance to review and edit, I should have a chapter up on Aegir tomorrow.

Some pre-replies:

1. Yep, I know, this low-power amp ain't for everyone.
2. Yep, I know, not everyone will understand why we're doing it.
3. Yep, I know, this whole Class A thing is confusing.
4. Yep, I know, 10W of Class A bias doesn't sound like much.

But....if that 10W of Class A bias and a Continuity output stage gets you 150-160W into 4 ohms mono with performance very, very similar to Class A, without the several amperes of standing current and massive heat usually necessary for Class A at that level...well, that's when it starts getting a lot more interesting. At least to us. As usual, we may be crazy.

All the best,
Jason
Looking forward to the chapter. Curious how it deals with less obvious transducers like my ATCs (not efficient but easy load). Nice differentiated from Vidar but looking just as handsome

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #39,844 of 151,558
Specs tell me no but probably it goes loud enough in my small room and running out of classA quickly perhaps. Worth a try?

My LS50 has a similar 85 db/1w@ 1m and I'd say not the best match, even with 2 I'd wonder.
I'm giving them 225 wpc now and they sound great.
I won't give them less after this power increase, the control and bass extension that extra power provides is awesome.
A pair of Vidars would be even better

Really 2 Aegirs and 2 Vidars would be all the amps anyone could ever need in solid state land.:)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #39,846 of 151,558
Only need to buy 1 at a time, or in pairs, still cheaper than Pass labs :p

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #39,847 of 151,558
If you have speakers that allow it ...

Biamp w/ 2x Mono Aeigers for mid/highs and 2x Mono Vidars for bass. :D

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #39,848 of 151,558
Yep, it's gonna happen someday, and then you get to call it quad amp! :wink:

I'm just realizing you can do this for 3k + shipping. :ksc75smile:

A Pass XA30.8 is $6800

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #39,849 of 151,558
Only if they start a trade in program, I have 45's and 2A3's amps for highs and mids A and a Vidar for the bottom. To me the Aegir only fits those who have inefficient bookshelf speakers or some studio monitors they want to play loud and have not heard a Vidar. Maybe the crowd that mixes audio and home theater...
May have to do a side by side at the Schittr 'cause I don't see the need to change from a Vidar.

Haven't heard a Vidar. But I've built a number of AB bias amps (from kits) and heard and owned more.

Never built a Class A bias amp - but I've heard and owned a number of those.

Outside of an A bias amp that might have been defective I can't think of any A/B bias amps that sounded better than any of the A's.

I came to that conclusion with loud speakers - panels, ribbons, etc.

I don't know why you say that people with inefficient speakers that want to play loud would be the only type of listener interested in having an Aegir. Or the crowd that mixes audio and HT?

Maybe you should do a side by a side, and see what you think.

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #39,850 of 151,558
Wonder what Aegir (better known as Eager :) ) can do with my ATC SCM19 v2

Drivers: HF ATC 25mm Neodymium soft dome, Mid/LF ATC 150mm SL
Frequency Response (-6dB): 54Hz-22kHz
Sensitivity: 85dB @ 1W @ 1metre
Max SPL: 108dB
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm
Crossover Frequency: 2.5kHz

Specs tell me no but probably it goes loud enough in my small room and running out of classA quickly perhaps. Worth a try?

Every 3dB increase in volume or decrease in efficiency requires double the power. So for example:
Zu Audio Omen DW is 97 dB/w/m efficient. This is exactly the kind of speaker Aegir is designed for.

From a power standpoint to achieve the same level of control we look at the following:
85 - 88 db = 20W
88- 91 db = 40w
91 - 94 db = 80W
97 - 97 db = 160W

Based on the efficiencies of the speakers alone the ATC is 16 times less efficient (or more power hungry) than the Omens. I wouldn't expect this setup to meet your needs although I'm not you.

I also have a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 speakers (85 efficiency), they don't sound good until using a 100W Tube Amp or 250W Solid State Amp. I am in a big room mind you. I have tried them with a 30W Naim Unitiqute and maybe they would work in a very small room, but 10W just isn't a lot when working with such inefficient speakers.

By all means if you have the disposable cash and if losing some money on the deal wouldn't hurt you then go for it, Numbers aren't anything, but that being said if a friend asked for my advice, I would say go Vidar for the ATC.

Good luck in what you choose. Maybe Jason comes on here and gives me the smack down because I've got it all wrong, but thats ok too.

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #39,852 of 151,558
I have experience with class A, and insensitive speakers. My old Pass Labs XA30.5 is significantly beefier in specs than even monoblock aegir. Anyway, you cannot max out the XA30.5 with KEF LS50, mainly because the LS50 cannot even actually play 100db without distorting terribly. It appears the atc19s cam do well over 100db spl. In that case, I have no doubt in my mind that I would and could have pushed the Pass Labs into the top 6db of its possible output if trying to drive the ATC. With these amps, you CAN go class B, but would you want to? At that point you're pushing 1% THD. These amps are class A biased. You should want to stay in class A bias. Think the same thing with the Aegir.

Moral of the story is don't run low watt class a amps with 85db sensitive speakers.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #39,853 of 151,558
Yep, it's gonna happen someday, and then you get to call it quad amp! :wink:

I'm just realizing you can do this for 3k + shipping. :ksc75smile:

A Pass XA30.8 is $6800
You can get a mint condition XA30.5 for around 3k. Usually with a year left of warranty. You can also get dealer demo XA30.8 for around $5k, with full warranty, and even xa60.5 monoblocks for a little bit more.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #39,855 of 151,558
I have experience with class A, and insensitive speakers. My old Pass Labs XA30.5 is significantly beefier in specs than even monoblock aegir. Anyway, you cannot max out the XA30.5 with KEF LS50, mainly because the LS50 cannot even actually play 100db without distorting terribly. It appears the atc19s cam do well over 100db spl. In that case, I have no doubt in my mind that I would and could have pushed the Pass Labs into the top 6db of its possible output if trying to drive the ATC. With these amps, you CAN go class B, but would you want to? At that point you're pushing 1% THD. These amps are class A biased. You should want to stay in class A bias. Think the same thing with the Aegir.

Moral of the story is don't run low watt class a amps with 85db sensitive speakers.

Well said.

I am looking at 105db sensitivity (1 watt-1 meter) for my next set of speakers so five watts per channel should be plenty for my application. I was doing this prior to the release of the Aegir, I like to start with speakers first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back