Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 4, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #36,167 of 151,052
And the Valhalla 2, apparently. Thanks to @Paladin79 for pointing that out. One line in the manual confirms it, but nowhere on the product page.

I must admit I have never looked closely at the Valhalla 2 manual, I looked in the books to find out what the little icons on the front of the Freya and Gumby meant but that was about it.

It does mention on the Schiit site the Valhalla 2 is an OTL amp right under the name but the Asgard 2 does a little better job of mentioning it is a Class A amp on the site. I have built several OTL amps and even got one to work with lower impedance headphones like the Valhalla 2.

Rarely do I ask directions or read assembly instructions, I am generally lucky if I can find an owners manual.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #36,168 of 151,052
OTL only means it does not use an output transformer. Most amps begin operating in Class A but I do not see any information on the web site nor in the owner's manual indicating Valhalla is Class A as the designed operating mode. Perhaps @Jason Stoddard can clarify?

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #36,169 of 151,052
All this talk about Class A, B, AB, D, H, LMNOP and so on. I think what we all fail to see or understand is that Schiit builds DACs, amplifiers, etc., for the People. Jason should build a Classless amplifier and to signify that we are equal, not defined by class, but that we are comrades. Power to the People and down with the classes!! Or at least develop a new W class for the Working People!! :thumbsup:

I am glad to see you are expanding your alphabet R. :smile_phones:

In Mikes post he mentioned Townes Van Zandt, here is one of my favorite songs by Townes.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #36,170 of 151,052
OK. I must confess something to you fine folks...

I have never, ever seen The Big Lebowski. I know -- shocking, right!!

(headed to my FireTV to see if it's available)

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #36,171 of 151,052
OTL only means it does not use an output transformer. Most amps begin operating in Class A but I do not see any information on the web site nor in the owner's manual indicating Valhalla is Class A as the designed operating mode. Perhaps @Jason Stoddard can clarify?
Oh funny, I found it using Google, but apparently it's only in an older version of the manual, at http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/valhalla2_manual_1_0.pdf

Screenshot (60).png

See Description

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #36,172 of 151,052
OK. I must confess something to you fine folks...

I have never, ever seen The Big Lebowski. I know -- shocking, right!!

(headed to my FireTV to see if it's available)
Shocking! And of course it was not my intent to spoil it for you, the dialog is incredible.

Jason mentioned both being class A a few days ago as I recall.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #36,173 of 151,052
2018, Chapter 8
How to (Maybe) Succeed in Engineering (Without Going Insane)
I've been a (software) engineer for decades, but it gave me pause the other day when my wife asked me, "What did engineers do before computers?". All I could do was mumble something about slide rules, which is what I was still using in high school.

Indeed, they were building bridges, airplanes, skyscrapers, cars – and audio equipment – before computers became available. It boggles my mind how much more difficult engineering used to be, before the tools we have available today. Everything was done on paper, and the slide rule itself was a remarkable tool. Did any of you own a circular slide rule? My brother and I had one.

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #36,174 of 151,052
I had a circular as well as a standard slide rule. Finding them again would be tough. I can also remember early digital watches and calculators.

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #36,175 of 151,052
I've been a (software) engineer for decades, but it gave me pause the other day when my wife asked me, "What did engineers do before computers?". All I could do was mumble something about slide rules, which is what I was still using in high school.

Indeed, they were building bridges, airplanes, skyscrapers, cars – and audio equipment – before computers became available. It boggles my mind how much more difficult engineering used to be, before the tools we have available today. Everything was done on paper, and the slide rule itself was a remarkable tool. Did any of you own a circular slide rule? My brother and I had one.

My pilot chronograph wristwatch has a circular slide rule. :smile_phones:

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #36,176 of 151,052
I collect chronographs but I stopped at a dozen or so, I believe I have one with that function but I never had a reason to use it much.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #36,177 of 151,052
I had a circular as well as a standard slide rule. Finding them again would be tough. I can also remember early digital watches and calculators.

I still have my original TI digital watch somewhere, but I don't know if I could locate compatible batteries for it.

I have my great-uncle's slide rule, which belongs in a museum -- it's truly a thing of beauty.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #36,178 of 151,052
I also want to thank you for the reference to sources for electronic note taking. It may be a trivial issue for some, but I have recently been working in an environment that discourages written/paper communication. I have been struggling to come up with a process for organizing electronic notes and your recommendation might be the key.

I don't know which one Jason actually uses but I use Evernote for all notes, work related and personal, very useful program. Notes are accessible everywhere, on all devices, and via a web interface.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #36,179 of 151,052
I still have my 1st digtial watch -- a Pulsar LED. I'll have to dig it up and see if I can find batteries. :D

And +1 for Evernote.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #36,180 of 151,052
I have most all of the tools to change batteries on a lot of different watches. For a while I was into Skagen, Tag Heuer, etc.

I once bought and sold a Rolex over lunch, it ended up in Russia. I did repairs for a pawn shop and got some deals the owner turned down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back