Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 3, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #36,136 of 150,836
giphy.gif

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #36,137 of 150,836
Yea I’m talking about the led and meters and displays and other bling Schiit. That’s the subjective part I mean. I want black boxes that sound great.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #36,138 of 150,836
I want black boxes that sound great.

Well that's 1 out of 2 for Schiit gear (with exception of the Jot and VH2). :wink:

#MoreBlackSchiit

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #36,139 of 150,836
Not in the one post I replied to, no. But you are splitting hairs. There have been a number of inquiries about a Class A amplifier with chocolate sauce and everything on them. (Okay, not chocolate sauce, but envisioned to fit that poster's exact desires.)
Fair enough. It's not really my fight. I just find it a shame when somebody's enthusiasm gets dampened. I don't usually butt into these kinds of discussions but for some reason I jumped into this one. Case in point I've lurked this thread since its inception but I doubt my username looks familiar to anybody.

Cheers.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #36,140 of 150,836
Case in point I've lurked this thread since its inception but I doubt my username looks familiar to anybody.

I've seen you about and hope to see more of you here. It gets a bit rough and tumble at times, but it's all in good fun or at least with good intentions.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #36,142 of 150,836
As fot Three Dog Night?? YEAH!!!! One would be truly surprised how many #1 and top 10 hits they had. :thumbsup:
Huuge fan of Three Dog Night, great stuff... Also just discovered a jazzy songstress in Chiara Civello, am I just slow? Can’t believe I’d never heard of her, but for just shy of a two-dollar bill at Goodwill, I’m in heaven! Amazing stuff, recommended.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #36,143 of 150,836
I'm not sure why such fascination with Class A operation to the point of wanting an LED indicating it. If it sounds good who cares? But I suppose this would appeal to the same sorts who like VU meters on amps. I just never saw the point. A VU meter is important when recording or mixing, but not for home audio playback...

From my standpoint, I've never heard pure Class A. I have read many sites that subjectively say class A is best and class AB is second best. I would like to be able to know what the operating mode is at a given time to see if I can hear a difference. I have scoured the internet trying to determine if my old JVC is class AB or just class B. It has a huge Vidaresqe heatsink running through the middle of the device. I have often felt that my best sound quality on this device comes late at night, when I can listen at 15-20 out of 100, or lower and just let that soft, sweet, & lush sound flow over me. Maybe it's because it's class AB and at that volume level it sits in class A, maybe it's because this thing has something like .2 percent distortion at just medium volume levels. I don't know, but it'd be nice if I could map and pinpoint class A/B to help solve some riddles. Its the same feeling that makes me want to try single strand thick gauge stereo cable for bass drivers compared to zip wire. I enjoy the feeling of cruising at 55 in my big assed SUV, because my mileage indicator says I get 27mpg at 55 compared to 20mpg at 70. Grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, but I'd find it enjoyable to track.

Aug 4, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #36,144 of 150,836
Re: LEDs vs sound (or the fact that that they do not contribute to the sound quality). To me, statements about such aesthetics would imply that Schiit was being frivolous with even including a power LED indicator. I mean, you know when it's on, right? 'Cause sound come out. Why not an LED to show Class A mode, just for fun? Who else does that, after all? I think it'd be great. IMO.

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #36,145 of 150,836
I like ORT's comments about VU meters. Some of us like some things, others don't. It would be a boring world if there was only one design on amplifiers and aesthetics are more important to some than to others. I had a Dynaco 416 with red LED meters but always preferred the looks of the blue VU meters in the 400, such is life. In one amp I used magic eye tubes for an old school look, some things are just for fun. It is hard to picture some amps without them though.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_958MA...bSzc2c-WslAJJ0a82P5u0Rrb2JXKGViQaArP3EALw_wcB

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_958MC...BYzeYtaYQEDt0Xa8QsAIURQaxrLRWQjYaAgsOEALw_wcB

Anybody heard from Uncle ORT, have not seen him in a while. @OldRoadToad are you still out there...

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #36,148 of 150,836
but the jury is still out on Puerto Rico. Cheers!!! **

** It's a joke w/ tongue firmly planted in cheek. Really. :D
Hey! Watch it! :wink:

Joking aside, they're still trying to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. Those Americans need all the money and beer (international or no) you can send.

Now, was too young to drink beer when I was there but what I saw was very watery and disgusting. What is the recommended beer for a very hot and humid environment? The rum seems more climate appropriate.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #36,150 of 150,836
https://www.passlabs.com/press/leaving-class

Here is a decent older article about Class A and Class AB.

The biggest thing of note IMHO is how long any given amp might be in class A mode and the bias currents involved. When Jason mentioned rail currents ten times those of the Vidar on his Continuity (trademarked) amp, my thought was an amp that stayed in the Class A mode longer. I also recall someone saying that some manufacturers call amps Class A when they are really AB and a more honest way to portray that is by saying Class A up to this wattage and AB beyond. The information shown does just that, and if you notice, when you get bias current up to 3.6 amps per channel (that is a LOT of current) the amp stays in class A up to a much higher level. Even at 2008 prices that was one expensive amp. Later I found them listed at $34,000 a pair. Some of you might recall Jason saying that building a high power class A amp was really expensive. This is my reason for going with small class A mono blocks matched to some very efficient speakers. I could do the same thing using said speakers with any amp that stayed in class A mode for the first ten watts and the amp would be suitable for use with many other speakers.

The amp shown does have a way to tell mode of operation, provided you understand some of the theory.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back