Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 23, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #35,251 of 150,619
If you're up for some DIY, there's also the Audio Nirvana line of high efficiency drivers from common sense audio:

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

They're relatively affordable, and seem to be reviewed well on the DIY sites. Single driver full range speakers with no crossover make for good efficiency. I almost went this route to pair with my upcoming ACA build, but decided against explaining the new boxes in the living room to my spouse at the same time as explaining why I attempted carpentry (which usually fails in a humorous way).

I ended up grabbing a pair of Klipsch R-15M's during the recent Klipsch summer sale where many models were half off. Unfortunately, I think the sale might be over, or ending soon. They're not as efficient as the audio nirvana speakers, but for the modest 2.0 system I'm planning [ TBD(probably Rpi/digi-one > mimby) > saga > ACA > R-15M] they should be quite sufficient.

Thanks for that, I actually have carpentry/cabinetry/finishing skills. :thinking:

Edit: These drivers are not cheap. 15" :sunglasses:

Beautiful picture, but I have to wonder where the camera was?

LOL

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #35,252 of 150,619
Thanks for that, I actually have carpentry/cabinetry/finishing skills. :thinking:

Edit: These drivers are not cheap.

They're not cheap, but you only need one per channel :) There are some "reasonable" options in the 8-10" range for $200-$300.

When I said relatively affordable, I was thinking of the skilled carpenters who can turn them into $1000+ speakers, while I was focusing on the drivers being 20-30% of that price, and ignoring what my ugly and wasteful "carpentry" would add to the total cost.

They do seem to perform well on sensitivity (94-98+dB in a modest cabinet), so some money can be saved on the amp side of the system, if you're building from the ground-up like me.

And then I chickened out and bought a pair of on-sale klipsch monitors for half the price of the drivers alone. ("See honey, I'm saving money! and space!)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #35,253 of 150,619
I'm very intrigued by these drivers/cabinet designs, simple is good. And I can't hear up to 20k hz anymore now for sure.

This would be saving money compared to 4k a pair, + keeps me at home. Why would she complain?:wink:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #35,254 of 150,619
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #35,255 of 150,619
Another Jazz Recommendation...

Album: Transfomation
Artists: Alex Skolnic Trio

Someone on the forum suggested Alex Skolnic Trio and I just can't stop listening. A fantastic trio covering many rock cuts (fabulously, I might add) while throwing in a few original pieces. It's a well executed, well recorded, toe tapping excursion, bending music you likely know in new and ingenious ways. Definitely an upbeat listen that will leave you wanting more!!

Available on Tidal and Spotify.

That was me, glad you are liking them as much as I do!

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #35,256 of 150,619
Thanks. That recommendation is definitely appreciated!

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #35,259 of 150,619
On the lead SR71 of course!

Or was it the top secret Area 51 UFO out for a quick game of tag with the SR-71??

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #35,260 of 150,619
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #35,261 of 150,619
Bad news on building a First Watt F6 clone. This seems to be a recurring theme when I look at DIY class A amps with 20/25 wpc. :triportsad:

"The original amplifier utilized extremely rare power Jfet from SemiSouth, which will never be made again, and are all gone. Be warned, any Ebay sources claiming to have the SemiSouth devices are fakes. If you happen to already have the power Jfet, they can be used with this PCB"

You can still buy a F6 from First Watt for $3500

Edit: Without the SemiSouth Jfets none of these First Watt designs are happening.
Someone who knows better, is 25 watt class A dead now that these parts are unobtainable?
Could a new design be possible with existing parts?

And: It seems the much older Pass diy A40 is still doable, but not simply with substitute parts.
Values need to be tweaked, I'm unsure if I have tools for such things.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #35,262 of 150,619
Question, if you listen to the jot in balanced instead of SE, wouldn't you be better served by testing the Jot with it's best sound options? I get the apples to apples idea, but I think you should be comparing devices in the manner with which you plan to use them. The jot has way more power in balanced then SE. My Magni 3 outpowers the Jot via SE.

Perhaps, but I can only juggle so many variables at a time and maintain simplicity, repeatability and focus. JOT balanced is still going to give me a forward, "in my face" perspective (as does my Utopia) which I don't care for that much, and the extra voltage delivery won't change that. The JOT will have better bass characteristics either way. I can tone down the highs a bit with my LYR3 by using a softer sounding tube in the highs instead of the stock one. Other than Loki (and now I've got extra SE cabling involved on either end of Loki between my balanced Yggy and balanced JOT), there's no way to do that with JOT and I don't think they wouldn't really be the same in measured frequency response anyway. And on and on.That's why regardless of what HP amps or whether I'm comparing SE or balanced outputs, I always match the the two units and the headphone in use with a sound level meter and test tone. While certainly not lab grade scientific it's worked for me for decades with HP's or speakers.

Matching levels with different HP's for comparing is very difficult without a test head dummy. too many physical differences in construction when it come to HP's. I just go by what I like and don't like and try to estimate listening levels. As I remember comparing speakers was easier because I got a better averaged response in-room at the listening position, and that was the best I could do.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #35,263 of 150,619
I believe this is the speaker setup Nelson Pass made that @Paladin79 talked about yesterday. Open baffle, very simple but Large.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt10/j2.html
And those drivers are money.

7_small.jpg

To facilitate experiments with various higher-efficiency widebanders, Nelson has built himself a drop-in open baffle that allows easy swaps (shown above with Feastrex on top, Eminence Beta 15" on bottom, F5 on the woofer, one of the new amps on the widebanders).
This type of work—investigating currently available widebanders, noting their respective strengths and weaknesses in auditions and with stringent measurements, designing compensation networks accordingly and suitable amplifiers with superior noise performance and minimal-output sonics—has been the backdrop against which FirstWatt rose.
An article on a recommended OB platform is planned. "So far I have evaluated several baffle designs, a number of woofers and nearly 30 drivers. I'm almost ready to start writing. Lest anyone get the impression that Feastrex is king over Lowthers, I would add that in the four categories 8"/5" and Lowther/Feastrex, each has a lot to offer and it's still very much a horse race. After several months of playing with these, there are still anecdotal experiences pointing to the superiority of each in some area. The only generalization I would offer is that they are all great drivers and they all respond well to careful tweaking toward our individual tastes."

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #35,264 of 150,619
Awesome! I wonder if that is Stoki up on the wall with his hair blazing? If so highly appropriate for what those speakers look like they will do do a listeners hair.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #35,265 of 150,619
That is not the article I saw showing his current home speakers but I am not having any luck finding it again so I am afraid I cannot help much. The speakers I saw were some JBL's from the sixties and perhaps Tannoy but I am going from memory and I just skimmed most of the article on my phone.
gungnir.jpg
This replay had to do with Finisher's post.

I thought I had a lost Gungnir but it arrived today right in the middle of setting up a new iphone (time to replace the old one.)

I am in the process of making some new balanced cables that will go between Dac and Freya.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back