Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #34,921 of 149,303
At one time I owned the AR3a and at a later date the LST's, I'm certain I read a lot of his thoughts on acoustics but that was a looong time ago for me.
I never did own any of his Alison Acoustic models.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #34,922 of 149,303
Another Jazz Recommendation...

Album: You're Driving Me Crazy
Artists: Van Morrison, Joey DeFrancesco

Yep, that's right -- Van Morrison. A well recorded studio performance with the notable Van Morrison adding his talents to this Jazz, Blues, and R&B infused album. A VERY enjoyable recording and a must-listen if you are a Van Morrison fan. What are you waiting for?

Available on Tidal and Spotify.

Loving it on my Schiit stack at work, I'll probably have to listen to it in the garage tonight as well.

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #34,923 of 149,303
Loving it on my Schiit stack at work, I'll probably have to listen to it in the garage tonight as well.

I listened to it surrounded by young employees, it was probably not their choice but I told them I needed certain music available if I was to help them this morn. It made perfect sense to me but not everyone gets the logic.

As far as fairly recent music that they might not find offensive, the Lumineers and early Mumford and Sons does well, also The Civil Wars. It is never easy to find a musical happy medium between age groups but I can listen to these groups, if I have to, I guess.

Equipment wise I was using an Imac Pro into a Coaster amp into some powered speakers. Just another way to let the Coaster burn in for a while.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #34,924 of 149,303
Ah, don't go down that rabbit hole. Stop now. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." :gs1000smile:

I went down that rabbit hole willingly and now have a collection of 6C8G, 6F8G, 6SN7 and 7N7s. So many I have better live for a long time! I have most of my 6F8Gs on display in an in wall bookcase. I laugh when almost everyone looks at them for the first time and says "what are those?"

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #34,925 of 149,303
I went down that rabbit hole willingly and now have a collection of 6C8G, 6F8G, 6SN7 and 7N7s. So many I have better live for a long time! I have most of my 6F8Gs on display in an in wall bookcase. I laugh when almost everyone looks at them for the first time and says "what are those?"

There are worse investments, and unless someone finds a treasure trove of old tubes their value should only increase.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #34,926 of 149,303
Strange. I use the Tidal Desktop app on a computer and then feed that to my DAC. Definitely there and on Spotify.

Actually, when I install Desktop, I too can find it easily. However on Roon it is, let's say, challenging! I'm in the midst of an exchange with one of the Roon product managers pointing out whay I find it hard to use TIDAL there. In this case, I did eventually work out the nuances to get the whos list of results for the search, but the result includes subsets of the serach term. The albun in question was #37on the list and about 4 or 5 in the exact matches. I would expect to see exact matches for the search term first!

Cheers

Jul 12, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #34,927 of 149,303

Thanks for the thoughts. And where does one buy (or find) such items?

Cheers

Jul 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #34,928 of 149,303
Jul 12, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #34,929 of 149,303
There are worse investments, and unless someone finds a treasure trove of old tubes their value should only increase.

INVESTMENTS. Yeah, that's it!! When the wife asks "What the hell is in that box, another tube?", I'll just answer, "Nope. It's an just another INVESTMENT". :thumbsup:

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #34,930 of 149,303
INVESTMENTS. Yeah, that's it!! When the wife asks "What the hell is in that box, another tube?", I'll just answer, "Nope. It's an just another INVESTMENT". :thumbsup:

LOL my wife never asks but luckily my son understands all of my electronics. If anything happened to me he would not let someone come in and buy my tubes for $20 total or some such. Quality 5998's can be $100 each or more depending on brand and type. He would also have to show her how to operate the various sound systems I have set up in my family room and what each of nine remote controls do. She can adjust lighting, heat and cooling and check for intruders with her phone or voice but that is about the limit.

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #34,931 of 149,303
Thanks for the thoughts. And where does one buy (or find) such items?

Cheers

Using HiFi Shark (https://www.hifishark.com/) I have found many tube dealers on ebay. I have had great luck with all that I have bought from. The problem is I think the popularity of the Freya has caused the price of NOS 6SN7 family tubes to rise.

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #34,933 of 149,303
More thought on this decoupling business.

Many TT manufacturers go to some effort to try decouple their TT's to minimize mechanical and airborne vibration from getting to the stylus so it makes sense to decouple the speakers, especially the typically, lighter weight, speakers most folks buy. (Might not include speakers like Wilson Whams or Focals TOTL which would have a lot mass and may have minimum load bearing floor parameters and there will be nothing you can do to decouple them :laughing:).

I also wonder if speaker manufacturers design a "sweet" spot range of heights for listening based on the distance of the driver(s) array from the floor necessitating listening seating with adjustable height or a listening room with a sloped floor, when placing what looks like substantial added height underneath with these speaker isolation devises?:wink:
talking TT. Will Sol see the light of day before summer? Ahhh wait it is already summer....summer still not really arrived in Portugal...times are a changing (or as Trump never would say climate is a changing :))

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #34,934 of 149,303
Tektons? The Lore seems like a pretty default option for low power systems.

Those are one of my first choices but first I have to see what some friends come up with on Klipsch. The La Scala II was one possibility and if the price is anywhere near as good as other deals I have received from them. I can use them for a while, sell them and make enough to buy the Tektons, a pre-amp, and probably another turntable. I got to talking to them about Klipschorns I heard years ago and I wanted to at least try some that are being remade. I do not plan on adding on a room for them (some need a lot of space) but if not for me, they could work for my son. Space wise the Tektons would be better once I exhaust this possibility. I do have a Freya on the way so some of the pieces are falling into place.

I have a good friend who used to own some folded horn Klipsch and I want to have him hear some decent new versions one more time before he passes on. He had tube type Dynaco and I learned a lot from him.

A slight correction, Klipsch has brought back some speakers they discontinued but from what I can find out, some have continually been in production for 65-70 years and still built in Hope Arkansas. They have more people in the Indianapolis office, I believe this is the home office and newer designs are done there. The larger horn speakers are still made from the designs of Paul Klipsch. I know of some running off of 3.5 watts, they are very efficient. Some are $4,000-$7,000 depending on speaker type and finish, that is the single speaker price.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #34,935 of 149,303
Schiit fellows, Vidar seems out of stock quite a while now, especially in the NL. Because of this i was checking alternatives, difficult to find something. The only thing i found, is cheaper, on stock and even better specs. Esthetics wise probably less interesting for the most in my opinion Vidar is by long more beautiful. The amp i found is the PAS 2002PCA. Really interesting and being sold already for quite a while. Looks like Vidar has ‘ugly’ competition

-just see that ugly blue is also suffering stock issues: 2-3weeks stock coming in-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back