Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #34,471 of 155,114
I was talking about building the coaster amp, and she said NO more audio gear, I said it's just a coaster lol, it costs almost nothing.
She said it was a trick to get something else, I don't know how she gets these ideas?:smirk:

First mistake: You talked to her about it. :unamused:

Next Move: Check her purse and/or shoe situation as a potential come-back. :thumbsup:

(Make sure you vacuum the coach and have a pillow and fresh sheets at the ready -- just in case. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #34,472 of 155,114
I was kidding about that, if he sent me one of those I would be likely to send him kudzu plants as a thank you.

I was once touring a very old warehouse in the deep south looking for electronic equipment. The gentleman with me opened one door and kudzu had come in a window and filled the room. It was like something out of a sci-fi movie. You can practically stand there and watch it grow.

Yet another thing I don't miss about living in MS, Kudzu was EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #34,473 of 155,114
None here in Texas, but when I lived in N.C., it was up every power pole and draped on every power line. It was nuts!!

In Texas we have Madame Galens Trumpet Vine. a pain in the tush, but at least it looks nice in the summer.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #34,474 of 155,114
I hit one when I lived in Mississippi in the mid 90's, it sounded like a bomb went off under my car, then a couple miles later I started to smell it cooking on the exhaust! It took me about 30 minutes to get to a car wash so I could try and spray it all off...
You should get the book by Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers called Manifold Destiny or how to cook road kill on your exhaust manifold.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #34,476 of 155,114
None here in Texas, but when I lived in N.C., it was up every power pole and draped on every power line. It was nuts!!

In Texas we have Madame Galens Trumpet Vine. a pain in the tush, but at least it looks nice in the summer.

I remember seeing that when I lived in Texas, but it didn't seem to be that bad in the Dallas area, probably because I didn't live far enough away from the city...

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #34,477 of 155,114
I was talking about building the coaster amp, and she said NO more audio gear, I said it's just a coaster lol, it costs almost nothing.
She said it was a trick to get something else, I don't know how she gets these ideas?:smirk:

Lol unless she happens to read this thread, we need to do some serious plotting. I will PM you one solution right after I test another Coaster amp I just built.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #34,478 of 155,114
You should get the book by Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers called Manifold Destiny or how to cook road kill on your exhaust manifold.
Manifold Destiny Predates Click and Clack and is actually written by Chris Maynard. A Friend of mine had an original edition, which used extensively in high school and college. I have the new edition which has more recipes but they are more complex.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #34,479 of 155,114
And here I thought all college kids survived only on Ramen Noodles and Mac and Cheese. :D

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #34,480 of 155,114
Lol unless she happens to read this thread, we need to do some serious plotting. I will PM you one solution right after I test another Coaster amp I just built.

These thing pass with time I just been on a audio binge for the last year, building 2 separate systems.:L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #34,481 of 155,114
I remember seeing that when I lived in Texas, but it didn't seem to be that bad in the Dallas area, probably because I didn't live far enough away from the city...
A long, long time ago, I supervised an EMC/TEMPEST laboratory for an aerospace contractor in Orlando, FL, which was located in a 3000 acre "remote area" behind the plant. Some of my guys were very adventurous, and often caught and cooked various wild critters, like rattlesnake, and armadillo. They cleaned it, parboiled it, and barbequed it, and on the day they served it, we had a visiting customer from the New York City area. He thought it was great, and it did taste a lot like good pulled pork. I never asked how they managed to catch and clean it.

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #34,482 of 155,114
Hahaha, I used to listen to Car Talk every Saturday morning!

I used to listen to them as well on Saturday mornings! Both were highly educated and very funny, both had gone to MIT as I recall. I was graduated from another institute of technology but not one that far east.
I can still recall a lot of their puzzlers like two guys watched multiple cars drive up to gas pumps and they could only see the front of each cars. They were betting on which side of the car the exhaust pipes were on and one guy was right 90% of the time. How did he know?
They could only see the exhaust pipes after the cars pulled away from the pumps.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #34,483 of 155,114
First mistake: You talked to her about it. :unamused:

This, I should know better by now:wink:

I gotta mow the yard, HD 280s and Tidal, AWOL Nation :metal:

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #34,484 of 155,114
Manifold Destiny Predates Click and Clack and is actually written by Chris Maynard. A Friend of mine had an original edition, which used extensively in high school and college. I have the new edition which has more recipes but they are more complex.
Thanks, I did not know that, but I have warmed food in the engine compartment!

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #34,485 of 155,114
I used to listen to them as well on Saturday mornings! Both were highly educated and very funny, both had gone to MIT as I recall. I was graduated from another institute of technology but not one that far east.
I can still recall a lot of their puzzlers like two guys watched multiple cars drive up to gas pumps and they could only see the front of each cars. They were betting on which side of the car the exhaust pipes were on and one guy was right 90% of the time. How did he know?
They could only see the exhaust pipes after the cars pulled away from the pumps.

Not being a car guy, assumption is that it depended on which way they pulled up to the pump (driver side or passenger side).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back