Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #34,456 of 155,122
I was kidding about that, if he sent me one of those I would be likely to send him kudzu plants as a thank you.

I was once touring a very old warehouse in the deep south looking for electronic equipment. The gentleman with me opened one door and kudzu had come in a window and filled the room. It was like something out of a sci-fi movie. You can practically stand there and watch it grow.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #34,457 of 155,122
Finisher, some last bits of advice:

Many of the parts used in the Coaster amp are not expensive so buy extras to replace anything you drop or lose in the build process. This applies mainly to semiconductors, chip caps and resistors.

I keep a blank board close by for comparison. On it I have marked diode polarities and I use iit to easily trace the copper etchings when I check for continuity.

I was going to get many extras of the smalls. and tubes as well to match. I need to bookmark Jason's post about the build for future reference.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #34,458 of 155,122
Good plan, I already printed it myself. If I get my tube test sockets installed today I will post a photo.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #34,459 of 155,122
I am thinking of offering cash to Ripper to open any future Magic 8-balls for me but he would most likely start to hate me anyway. I do want to stay in his good graces just in case he does win a large amount of money in Publishers Clearing House, or the lottery, or even at the track!

No problem. I can use my hard head to crack open as many Magic 8-Balls as you need. :smirk:

I'm waiting for PCH to arrive. I've set my Ring doorbell camera to alert me on all front door area motion, so no chance I'll miss them. That big check and $5K a week for life can definitely move a few items out of the proverbial bucket-list. :thumbsup:

As for playing the horses. Well, I have an aversion to the use of disposable income on anything but my audio addiction. :wink:

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #34,460 of 155,122
I generally listen to books or music as I build so I just downloaded a book entitled Winning Mars by Jason Stoddard. That author sounds awfully familiar.:)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #34,461 of 155,122
giphy.gif

LOL!

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #34,462 of 155,122
You do not want an armadillo in Indiana! They have invaded southern Missouri and are indeed a menace. When cycling the trails and roads you have to watch out for them. They will waddle right out on the trail and over the bars you go if you happen to hit one. :))

stled
So true. Ask pro cyclist Dan Schmatz. He hit one during the Tour of Missouri. Broken collar bone.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #34,463 of 155,122
Ripper2860, who already has Lyr 3, said:
I see a Saga and Vidar in my future … :wink:

Seriously (one never knows on this thread) IMHO you already have better sound quality than Saga with the Lyr 3.
Of course Saga has a better remote.

Just my 2 cents. NH

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #34,465 of 155,122

Seriously (one never knows on this thread) IMHO you already have better sound quality than Saga with the Lyr 3.

Just my 2 cents. NH

The remote part Is kinda important from the couch with a glass of wine.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #34,466 of 155,122

Just my 2 cents. NH

The Lyr 3 is pretty much my end-game HP amp for the headphone listening rig. My headphone rig is pretty much set. The Saga (a preamp -- not a HP amp) and Vidar would be for my 2-channel rig. My 2-channel rig could definitely benefit from an upgrade -- especially if I were to replace the ELAC speakers w/ Magnaplanar speakers. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #34,467 of 155,122
I'd like some used .7 maggys to rotate into the 2 channel among many other speakers, My JBL SVA 2100s, LS50s, Elac UniFis, Maggy's, Tannoy XT 8F's, pretty sure she's not too happy about this:innocent:

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #34,468 of 155,122
Maggie .7's are likely all that will pass the WAF test. Won't stop me from trying to get 1.7's. :wink:

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #34,469 of 155,122
I was talking about building the coaster amp, and she said NO more audio gear, I said it's just a coaster lol, it costs almost nothing.
She said it was a trick to get something else, I don't know how she gets these ideas?:smirk:

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #34,470 of 155,122
You do not want an armadillo in Indiana! They have invaded southern Missouri and are indeed a menace. When cycling the trails and roads you have to watch out for them. They will waddle right out on the trail and over the bars you go if you happen to hit one. :))

stled

I hit one when I lived in Mississippi in the mid 90's, it sounded like a bomb went off under my car, then a couple miles later I started to smell it cooking on the exhaust! It took me about 30 minutes to get to a car wash so I could try and spray it all off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back