Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #32,461 of 151,658
Finally caught up with this thread. Many pages back while we were still talking amps, there was mention of monoblocks.

Does anyone remember those cute (and awesome) little cube monoblock amps Rotel released in the mid 90s? I would definitely look to buy a nice handful of little Schiit monoblocks! I've always preferred monoblocks, even for no great reason. Maybe that's why those old Rotel amp were so great - so rare to be affordable.

My 2c. @Jason Stoddard , would love some Schiit cubes to push my Thiels (just the small 1.5s) !

May 6, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #32,462 of 151,658
I'm back and despite the promise of drunken debauchery, I achieved neither. I did however have a great time at our favorite tequila bar with the wife and old friends. Fun without making a fool of ones self is always good!!

Jax escapes me, but I think it was before my arrival to the Lonestar State (1982). I definitely recall Pearl brewery in downtown San Antonio before it bought Pabst and transitioned to Miller. Shiner is still around and kickin' it. Shiner Blonde and their seasonal run of beers are favorites of mine.
I don't know Jack, but Jax was a Schiity beer in New Orleans with brewery right on the Mississippi near the Quarter. Its saving grace was that it was way better than Dixie!

May 6, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #32,463 of 151,658
Funny you should mention it. I was listening to them and that song via YouTube. I had to use VPN and connect via a Malaysian server, though. Never heard them before. I suspect it's because they are likely banned by all Texas ISP's.

"Jesus loves me, but he can't stand you." has me falling out of my chair !!! :D

That is a great song, along with Old Blevins, and The Dogs, They really miss you.

THE DOGS THEY REALLY MISS YOU
As sung by the Austin Lounge Lizards

I know the day you left, you said, "Let's never talk again,"
But I'm not calling for myself; I'm calling you for them.
Our little ones who wait at home are broken and upset,
And though they don't remember much, they can't seem to forget.

The dogs they really miss you; they're diff'rent since you said goodbye.
They brood; they pout; they feel put out. If they could speak, they'd tell you "hi."
They're too sad to play around; they hardly touch their meals
The dogs they really miss you and I know just how they feel.

Their tails don't wag; their hearts won't heal; they blame themselves that you're astray.
They're sorry that you felt tied down, and never learned to stay.
Molly's nose is warm and dry since she sat and watched you pack.
She figures that you're just lost and can't find your way back.

These are lyrics that someone transcribed, there are a couple errors but you get the gist of the song.

Here is the start of Old Blevins:

(Hank Card/Conrad Deisler)
We had a little quarrel, she and I
She told me just to curl up and die
I crept out to drown my sorrows
At a joint called no tomorrows
Where the old man came and looked me in the eye
Old Blevins
I could tell he had some wisdom to impart
Some story that was etched and burned and stamped
Upon his heart
Then his eyes began to glisten
'Cause he could see that I would listen
We sat there at that bar 'til nearly three
And this is what Old Blevins said to me
He said "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
In Tijuana blah blah blah back in 1963
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
You should have been there blah blah blah
Is what Old Blevins said to me
I sat there and I listened to his words
As they flapped around my head like little birds
Had he gone plumb 'round the bend
Or could I just not comprehend
His lips were writing lines I could not read
When suddenly, it all came clear to me

The band members met in college and all are fairly well educated

May 6, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #32,464 of 151,658
I don't know Jack, but Jax was a Schiity beer in New Orleans with brewery right on the Mississippi near the Quarter. Its saving grace was that it was way better than Dixie!
Dixie Blackened Voodoo beer isn't bad!

May 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #32,466 of 151,658
I think the craft and micro-brewery phenomenon has pushed the big-boys to improve their beer. And if they cannot or will not, they just buy craft beer brewers and add them to their portfolio of companies.

May 6, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #32,467 of 151,658
My favorite local AZ beer is Kiltlifter by the Four Peaks Brewery. They were just acquired by Inbev, so it might start appearing nation wide. Look for it.

May 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #32,469 of 151,658
I like those along with Leinenkugel and Yuengling.

May 6, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #32,471 of 151,658
I generally don't drink anything other than Porters and Stouts, however I've yet to try a Leinie I didn't like...

https://www.belgianstyleales.com/pr...voqRvA6MkixGM31BuJHfWlPGfWjcILRUaArlYEALw_wcB

This is my favorite foreign ale, voted best beer in the world in the late nineties.

I am not sure it is still around but a highly collectible beer at one time was Olde Frothingslosh, the pale, stale, ale with the foam on the bottom.

https://www.google.com/search?q=old...AhUBxVkKHSgYBR8Q9QEILzAC#imgrc=7FgVZd446C3OKM:

it was collectible, but I do not recall if it was drinkable.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #32,473 of 151,658
The brewery you can walk to across the Schiit parking lot: www.pocockbrewing.com

The brewery you can walk to from the Schiitr: https://www.facebook.com/brewerydraconum/

Amazing hyperlocal beers: www.ojaivalleybrewing.com

There are literally too many to list around here. Five Threads, Enegren, MacLeod, Lincoln, VCBC, Poseidon, Surf, BrewLab, Captain Fatty's, and at least a dozen more. Almost everyone has something great, depends on what you're looking for.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 6, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #32,475 of 151,658
I used to live in Indy, still sad Yuengling wasn't available in the state. I never made it to Ohio to buy some.

It is available in Indy area now. At least the lager and black and tan for sure. Years ago when Coors was not east of the Mississippi, two of us went to Kansas City Kansas and back in one day. Roughly 1,000 miles round trip. Nearly threw out the spare tire in a Porsche to make more room because it sold for good money back here at the time. Now it is everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back