Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #31,786 of 151,179
Yes, same as Vidar.

To clarify: Vidar is fine in mono into 4 ohms. It is "stable". However, if you play it loud, it may turn off thermally.

The hypothetical Class A amp would not turn off thermally, its rail voltages would be like 1/3 of Vidar's.

Thanks, I have a pair of Vidar on them now and while I haven't had them thermally shut down, I have had the Vidar on my centre channel go into over-current protection while watching a movie at higher than reference levels...

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #31,787 of 151,179
With the new found embracing of H/S by schiit has the road opened to an asgard 3 operating in class A?

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #31,788 of 151,179
I've heard what a real Class A amp does for vintage Klipsch speakers in the 96-103dB sensitivity range. Detail galore but without the harshness of a lot of solid state on horns. With speakers that efficient you can play at rock concert volume with 10-15 watts. 2-3 watts (at peak) are usually plenty. Unfortunately these amps are either expensive, rare, or badly used and need repairs. I would definitely be interested in a 20 watt Schiit amp in a Vidar sized chassis if it was under $1k.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #31,789 of 151,179
I have heard some of the Klipsch folded horns and they were amazing. I know they were powered by a Dynaco tube amp and 15 watts was a lot for them. They are the first thing I think of in terms of efficient speakers.

The company used to be in Hope Arkansas I believe but now the headquarters is in Indianapolis just north of me, I have worked with some of their people.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #31,790 of 151,179
Currently running my 87db-ish speakers with 76lbs, 30 watt amp from Pass. Medium sized listening room, listening to a lot of orchestral works or operas, don’t really feel the need for more watts. Have been keeping an eye on FW products, but this hypothetical Continuity amp would be very, very tempting.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #31,792 of 151,179
With the new found embracing of H/S by schiit has the road opened to an asgard 3 operating in class A?

Nope, it would cost wayyyyy too much, I'm afraid. If there's an Asgard 3, it will be Continuity. Currently no plans for it, though.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 25, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #31,793 of 151,179
This amplifier discussion is interesting.

To add a few thoughts of my own:

Fortunately, there is a fairly wide selection of relatively high sensitivity speakers available today at affordable price points.

If one is listening to music with a near-field/ desktop setup, or in a smaller room, you really don't need very much power to get a satisfying SPL, even with modest-sized speakers.

*True* class-A operation, with either solid-state or tube amplification requires very hefty parts and lots of heat to dissipate --no way around it.

A 20-watt pure class-A amplifier is a BIG thing. And, 25-50 watts in class-A: ridiculously expensive and bulky if you want to do it properly.

A well-designed amplifier that stays in class-A for maybe the first couple watts, and then transitions into class-A-B up to, say, a 5-6 watt output, this should be all you need to drive essentially any electrodynamic headphone on the market today to levels beyond what is safe for your hearing --and IMO actually quite sufficient for most desktop/near-field listening too.

To build a 20-watt amplifier which sounds about as good as a very carefully designed 5-watt amplifier, there is a huge jump in parts cost.

BTW: for a couple years my main personal home rig was a 1-watt SET tube headphone/desktop amp driving a pair of large Tekton Design 'Lore' floor-standing loudspeakers (10" main driver). The Lores are approx 95dB -Watt/meter sensitive, and would "rock out" quite satisfyingly, with big solid bass and good dynamics. Granted, not suitable for pressurizing a discotheque or dance hall, but hey...

Efficient/sensitive loudspeakers really are a game changer as far as required amplifier power.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #31,794 of 151,179
Jason,

Does this new 20W amp still sound good biased outside of Class A? If so, have you thought about having a user switchable bias setting it make it more versatile?

Also, I think you're better off focusing on promoting your own technology in the amp then focusing on the over used buzzword that Class A has become.

User switchable bias, nope. De-bias, yep. A bias on/off switch is much easier than bias modulation.

However, I think your point on focusing on our own tech rather than the Class A morass probably makes sense. We'd still specify how much Class A the amp runs

Last edited:

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #31,795 of 151,179
I'm late to the party, and I'm going to back-track to the earlier complaints about the thread going "off topic." First of all, your complaint posts are also off topic, and far less interesting than gifs of cats doing crazy Schiit. Secondly, posting complaints is simply your way of Schiiting in the thread, we'll call a Whambulance next time. Third, and far more importantly:

The camaraderie that has been built on this thread allowed for some people here to pitch-in and buy a new bicycle for the Baron Dr. Pietro Cozzi Tinin, who was in need of new transportation after his last bike was stolen. The fact that this random thread on the internet of music/audio gear nuts came together in support of someone we may never meet is far more important in many ways than the gear we play our music with. So the next time you're concerned about cat gifs or the lack of news from Jason, think about what is REALLY important in this world.

And, you got a surprise update too.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #31,796 of 151,179
The camaraderie that has been built on this thread allowed for some people here to pitch-in and buy a new bicycle for the Baron Dr. Pietro Cozzi Tinin, who was in need of new transportation after his last bike was stolen. The fact that this random thread on the internet of music/audio gear nuts came together in support of someone we may never meet is far more important in many ways than the gear we play our music with. So the next time you're concerned about cat gifs or the lack of news from Jason, think about what is REALLY important in this world.

X10000

Relax.

Have fun.

Keep an open mind.

You'll live longer.*

*I am not a doctor, do not take my health advice on anything.

Last edited:

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #31,798 of 151,179
Well said US Blues and I do believe that camaraderie is what caused 46 or more people to be here to discuss amplifiers. I have not seen that on any other thread or post in here, if you go to most of them you find one or two people max. Post something and all you hear are crickets in the background.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #31,800 of 151,179
Jason- great update. What news of the Loki Maxi (w/balance control)? :smiley_cat:

Double points if you have black ones at launch to match the rest of my schiit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back