Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #30,676 of 149,271
Some funny Schiit
10087678.png

DAVE's not home, man ...

(Obligatory Cheech and Chong reference)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #30,677 of 149,271
It just seems contradictory and kind of says Eitr and Gen 5 USB doesn't matter...

They're saying it doesn't matter if having everything in one box matters to you....

Not Schiit related, but ...

Massdrop has the venerable HD6XX available again. If anyone would like a re-badged / midnight blue Senn HD650 for $199.99 (USD), now's the time to do it!!!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

but that lead time though..sorry they're a decent deal but these six month wait time are getting old. I'll just find a nice used pair of 650s if I want some.

Some funny Schiit

If that guys has a Dave Ill eat my Schiit......

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #30,678 of 149,271
but that lead time though..sorry they're a decent deal but these six month wait time are getting old. I'll just find a nice used pair of 650s if I want some.

Yeah -- that is crazy, but I'm in no hurry. It is new with a warranty and worth the wait for me -- so order it, I did!!! :D

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #30,679 of 149,271
I have nothing substantive to add to this discussion besides a thought after many years in product-oriented businesses. That thought is change is inevitable, and companies who wish to thrive must drive change in the direction they need it to go, not in the direction a fan base (or an installed base) wishes it would go. Consumers adapt.

Something something Apple... headphone jack...

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #30,681 of 149,271
Wow. Two of the best minds in audio and it's hard to take them seriously? It's not like their resume and the thinking behind their products is as disclosed as any in the damn business besides DIYers ... oh wait, t hey call their schitt crack and heroin .... is there a pattern here?

Feeling like it has to be someone making a joke. People want to be conned, I guess.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #30,682 of 149,271
The point is not that companies change their product lines. It's that some companies make the right call and other companies do not. The headphone jack removal is, to my mind, a step backward, but if Apple is betting on wireless headphones and thin devices, investing money on bigger and better DACs and amps internal to the phone, and the bigger batteries required, would be a step backward. I think modularity makes sense from a manufacturing perspective for sure, and adds value to the total lifespan of a device. So far, Jason hasn't demonstrated any upgrades to any amplifier, but the DAC upgrades are impressive.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #30,683 of 149,271
They're saying it doesn't matter if having everything in one box matters to you....

I don't understand where you are going with this.

I fully understand Gen 5 USB doesn't fit in Jot/Lyr 3, however when the DAC module only has a USB input there's no possible way to even use Eitr with it, is what I'm getting at.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #30,684 of 149,271
The point is not that companies change their product lines. It's that some companies make the right call and other companies do not. The headphone jack removal is, to my mind, a step backward, but if Apple is betting on wireless headphones and thin devices, investing money on bigger and better DACs and amps internal to the phone, and the bigger batteries required, would be a step backward. I think modularity makes sense from a manufacturing perspective for sure, and adds value to the total lifespan of a device. So far, Jason hasn't demonstrated any upgrades to any amplifier, but the DAC upgrades are impressive.

I have a original Pixel XL and a pixel 2. Google trolled Apple when the I7's came out about not having a headphone jack. Then came pixel 2 and we got dongled. I initially thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal. The SQ on the original Pixel was awful, like really awful, but the dongle sucks. One more thing to carry with, and it doesn't work reliably half the time anyway. Love the camera, but still wish I had an LG

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #30,685 of 149,271
Ragnarok Connection to REL Subwoofer Compatibility Inquiry...

I do not mean to derail any current threads/topics...and am genuinely sorry if this question is off current topic, HOWEVER...

I need to know if the Ragnarok amplifier section/speaker outputs can safely be connected via the REL speakon cables to the high level/speaker level inputs of the REL subwoofers...as opposed to connecting the Ragnarok to the REL subs via the pre-amplifier/line level outputs of the Ragnarok, into the line level inputs on the REL subwoofer...?...

The reason for using the speaker level outputs/inputs is due to that being the preferred/recommended connection according to REL..(a more direct connection and therefore cleaner interface/greater signal integrity). REL lists and has amplifier-design specific videos demonstrating the way to make the connections from a variety of different amplifier designs, however, they do not have one for the Ragarok's "Circlotron" design/topology.

I am driving a pair of Audience Clairaudient 1+1 V2+ monitors with the amplifier section of my Ragnarok. Due to their relatively limited audible low frequency output limit, (circa 60Hz.-80Hz.), I am planning on augmenting the bass with a pair of REL subwoofers...quite possibly a pair of their T5i subs. I am looking forward to augmenting the 1+1's so that the system might reproduce the entire orchestral frequency range with reasonable dynamic range...

For what it is worth, the Ragnarok does appear to drive the 1+1's nicely, (sufficient power/control, etc,...), however, I am reasonably sure that there might be dedicated amps which might drive them even better, as the 1+1's greatest strengths are their clarity, imaging, (depth and breadth), and overall sonic naturalness within their inherent limitations due to design parameters.

Please feel free to weigh-in on the original inquiry, or anything else on which I have touched.

THANK YOU!
T.A.K.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #30,686 of 149,271
I have a original Pixel XL and a pixel 2. Google trolled Apple when the I7's came out about not having a headphone jack. Then came pixel 2 and we got dongled. I initially thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal. The SQ on the original Pixel was awful, like really awful, but the dongle sucks. One more thing to carry with, and it doesn't work reliably half the time anyway. Love the camera, but still wish I had an LG

So maybe.... just maybe.... sometimes, it's actually a good idea to actually listen to your damn consumers?

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #30,687 of 149,271
I don't understand where you are going with this.

I fully understand Gen 5 USB doesn't fit in Jot/Lyr 3, however when the DAC module only has a USB input there's no possible way to even use Eitr with it, is what I'm getting at.

Very good point and one that I've been mentally grappling with. While Wyrd could be of benefit to some with USB related issues in the case where one only has a USB input,Wyrd is not equivalent to Gen 5 with its associated benefits. You'd think that if a Schiit DAC or platform associated module did not offer a Gen 5 USB solution, that it would at least be able to accommodate use of the fabulous Eitr.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #30,689 of 149,271
For the last couple/three days, I, as well as Justin at REL have been attempting to contact Schiit Audio regarding compatibility/connection issues between the Ragnarok and REL subwoofers...TYPICALLY, Schiit Audio is relatively prompt regarding responding to e-mail inquiries...however, neither Justin from REL nor I have yet received any response from Schiit Audio...

I am wondering if Schiit Audio is exhibiting at CANJAM Singapore, and have shut down operations, and/or the entire office during this audio event. Might anyone confirm or deny that Schiit Audio is "incommumicato" at present...?...

Thank you...

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #30,690 of 149,271
I need to know if the Ragnarok amplifier section/speaker outputs can safely be connected via the REL speakon cables to the high level/speaker level inputs of the REL subwoofers...as opposed to connecting the Ragnarok to the REL subs via the pre-amplifier/line level outputs of the Ragnarok, into the line level inputs on the REL subwoofer...?...
Yes they can. I do it every day.
But... be aware:

1st Turn on the Ragnarok and wait until it cycles through it's startup.
2nd Now you can turn on the REL sub.

If you turn on the REL before the Ragnarok got through it's startup sequence it will give you a loud humm until it clicks in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back