Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #30,557 of 151,753
Would be nice to get coax input on the multibit card and on/off switch for tube :) What do you think guys? - for the Lyr 3

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #30,559 of 151,753
Several people have said that you can't change Asgard to class AB because Asgard is class A. I understand the sentiment but I disagree, because with that mentality, you would never change anything.

Change just for the sake of it is never good, IMO. It has to be at least somewhat qualitative. The only reason to change from Class A to AB is better efficiency for some power-hungry headphones (which is less of a problem these days). Otherwise, in theory, it's always going to be a compromise as far as pure SQ. Some people just see no reason or need to compromise, so for them Asgard is a natural choice. Don't take it from them.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #30,561 of 151,753
@madwolfa

I definitely agree that change for the sake of change is bad. If it's true that changing Asgard from pure class A reduces sound quality, then I certainly agree with you that Asgard should not change. That being said, while "in theory" class A should sound the best, in practice that might not be the case. I seriously doubt Jason would make an Asgard 3 (of any topology) that he thought sounded worse than Asgard 2. Which brings me back to my main point: I think his decision should be based only on making the best sounding product (in his opinion) that he can make for the price, whatever approach that leads him to take.

Or, like others have said, he can make a new product and leave Asgard alone. From our perspective, that would probably be the best, but it might not be the best for Schiit.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #30,562 of 151,753
Be careful if you do not know what you are doing---just because something fit or appears to work does not mean that it is right. The E88CC draws 300 ma heater current, while the 6SN7 requires 600 ma. So, do you think that doubling the current has no effect on the amplifier??

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #30,563 of 151,753
I have been meaning to try this, also want to try some 5670/6n3's. I have a pair of Ken Rad VT-231's in my Icon Audio amp. But Jason keeps coming up with stuff. :)Anyway, a pair of adapters are now on their way, thanks!

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #30,564 of 151,753
So I assume this is a good thread to suggest ideas.

Ever think about a basic add-on card that is just an extra set of RCA inputs? Or even a 3.5mm input? Not as important for Jotunheim but I think people would appreciate having a second input on the Lyr 3 if they already have a couple of sources. It might take sales away from Sys but that never stopped you before.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #30,565 of 151,753
Be careful if you do not know what you are doing---just because something fit or appears to work does not mean that it is right. The E88CC draws 300 ma heater current, while the 6SN7 requires 600 ma. So, do you think that doubling the current has no effect on the amplifier??

The original Lyr handles the 6SN7 tubes and their heater current draw just fine. The Lyr 2 will not.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #30,566 of 151,753
The original Lyr handles the 6SN7 tubes and their heater current draw just fine. The Lyr 2 will not.
My original Lyr is from 5 years ago, so I guess I should play with it before I cash in my chips, or need Mike's donut pillow! :gs1000smile:

Thanks for the advice.

As always, play carefully! Especially if it will void your warranty.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #30,567 of 151,753
I'll give it another try at work tomorrow. I didn't really notice any difference. It's just an increase in gain, which I thought I read somewhere on this thread is just another amp stage. I'm a noob and could be wrong, but I thought the fewer stages a
signal goes through before getting to your ears the better.

I notice high gain on M3 has noticeable better vocals and slam, I have rare ears though, I can hear bass deeper than most people can.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #30,568 of 151,753
Can someone post a link to the Schiitr video(s) that does not require logging in to Facebook? Never mind, I found the link on the Lyr 3 thread.
fwiw, I have never had to log into facebook to view a Schiit facebook video.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #30,569 of 151,753
fwiw, I have never had to log into facebook to view a Schiit facebook video.
Yesterday, I was about 3/4 of the way through the video, and facebook said that I needed to log in. I could still hear the sound but they put a heavy gray mask over the video, so I could barely see it.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #30,570 of 151,753
Yesterday, I was about 3/4 of the way through the video, and facebook said that I needed to log in. I could still hear the sound but they put a heavy gray mask over the video, so I could barely see it.

My goal is to be the last remaining person, in the US at least, without a Facebook account. Still sticking to my guns... and Facebook can stick it.

...sounds like you may be in a similar boat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back