Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #30,541 of 151,658
The limitations of the approach become obvious soon after. Want to use Loki? Can't. Want to have a digital input other than USB? Can't. Want to have more than one digital input? Can't. Gen 5 USB? Haha, nope. Keep it warm and toasty without a source plugged in, while saving the tube? Nah.

While the Jotunheim with DAC module that I have serves basically as that (DAC + preamp/headamp) for now, which I'm grateful for, I also have to keep using my Sound Blaster E5 to have optical input. So while it's tempting to spend $200 to upgrade to Multibit (and I would have spent $100 extra to go with Multibit right away at the time I bought it), the Mimby makes more sense. But then you still have no gen 5 USB, and a wall wart. So Bimby? Too expensive for what it does better (I really don't understand why it costs so much more than Mimby). So... it's gonna be at least a Gumby at some point. There I can better see where the money goes.

Not everyone's priorty is flexiblity and absolute sound quality, the modules would cut down on some clutter. A system that's music server + preamp with jot cards + vidar + speakers would look really clean.

Plus, from a pure value perspective, a step attenuated tube preamp with two modes of operation and a multibit dac inside for ~$550 is unhead of. It's hard to buy just a simple passive stepped attenuator for that price.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #30,542 of 151,658
multibit.jpg
Does the Multibit DAC card mount vertically still or horizontal?

From the pictures, I don't see the pin outs like on the other cards to hook it up, so I'm a bit confused on how it installs and it connected.
Are the pin outs on the other side of the card pointing down, and the card mounts horizontally?

4490%20g2%201920.jpg

multibit%20DAC%20card%201920.jpg

From looking at the board. Those in the yellow might be the pin outs and the board install horizontally. It might be too wide vertically. This is just my guess. However, in the blue, I'm wondering what it is for. For Opamp? A board within a board which upgradable, crazy huh :D

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #30,543 of 151,658
Not everyone's priorty is flexiblity and absolute sound quality, the modules would cut down on some clutter. A system that's music server + preamp with jot cards + vidar + speakers would look really clean.

Plus, from a pure value perspective, a step attenuated tube preamp with two modes of operation and a multibit dac inside for ~$550 is unhead of. It's hard to buy just a simple passive stepped attenuator for that price.
Right, if it covers all your needs, and your needs won't change, it's a neat setup. You just have to be really sure, otherwise you're going to spend more in the long run (i.e. dedicated DAC and then not using the $100/$200 DAC module you paid for, and can't repurpose). It's certainly good to have the option.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #30,544 of 151,658

From looking at the board. Those in the yellow might be the pin outs and the board install horizontally. It might be too wide vertically. This is just my guess.
I think I saw the pins stick out of the back in the Schiit Show #3 video on Facebook, but somehow I can only get it in crappy resolutions right now, so I can't confirm. It would make sense, though.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #30,546 of 151,658
@ the discussion regarding pluses and minuses of the new modularity approach vs dedicated components. I think for a few groups of people the option the schiit has been developing is really nice for, the first being those just starting to dabble in hifi where this modular setup is less confusion and easier to get up and running with good results. The second being enthusiasts who are looking at a smaller system for second and third locations. The other one I can think of is those who have been around and are wanting to downsize and simplify.

Not everyone has a lot of space to dedicate to this hobby, due to many factors, apartment size, wife/GF, kids etc.

I'm luckly that I can have a large cabinet because my wife also likes music and we have an excess of room at home.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #30,548 of 151,658
Lol I just know I will end up ordering a multibit Lyre 3 sometime soon, lol. I am a amp junky lol.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #30,549 of 151,658
Lol I just know I will end up ordering a multibit Lyre 3 sometime soon, lol. I am a amp junky lol.
I am looking forward to rolling in some of my 6sn7 collection. I'm afraid my original Lyr is heading to the work shop system.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #30,551 of 151,658
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #30,552 of 151,658
I have to say, I love how Jason has implemented modular components. Not because the built-in option is necessarily better, but because there doesn't seem to be much added cost to the original product due to the modular portion. What I mean is, if Jason made a Lyr 3 without the optional card slot, I doubt it would be any better as a dedicated headphone amp, or any cheaper. This way, if you like one of the modules, you can get it. If you don't, you haven't lost anything. Buy the amp and whatever DAC (or other source) you want to pair it with.

Also, as another person pointed out earlier, I think it would make a ton of sense for Schiit to offer a simple RCA input card for the Jot/Lyr. I imagine it would be an easy/cheap board to make, and for those that don't want a real card, they would be able to use the toggle built into the front (!) to switch between sources (like a DAC and phono preamp) without a more complex/compromised external solution like Sys.

Personally, it does seem slightly difficult to justify getting a built-in multibit card with USB only when for $50 more I could get a Mimby, which adds two inputs, and more importantly, can be re-purposed elsewhere when I want to upgrade or just simply change functionality. But, I can see why a streamlined setup might mean more to someone than those other advantages, and like I said earlier, I think Schiit's approach lets everyone have their cake and eat it too.

I'm not a potential customer of any Asgard product because I care much more about my 2 channel gear (Magni is enough for my headphone listening). Regardless, here is my opinion: I think that sometimes you need to kill your darlings. Several people have said that you can't change Asgard to class AB because Asgard is class A. I understand the sentiment but I disagree, because with that mentality, you would never change anything. From the perspective of running a company, if changing Asgard will anger your most loyal customers, then that's a good enough reason not to do it. But ideally, I think you should make the products you think are best for the price regardless of what type of products those are. If I'm spending $250 on a headphone amp, I want it to be the best sounding amp. The massive flaw in my argument is that no one is ever going to agree on what sounds best. My point though is that I would rather if Jason, as an engineer, always made what he thought was the best, without any artificial limits.

Personally, class A sounds fun, but something truly new and unique sounds even better, especially with fun names like Coherence and Continuity :wink:

My next purchase is going to be a Bimby, but I'm waiting for an update. Not because I feel there is one imminent, but because I'm not in any rush, it's been 2 years since the original board came out (which I consider somewhat long for a digital product), and I will just feel warmer inside hitting the order button immediately after an update.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #30,554 of 151,658
Uh Jason,
Is the SOL resting on some shelf too?
No, I think the platter is hanging from a hook in his office by way of a variety of drive belts to test their longevity and resilience. Hopefully before years end.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #30,555 of 151,658
Uh Jason,
Is the SOL resting on some shelf too?

There was quite a bit of discussion on just this topic on the Schitr Facebook video when the new products were announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back