Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #286 of 151,085
Semantics! The real question was where the heck was Carlos in the movies? His antagonist role was just as big as Jason's (except in Supremacy)-like having a Supeman movie without Lex Luthor-but worse even.

Back on topic we'll never see another Ludlum. Schiit.

-Daniel

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #287 of 151,085
  According to Sennheiser "Max. nominal continuous input power" is "500mW." That's 1/2 W. At that point one's ears should have melted off the sides of their head long ago and their HD650 would be destined for the rubbish bin. So how much power does one need for HD650's? Not much. Orthodynamics need more but not megawatts.

Stan, I'm just relaying my experiences with the acclaimed at that time XcanV3 and HD650 combo...even I read somewhere by the creators it delivered 1 watt - I took magazine reviews seriously then as I knew nothing of head-fi.  I question now, was it peak power? and at what ohms? I do know it can power my planar a tad better than the HD650.

I have learned a lot about circuit design principles in audio circuits and the Xcan is nothing special - I still like it and still use it - that is all I use right now due to room constraints.  But I have a far higher respect for Schiit than I do for Musical Fidelity in knowing what I now know.  They educate us and then let us make up our own minds - can't say the same from my experience with Bryston and Musical Fidelity.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #289 of 151,085

Stan, I'm just relaying my experiences with the acclaimed at that time XcanV3 and HD650 combo...even I read somewhere by the creators it delivered 1 watt - I took magazine reviews seriously then as I knew nothing of head-fi.  I question now, was it peak power? and at what ohms? I do know it can power my planar a tad better than the HD650.

I have learned a lot about circuit design principles in audio circuits and the Xcan is nothing special - I still like it and still use it - that is all I use right now due to room constraints.  But I have a far higher respect for Schiit than I do for Musical Fidelity in knowing what I now know.  They educate us and then let us make up our own minds - can't say the same from my experience with Bryston and Musical Fidelity.

What impresses me about the guys at Schiit is that they don't slap opamps and buffers on a board, base their work on the application notes for those chips and call it a day. They take the time and effort to design with discrete components and bias them properly so that they operate linearly. They offer a quality product at an awesome price. Not to mention, the stuff sounds right.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #290 of 151,085
The case for my Lehmann amp...I paid $1100 dollars cash over the counter...join head-fi and realise these circuits are generic and can be made to sell for $250 complete...I built a kit amp with a similar circuit with a dual left right mirror circuit - BCL is not mirrored - this sounded better than the BCL with better channel separation - the parts cost me $100.

It must be very difficult to operate a business with the low margins that Schiit are making.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #291 of 151,085
  The case for my Lehmann amp...I paid $1100 dollars cash over the counter...join head-fi and realise these circuits are generic and can be made to sell for $250 complete...I built a kit amp with a similar circuit with a dual left right mirror circuit - BCL is not mirrored - this sounded better than the BCL with better channel separation - the parts cost me $100.

It must be very difficult to operate a business with the low margins that Schiit are making.

Somehow they manage to do what others cannot. I'm glad they do and so well. They are inching themselves up the pricing scale with newer products but it looks like they are continuing the notion of delivering great value.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #292 of 151,085
From what I can tell, these pieces of Schiit (do you know how long I've waited to say that 
atsmile.gif
, in the 'proper' context?) are low parts count devices.  
This is a 'trick' that they use quite masterfully.
And which we as owners, appreciate all the more.

That doesn't mean they are unsophisticated, no, no, not by a LONG shot.

I have the Mojo amp and it is wonderful.  
It is also a VERY 'simple' design if you've ever studied the basic design layout.
The parts count, for the amplifier circuit itself is very low, especially considering any other balanced circuit design.
And from what I can tell the rest of their designs follow this same design philosophy (even if they don't show pictures of the 'underside' of the circuit boards
evil_smiley.gif
).

This means (as was pointed out previously) they focus their design prowess onto tweaking the operating parameters to achieve maximum performance (90volt rails for an 8w output?!).  And from the owners manual;
Volume Knob. Turn it to the right to make the music louder. Stop before smoke comes out of your cans. Seriously.

And they seem to be able to achieve these sorts of remarkable results time and time again.

And nothing I'm bringing up here is new.  In fact 'they' have already told us all of this before, just not quite in this way…

And I know I'm not the only one, patiently waiting for their next salvo, due out 'soon'.  
L3000.gif

JJ :thumb

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #293 of 151,085
Feb 16, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #295 of 151,085

According to Sennheiser "Max. nominal continuous input power" is "500mW." That's 1/2 W. At that point one's ears should have melted off the sides of their head long ago and their HD650 would be destined for the rubbish bin. So how much power does one need for HD650's? Not much. Orthodynamics need more but not megawatts.

+1 on that!

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #296 of 151,085
  Volume Knob. Turn it to the right to make the music louder. Stop before smoke comes out of your cans. Seriously.

Jason, this needs to be on a t-shirt. Seriously.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #298 of 151,085
Feb 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #299 of 151,085
  What impresses me about the guys at Schiit is that they don't slap opamps and buffers on a board, base their work on the application notes for those chips and call it a day. They take the time and effort to design with discrete components and bias them properly so that they operate linearly. They offer a quality product at an awesome price. Not to mention, the stuff sounds right.

^and this is pretty much why I will always look at the Schiit audio options, before I look at any other brands, for any upcoming audiophile purchases.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #300 of 151,085
  ^and this is pretty much why I will always look at the Schiit audio options, before I look at any other brands, for any upcoming audiophile purchases.

I see that you have the S4 and S4a listedin your signature. I assume that's the Klipsch IEMs. If so do you find an annoying peak in the treble that turns silabance into an unpleasant experience? I picked up a pair because of its Android compatibility for answering calls and the recommendation from CNET. I had to tune it out with the parametric EQ when using the Neutron app but that really doesn't cut it for me, especially when not using Neutron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back