Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #28,099 of 149,272
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #28,100 of 149,272
My first Blue 'lights' were actually VU Meters :ksc75smile:

upload_2018-1-5_7-0-53.jpeg

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #28,101 of 149,272
Having said that, may I please inquire as to how you like or dislike JRiver?
...Is JRiver good stuff?
I use JRiver with the Sonarworks Plug-in. I have the Sonarworks Plug-in because they have an average calibration (in the dropdown) for the HD 700's. But I use it almost like iTunes (you can upload all your music from itunes into JRiver) I have my Marantz NA 7004 Music Server in my Family Room and my computer is in my office on the other side of the house and by DLNA I am able to get 24bit/96kHz from my Marantz by selecting that in the output settings in JRiver.

I hope this helps.

Try it out with the 30 day trial and work up your own thoughts.

For me, JRiver has more capability than I'm likely to fully exploit.

One of its best and most powerful capabilities is its library management functionality. The ability to import to meta data tags based on filename structure and/or rename, copy and move files back the other way (according to a user specified template) while maintaining database integrity pays a real user return with interest.

Their platform pretty well plays any format directly or indirectly (through their convolver).

They also offer their own database of cover art and metadata if you're using JRiver to rip audio. This is also useful for files with missing meta data, although I use MusicBrainz Picard when I want comprehensive detail.

Plus the master licence option (covering Windows, OSX and Linux) is handy. Throw in the "reasonable number" of installations, plus a portable option where you can install to USB and you've got a very usable platform base.

Too much too cover. There'll no doubt be similar stories from other software. Can't comment. I've been using JRiver since version 16. It's now at v23 and I use it for video, tv and (to a lesser extent) photo management.

All the best making a selection. At least you've got plenty of options out there to choose from.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #28,103 of 149,272
I just ordered my older brother a Vali 2. I had eye surgery yesterday and it is still very difficult to see but I MAGNIFIED the pages/font and it looks like I got it all in there. I believe he will put it to good use and enjoy listening to music with it!

Ha! you magnified a vali order. Hope they don't forget to include the tube.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #28,104 of 149,272
I recommend MusicBee. I tried JRiver when Pono partnered with them. Compared to MusicBee, it used more resources, was not as user friendly and it did not sound any better. MusicBee has great library management and layout customization features, plus it is free. https://getmusicbee.com/ .

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #28,105 of 149,272
I just ordered my older brother a Vali 2. I had eye surgery yesterday and it is still very difficult to see but I MAGNIFIED the pages/font and it looks like I got it all in there. I believe he will put it to good use and enjoy listening to music with it!

Hope you recover soon OldRoadToad. Good job ordering the Vali 2. Your brother will love it. Got mine a Magni 3 for Christmas.

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #28,106 of 149,272

I am sure your brother will love it.

Now its time for Uncle ORT to get some Schiit of his own...

:L3000:

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #28,107 of 149,272

What if, because of your poor eyesight, you ordered your brother a Ragnarok.
Does he have to give it back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back