Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #27,346 of 150,535
"The Loki wasn't too far off the ARS model 2200."
The 2200 is listed at $1,450. It does have 10 bands and is balanced.
The Loki is listed at $150.
Good to read they sound similar. Thanks.

I got mine strait from ARS and with a nice JPY to USD conversion got it new for $1200 shipped. The Loki mini is either amazingly good for the price or allot of eq builder's out there didn't put in much work for the money they charge. The faux fairchild 627 was my favorite out of 6 $1k bespoke pro/hifi eq's. It did not quite fit in my setup though and the ARS did and still sounded very nice, solid second place.

The loki mini and se-p900 were just WOW as far as bang for buck. Very much kept up (loki mini) and destroyed (se-p900) their $1k competition. I'm going to try and make it to a Nashville meet in 2018 and let you guys have some fun with the hd800 and se-p900.

The Eitr is another WOW product imo. though it is hard to say whether it is the Eitr or the Sony DAS-R1. My favorite dac experience and very far from being the most expensive.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #27,347 of 150,535
I got in the AcuPwr in from your side of the pond today.
Guess what.
Instant succes. BIG step up in SQ for only $299 and a bit of headaches for Santa.
No Schiit.
It's a ridiculous great upgrade.
I've been looking into it - new place I'll have a small fridge for beers in the same room.

Because of reasons is the only place it can be.

The acupwr cost about as much as an eu-made and shipped one, so I guess I'll be getting a pair.

Question though:

AVR - UPS - Schiit
or
UPS - AVR - Schiit?

Yes, I do need the ups. It's a pure sine wave one of course.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #27,348 of 150,535
I've been looking into it - new place I'll have a small fridge for beers in the same room.

Because of reasons is the only place it can be.

The acupwr cost about as much as an eu-made and shipped one, so I guess I'll be getting a pair.

Question though:

AVR - UPS - Schiit
or
UPS - AVR - Schiit?

Yes, I do need the ups. It's a pure sine wave one of course.
That's a question for @Ableza
I don't have UPS versions.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #27,349 of 150,535
I really don't understand the need for a stereo balance control with today's gear, but an easy solution would be to insert a mono level control into both left and right signal paths then set each to your desired levels.

Not all recordings are just exactly perfect. For example, as bands cull their vaults of live recordings for public release, some of these recordings were made from either front-of-house mixing boards, or dedicated recording mixers on-the-fly at the concert. The issue is that the stereo image is not always properly centered, even after mastering for release. Additionally, some of us have musical sources from bands that have allowed audience members to record live concerts over the years, and these too suffer from stereo imbalances.

Building a balance control into an EQ would provide us end-users with additional flexibility in making these types of recordings even more listenable at home by restoring a function that has been lost on current audio gear. That extra knob may even make a few sales for Schiit.

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #27,350 of 150,535
Maybe today's systems does not require one, but what about the listener? Maybe the listener has lost some of his listening in one ear, then I think it would be useful.
I agree. My HP amp - the wonderful Bryston BHA-1 - has a balance adjustment. I use it to combat ear wax buildup from time to time.
Removing ear wax isn't all that easy! Especially when it's like tar. So, easier to adjust the amp's balance than go to the hydrogen peroxide.
:) All.

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #27,351 of 150,535
upload_2017-12-12_1-16-37.jpeg

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #27,354 of 150,535
So here’s the story..

@HumanFly , as you all know repaired my PS Audio Power Plant Premier.
He was here on Saturday to bring the PS back.
He had to go somewhere to a party and I made him a pizza as I promised I would.
Because he was curious, like me, if the repair was at all successful I hooked up the PS between the Ragnarok and mains.
@HumanFly can talk I mile a minute and while he did that I crept under the stack and plugged in the stuff.

As a guest and being my eternal savior he was entitled to the best listening position and so we got listening.
Now we got started with all kinds of jazz, voice, strings, wind etc.
It immediately was very clear that the PS did its job very well indeed.
Darker blacks, more spacing, real nothings… the works.

@HumanFly ate his pizza while talking and at some time he left me to get to that party.
He can talk and eat without being a dork.
A feat my father always tried but never mastered.

I kept listening, mailed some people here to voice my joy and kept listening.
The time came to get to bed so I shut off the rig and the PS audio.
Constanza likes a sharp daily routine. I have not that much to say in the matter.
But….. the Ragnarok stayed on…. While it should have shut down with the PS.

You feel it coming don’t you?
After some investigation it turned out the PS was not in the chain at all because I hooked it up to a HP-amp we did not use.
There you go!! Golden ears all round oh yeah….
At least I now know the AcuPwr works fantastic.
AND.. as you must agree with me now.. the PS is soooo good you can hear the difference even when not in the chain.

Today I tested the PS for real with the Freya that came from Santa yesterday (more on that later) and it works fine indeed.
And I really THINK I heard a difference!!!

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #27,355 of 150,535
I "think" they key word in all of that is the last "THINK" hehe :D

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #27,356 of 150,535
Well...I ~think~ the difference is more evident when you take it back out of the chain. My stuff just sounds a tad duller now I brought the heavy lump of metal back to its rightfull owner.
And ofcourse I cannot be blamed for this mishap AT ALL!!! since I was just overwhelmed by your setup all over again. Normally I would hear these things for sure.
I think.
*coughcough*

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #27,357 of 150,535
Well...I ~think~ the difference is more evident when you take it back out of the chain. My stuff just sounds a tad duller now I brought the heavy lump of metal back to its rightfull owner.
And ofcourse I cannot be blamed for this mishap AT ALL!!! since I was just overwhelmed by your setup all over again. Normally I would hear these things for sure.
I think.
*coughcough*
Sure. You're not to blame.
And the PS works as a "tierelier" now. So I am grateful AND happy.
You're entitled for ever to come for pizza now.
Meanwhile I'll figure out a way to say something too a few times.
A mute knob for humans would make me rich beyond all beyonds.

As I wrote my Freya came in and I'm testing today.
It's a pre-pre into the Ragnarok for a more "tuby" sound.
I can tell right away. It's NOT a subtle difference.
I like it a lot.
Now I have to burn in the lot and let you all know in a few.

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #27,358 of 150,535
Sure. You're not to blame.
And the PS works as a "tierelier" now. So I am grateful AND happy.
You're entitled for ever to come for pizza now.
Meanwhile I'll figure out a way to say something too a few times.
A mute knob for humans would make me rich beyond all beyonds.

As I wrote my Freya came in and I'm testing today.
It's a pre-pre into the Ragnarok for a more "tuby" sound.
I can tell right away. It's NOT a subtle difference.
I like it a lot.
Now I have to burn in the lot and let you all know in a few.

When you use the Freya as a preamp with the Ragnarok how do you have the Ragnarok set up? Are you using one of the Ragnarok's balanced inputs? What gain is the Ragnarok set on? Is the volume knob on the Ragnarok turned all the way up?

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #27,360 of 150,535
When you use the Freya as a preamp with the Ragnarok how do you have the Ragnarok set up? Are you using one of the Ragnarok's balanced inputs? What gain is the Ragnarok set on? Is the volume knob on the Ragnarok turned all the way up?
Yes it's all balanced.
Rag volume is at 3/4 gain at highest and I use Freya volume for control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back