Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #26,281 of 150,704
Want to play a dap through my home system. It only outputs 1 volt. Could use a little more output to drive the poweramp and reclaim some dynamics. If a Magni 3 was inserted between the dap out and preamp RCA inputs, would this get me closer to 2 volts into the amp? Thanks.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #26,282 of 150,704
LOKI.GIF

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #26,283 of 150,704
Want to play a dap through my home system. It only outputs 1 volt. Could use a little more output to drive the poweramp and reclaim some dynamics. If a Magni 3 was inserted between the dap out and preamp RCA inputs, would this get me closer to 2 volts into the amp? Thanks.

The specs for the Magni 3 state a selectable gain of either 2 or 7 so yes, it should work for you.

JC

Nov 7, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #26,286 of 150,704
Time to Talk Schiit Part 1

Schiit Silver Remote for Saga and Freya:
Pictures do not do this piece of Schiit justice. I thought perhaps this was just an aluminum cladding over plastic ... but I guess not? The new silver Schiit remote feels like a SOLID chunk of metal. Textured metal at that ... with nice rounded edges too. VERY substantial in comparison to the old plastic job. The buttons on the new silver remote have more tactile feedback than the old plastic job too. Thank goodness, as there's no longer an indicator LED on the remote itself.

I think not having an LED on the new remote is a joke ... like a joke on all of us who whined about Schiit's bright AF LEDs on their equipment. So now I have LEDs on my Saga, Mani, and Mimby burning holes in my retinas ... but no LED indicator on my remote to let me know my button presses are transmitting.

Pros:
Beautiful to behold
Nice weight in the hand or pocket
Increased tactile feedback
Feels and looks like sex
Costs less than it could

Cons:
No LED on remote
No manual / instructions included
Should cost $2 more (with an LED)

Verdict:
You should have bought this yesterday. What ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!?!
( ...dude ... it's $18 ... like seriously ... BUY IT!)

Schiit Silver Remote with old and Saga Mani Mimby.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #26,288 of 150,704

Pictures do not do this piece of Schiit justice. I thought perhaps this was just an aluminum cladding over plastic ... but I guess not? The new silver Schiit remote feels like a SOLID chunk of metal. Textured metal at that ... with nice rounded edges too. VERY substantial in comparison to the old plastic job. The buttons on the new silver remote have more tactile feedback than the old plastic job too. Thank goodness, as there's no longer an indicator LED on the remote itself.

I think not having an LED on the new remote is a joke ... like a joke on all of us who whined about Schiit's bright AF LEDs on their equipment. So now I have LEDs on my Saga, Mani, and Mimby burning holes in my retinas ... but no LED indicator on my remote to let me know my button presses are transmitting.

Pros:
Beautiful to behold
Feels and looks like sex
Costs less than it could

Cons:
No LED on remote

Verdict:

I actually wish they had made the LED on the preamp itself blink when you changed the volume, rather than on the remote (old remote). You can't really hear the clicking from the preamp when you're listening to something at a half-decent volume. Never looked at the LED on the remote anyhow, so I'm ok that its gone from the new remote. At least the buttons on the new one have a tactile click against your finger, you just can't always quickly tell if it registered on the preamp for slight volume changes.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #26,289 of 150,704
I actually wish they had made the LED on the preamp itself blink when you changed the volume, rather than on the remote (old remote).

Genius idea ... I concur!!!

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #26,291 of 150,704

Pros:
Beautiful to behold
Feels and looks like sex
Costs less than it could

Cons:
No LED on remote

Verdict:

What benefit does Saga give you ahead of a cronus magnum? I have the cronus magnum also and could use a couple extra inputs, but this adds an additional tube stage ahead of the 12AU7 preamp tube in the cronus.

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #26,292 of 150,704
Had no idea the Guttenberg had so many fans on here.

I haven't read anything by him that I would consider much above dreck. Talking about his writing style here. Prose doesn't seem to be his forte.
The stuff he's reviewed positively that I've experienced in person has been awful.
Finally, he's written editorials supporting "the as you like it perspective" as Valin calls it. In essence, if it sounds pleasing to him then it's good regardless of other factors.

All of the above makes his reviews a waste of material to me. If you find them worthwhile fine.

HST, I don't think I really trust any of these reviewers as reviewers. Some of them are entertaining writers (not you, Art Dudley). I mean, Darko's comparison of the Gumby to lemons was something to behold!

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #26,293 of 150,704
a couple extra inputs

additional tube stage

These are secondary reasons ... but very important secondary reasons.

The tube buffer and 2nd set of outputs on the Saga are EXCELLENT for driving 20' cables to a pair of subwoofers in stereo. Massive difference between passive and tube mode. It also allows for small volume adjustments of the subs, independent of the Cronus.

These are all great reasons ... but in reality I stumbled onto the Cronus. I was going to get an Atlas Magnum.

The Saga originally controlled a 3.5 watt EL84 SET amp that didn't have remote control, and a junky pot destined to fail.

EDIT: I like colorful sound. MOAR TUBES = BETTER! I also like Klipsch so....:grin:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #26,295 of 150,704
What benefit does Saga give you ahead of a cronus magnum? I have the cronus magnum also and could use a couple extra inputs, but this adds an additional tube stage ahead of the 12AU7 preamp tube in the cronus.

Mention "12A-7" and "audiophile" in the same sentence and watch Mike turn several shades of Technicolor. (Not a good tube for audio, according to the Masters.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back