Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #26,252 of 150,704
Don't fight the tubes, Give in. If you get a Freya, the odds are good that you are going back to tubes.

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #26,253 of 150,704
I was going to get a Saga since I want to go tubeless anyway after I saw how sweet it looks in a stack!

10021146.jpg

But if I get 2 Vidars then I have to use balanced so Freya it is... I bet the Freya looks sick tubeless with a Gumby stacked on top!

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #26,255 of 150,704
My Fav Topic. I have posted this sometime ago but will try my luck once again.

REQUEST for AC Re-generator from Schiit. Power rating 1kW or 2kW.

110V @60Hz / 230V 50Hz -> DC (Storage/Huge Cap etc) -> 110V @60Hz / 230V 50Hz. Flexibility of user switchable.
I keep buying products in USA (Save on cost and time) and I would like like this AC regenerator to be able to take in 230V @50Hz -> 110V @60Hz so that I can use products purchased in USA.

I also would like to buy used equipment from US portals which are 110V @60hz, this flexible AC Re-generator will come in huge handy.

Thanks in advance!
You might check out motor generator sets. If you can find a small one surplus it would give you very clean power at not too high a price. Just be careful as some put out 400 hz power as it's easier to filter for computer rooms. I used to install these by the truckload for VERY sensitive semiconductor equipment.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #26,256 of 150,704
I am not going to go back to tubes, I am not going to go back to tubes, I am not going to go back to tubes. I will hate Schitt if reviews like this make be go back to tubes. I really do need a Freya but I wasn't going to use the tubes. I think I'll just pretend I didn't click that link.
He's a terrible reviewer so you can just ignore anything he says.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #26,258 of 150,704
To contribute further, we sometimes have enough noise on the AC line at Schiit that I can't do critical measurements on the analyzer. This comes and goes, depending on what's happening in the building next to us (they are a sheetmetal fab, they run big industrial lasers and punches and stuff--sadly, they are not good enough to use for our products.) Isolation transformers don't help us much in this case, but it is a very extreme case. Pulling dedicated lines wouldn't help, either, since it's actually in a different building. Dave's big crazy AC shunt filter helps a bit, but sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and go have a beer.

Jason, you could try one of these. http://www.georator.com/direct-coupled.html Even the smallest might be overkill but you wouldn't see any noise from the neighbors on the power line. I've used these to power e-beam writers for making photo masks. It would require its own distribution wiring though.
Ray

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #26,261 of 150,704
Untrue for Freya; unsure about Saga. Jason has covered this multiple times. I only have balanced input into my Freya and balanced output. I am able to listen to music with the tubes pulled out in either passive or JFET mode.
As far as I understand, all modes will produce sound on the balanced out regardless of the input chosen, however with single ended inputs, the balanced out is only truly balanced in tube mode. I think that means for the single ended inputs and passive/JFET mode, one part of the +/- lines in the balanced out is essentially dead/neutral, therefore losing its noise rejection capabilities. Not sure whether volume is affected as well.

Edit: that's for Freya; for Saga there's nothing to discuss because it's single ended only.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #26,262 of 150,704
Well, Alcophone beated me to it :wink:, so I'll only add this quote from the Freya manual (page 5):

"Note: Freya does not convert single-ended to balanced, except when using the tube gain stage.
Note2: Don’t panic—all of Freya’s outputs work fine with all of its inputs, you’ll get output from all of them with any input type."

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #26,263 of 150,704
During my time at the Schiitr last weekend I checked out the new aluminum remote control. Very nice! Good weight, nicely machined with a solid, quality feel. For some reason the remote wasn't in stock at the Schiitr - no big deal, I just ordered it and it arrived yesterday. My suggestion to the friendly Schiit person at the store was to keep it in stock there as well. I attached a photo of the old and the new remote next to each other, but for those of you who have the old plastic remote: Don't hesitate, just place on order for the new one - it's very nice.

Old vs New Remote
by Odin412 on Head-Fi.org

Where can we buy the new remote? I cannot seems to find it on Schiit's web site (I only see the old remote). Does anybody know if new Saga preamps will come with the new remote?

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #26,264 of 150,704
Where can we buy the new remote? I cannot seems to find it on Schiit's web site (I only see the old remote). Does anybody know if new Saga preamps will come with the new remote?

This very question was asked (and answered) a few days ago:

Where's the new remote on the website? I've checked twice and I can't find it...

Products - Accessories - Saga/Freya Remote
http://www.schiit.com/products/sagafreya-remote

Thanks -- I saw that one but I thought that's for the original plastic remote?

The photo hasn't been updated on the product page yet, but you will get the new one (This is what I ordered over a month ago)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back