Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #23,701 of 151,580
My audiophool horror story/confession of note…

I once owned a Moscode 600 power amp.
And of course owing to my compulsion to tweak it and 'make it better' I partially rewired it using much better wire than the tin plated hookup wire it used.

This had 2 consequences one of which 'killed' the amp for all practical purposes.

It did help the bass as I had significantly increased the wire gauge from the output section to the binding posts.
But it also opened up the bandwidth and the amp started to 'ring' like a bell as in it went into oscillation in the 100's of KHz range.

This was (at the time) and unexpected and unwanted consequence of using better wire.

The lesson I learned was sometimes in my enthusiasm to experiment I can defeat other design aspects that keep the operation of the device 'in check'.
And it was yet another reminder to take responsibility for my actions, even if it means I essentially killed the gear I'm fussing with.
It also reinforced my methodology of tweaking, to KNOW when (or even if) I cross that line in the sand where if I brick it, either partially or irretrievably, its all on my dime.

So while it was $$$ expensive, there was much useful info gained.
Think lemons to lemonade, (At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it :wink: ).

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #23,702 of 151,580
I was genuinely transported to Nirvana yesterday listening to a local FM station playing Bob Dylan's catalog in my old pickup truck with (literally) blown speakers and the stock, 1995 Nissan radio while waiting to empty a load of yard waste at the dump. It really is about the music for me.

Music???? You have got to be kidding. I’m holding off on music until Schiit announces it has made every audio technological discovery possible, combined it into a single box that incorporates every source of music known to man and every suggestion ever posted on HeadFi and that other forbidden place, hardwired with 2-inch diameter silver-gold-i2s cables to the world’s most advanced speakers and headphone, and cannot be modified or user serviced in any fashion without being hauled before the International Court at the Hague for criminal anti-social crimes of audio turpitude.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #23,703 of 151,580
I confess that I have between 80 and 100 linear feet of vinyl, mostly jazz, many of which has not seen a digital release other than from a ripped LP. Alas, since the birth of my son just over 5 years ago I have barely added any vinyl and the number of dedicated LP listening sessions has dropped significantly. His birth also seems to coincide with going the headphone route and ultimately getting Schiit-y. Go figure.
  1. Sounded like absolute ass. Bonus points for the first person to state why. A hint: I wasn’t playing 78s.

No reverse RIAA network in a pin / needle / nail / improvised device! (Sorry if someone already pointed this out, it's easy to miss a post around here.)

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #23,705 of 151,580
Schiit Europe site offline. Should I worry about my money I (pre)paid for Vidar?
@Jason Stoddard Can you please inform if something is going on there?

Seems to be working OK for me ... EU and UK !

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #23,708 of 151,580
What big trauma you must have, you know sites sometimes go off on purpose (ie maintenance), at least wait 1 day before panicking.
I can understand his fear. Over here, if you pay in advance and a company goes bust you just lost your money. Your are not going to see a penny of it ever again.
Maybe where you come from this is not the case or maybe you just have a lot of money that you don`t know what to do with,
but for me the thought of losing 800 bucks just has to cross my mind ever so briefly and I poop `em!

I do think however you are in for a bit of a wait. Last time I saw a two week estimate of shipping it turned out to be 3 months.
But when I got the Jotunheim all was forgotten and forgiven.

BTW the Sonority people dont strike me as the grab-the-money-and-run-type at all!

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #23,710 of 151,580
Hey Shiit Audio, Hey Jason and Mike.

I know you guys want to play around with a bunch of crazy ideas. How hard would it be to design and build the worlds first digital pickup, with RIAA, high pass in DSP and more!

I am envisioning an adc, integrated within millimeters of the engine. Skip all that noisy analog stuff. Optical connection.

Think of the .... hype!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #23,711 of 151,580
I think schiit has enough selling to not go under so suddenly but you can't panicking after a couple hours of maintenance (or whatever the reason was).
It`s not Schiit he was scared by.
Sonority is a dutch audio import/retail company and they hold his cash at the moment.
So if they go legs up....poofff...and it`s gone!

But they most likely won`t :)

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #23,713 of 151,580
Modi 2 Uber v Modi Multibit

Has anyone moved from a Modi 2 Uber to a Modi Multibit?

If so, did you feel it was worth it or should I just save up for a Gungnir Multibit?

Thanks

I moved from a Bifrost Uber to a Gungnir Multibit and definitely thought it was worth the upgrade. If the Gungnir is in your plans for the future I would recommend you save up for it.

JC

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #23,714 of 151,580
No reverse RIAA network in a pin / needle / nail / improvised device! (Sorry if someone already pointed this out, it's easy to miss a post around here.)

Yep, exactly!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #23,715 of 151,580
Has anyone gotten a response from Schiit Audio today? I have an issue with a Schiit Eitr and I've emailed both the Schiit tech and the order department in the last few days and have yet to get a response. Do they have the day off for the eclipse? LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back