Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 27, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #22,787 of 149,387
Am I the only one who is interested in a Schiit Yiggy+Pre Amp (in one case) with balanced outputs and fully balanced topology for specific use with 2x Vidars?

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #22,788 of 149,387
Couple more questions (apologies if I'm going too far OT here but...) -

If I get EITR, can I split the 75 ohm coax output into two different DACs?

If I get Yggy, can I split the Balanced outputs into two different preamps like you can easily do with SE outputs?

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #22,789 of 149,387
If I get Yggy, can I split the Balanced outputs into two different preamps like you can easily do with SE outputs?

That should work fine. I use XLR splitters with my Gumby to my Mjolnir 2 and Rotel RA-1570 and it has never caused a problem.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #22,790 of 149,387
Am I the only one who is interested in a Schiit Yiggy+Pre Amp (in one case) with balanced outputs and fully balanced topology for specific use with 2x Vidars?

No. I have an Yggy and a Freya, but am waiting until after my forthcoming move to obtain the requisite Vidars. Having a new listening room will be huge bonus.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #22,791 of 149,387
No, but I am interested in finding a cheap way to convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced signal, as I want to run two Vidars but I don't want to have to purchase a Freya or other balanced preamp to do so.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #22,793 of 149,387
No, but I am interested in finding a cheap way to convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced signal, as I want to run two Vidars but I don't want to have to purchase a Freya or other balanced preamp to do so.

That won't work. The XLR inputs need to come from a device with true balanced and differential XLR output. You can't just convert to XLR and have it work.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #22,794 of 149,387
Which model Maggies? I used one (the pre-production unit they showed at Axpona) with the .7 for a few days at the LA Audio Show and it was an excellent pairing. For many people, the best combo we had in our room. Even the folks from Magnepan that checked our our setup were impressed by it. Plenty of power for the 12.5X19.5 foot room we were in.
Were you using the DWM bass panel? I ask because it apparently causes the impedance to drop down to 2 ohms.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #22,795 of 149,387
USB Gen 5 in my Gumby came back today. Been warming for about 4 hours.

It's hard to say there is a difference, since subbed my Bimby into the chain in place of the Gumby while it was out and so my ears have tuned to that setup. What I can say is that the difference between the Bimby ( with USB Regen) and Gumby (direct) used to be subtle. That is no longer the case. The later is clearly more natural and revealing now. I don't know all the terms to describe it, but I'm glad I made the upgrade ( though still annoyed I sent it in.) I'd recommend if your amp is clean enough pass the changes through.

EDIT: OK I take back the hard to tell the difference with it being out of in schittland. Have put it through a wider array of music now... it hit me most clearly with acoustic music, detail in the decay of instruments is much more detailed. The room the instruments are being played in is much more apparent. Is not subtle.

Gumby > Bottlehead Mainline > HD800

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #22,796 of 149,387
Were you using the DWM bass panel? I ask because it apparently causes the impedance to drop down to 2 ohms.
No we didn't use the DWM. At the show we ran them on their own. At home I used a small Emotiva sub (BasX S8), not to extend the bottom end, but by adjusting phase and crossover point to help tame some dipole cancellation in the 70 to 90 Hz range. That would have been fixed by moving them farther into the room, but my wife put a limit on how far from the wall they could go in our living room! However, she loved the Maggies.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #22,799 of 149,387
That won't work. The XLR inputs need to come from a device with true balanced and differential XLR output. You can't just convert to XLR and have it work.
You can with a transformer that has an unbalanced [2 terminal] primary and a balances, center tap grounded secondary. These transformer adapters should be available----try amazon.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #22,800 of 149,387
USB Gen 5 in my Gumby came back today. Been warming for about 4 hours.

It's hard to say there is a difference, since subbed my Bimby into the chain in place of the Gumby while it was out and so my ears have tuned to that setup. What I can say is that the difference between the Bimby ( with USB Regen) and Gumby (direct) used to be subtle. That is no longer the case. The later is clearly more natural and revealing now. I don't know all the terms to describe it, but I'm glad I made the upgrade ( though still annoyed I sent it in.) I'd recommend if your amp is clean enough pass the changes through.

Gumby > Bottlehead Mainline > HD800

I beleive sending it in got you 2 more years warranty, also you were practically first in line. I'll wait for the home install version, but that may be some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back