Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #22,262 of 155,092
Thank you Jason, also DK, MM, Siegfried, Erda, and Loge!

...and also S-chiit I-s F-un

1199925-sif_super.jpg

Goddess of the harvest and Jason's Pruner of the thread.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #22,263 of 155,092
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #22,264 of 155,092
Vidar has a microprocessor, so it makes sense. If Eitr has one it's really cool but I doubt it. I was hoping for Ethernet.

Yep, Eitr has a microprocessor (for clock management, I think—but that's a Dave question.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #22,265 of 155,092
vidar-internal-1920.jpg

vidar-board-1920.jpg

Jason Stoddard said:
Instead, he saw this:
  • 1 center-tapped transformer winding (for the HV regulated supply)
  • 4 transformer windings (for the high current supply)
  • 1 transformer winding (for the housekeeping stuff)
  • 1 bridge for the HV supply
  • 2 discrete-regulated HV supplies
  • 8 capacitors in the HV supplies
  • 4 bridges for the high-current supplies
  • 4 capacitors for the high-current supplies
  • 2 power diodes (for housekeeping rectification)
  • 2 capacitors for the housekeeping supplies
  • 3 separate regulated supplies for housekeeping functions

I'm trying to learn how amps work. So, can some one please tell me where all the listed parts are in the pictures?

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #22,266 of 155,092
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #22,267 of 155,092
Jason, I have a question about those who come to the Schiitr. The interest in Vidar I think has been awesome here on a sight about headphones. So, the customers that have shown up at the Schiitr for headphone gear and see floor standing speakers, are they equally curious or even more so, about what "2 channel" is all about as it seems on this thread?

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #22,268 of 155,092
Jason, I have a question about those who come to the Schiitr. The interest in Vidar I think has been awesome here on a sight about headphones. So, the customers that have shown up at the Schiitr for headphone gear and see floor standing speakers, are they equally curious or even more so, about what "2 channel" is all about as it seems on this thread?

Seems to be about an equal split between listeners. Some people come and sit and listen for a long time to the speaker side of things, some people just do headphones. There's not a huge amount of crossover, but I think that's mainly because the headphone-listeners skew younger, and may not yet have space for racks of electronics and speakers.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #22,270 of 155,092
2017 Chapter 9: Skipping a Generation

Gen 5 is now the standard USB interface shipping with all of our upgradable DACs—and, of course, it’s available as an upgrade for all of the Bifrosts, Gungnirs, and Yggys that are already out in the world.

Is there a driver update for the Gen 5 USB interface or it works just fine with the Gen 3 driver?

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #22,271 of 155,092
Jason congratulations on releasing the Vidar. Looking at the internal pictures the payout is very well thought of and makes for a very compact build.

One thing I saw missing from the specs and could be important for those wanting to leave them on all the time is the power consumption when idling.
And could you also share the quiescent current and voltage on the output stage?

Also, any plans on making a higher grade phono stage?

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #22,272 of 155,092
Is there a driver update for the Gen 5 USB interface or it works just fine with the Gen 3 driver?

It's using the same CM6631A chip so there shouldn't be any differences software wise. The main change in the interface is electrical, as far as I understood.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #22,274 of 155,092
Seems to be about an equal split between listeners. Some people come and sit and listen for a long time to the speaker side of things, some people just do headphones. There's not a huge amount of crossover, but I think that's mainly because the headphone-listeners skew younger, and may not yet have space for racks of electronics and speakers.

I think it's great that the Schiitr supports both HP and speaker listening, especially now that Schiit Audio has officially moved into the 2-channel realm. Smart planning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back