Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,086 of 151,580
This thread is genius from a marketing standpoint. Of course Jason is Centric founder and an accomplished entrepreneur. I'm willing to bet this thread gets them more customers and nice remarks than any other advertising they do. Kudos Jason. (It's also just darn fun to read!)

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,087 of 151,580
my money would be on a mobile player and/or a desktop speaker amp. Those are both relatively minor extensions of things they are already doing compared to tackling something like wireless streaming, or bothing with something like a storage device that wouldn't leverage their audio know-how and is basically a cheap commodity.

If I were to throw out some crazy ideas:

Schiit Turntable - this would be cool to see but seems pretty far out of their wheelhouse.
Schiit Computer Cases - not much audio engineering required here, but apply their very effective design to a PC enclosure and the geeks will geek out.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,089 of 151,580
  I don't think so, or maybe they want to quadruple their time on customer service, answering why it won't  stream this and that on their setup with 100000000000 possible variations.

Then a mobile DAP is just as unlikely, as anything with a complex UI would have the same consequence.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,090 of 151,580
Personally I think it is great what Schiit is doing. Taking the time and risk to build a good product for 99$ in the US. Respect. And it is an awesome marketing fact within the US. Every single review made about Schiit gear states "it's made in the USA". But for the 700 million potential customers in Europe, other things might be more important.

I don't have experience with "Made in the USA" stuff. Is it a good sign (like made in Germany) is it not? I don't know. The only things from the US we get here are blockbusters and big cars that don't really fit our tiny roads. So no emotions arise when I read "it's made in the USA". I'm neutral to this (and guess what, I'm Swiss).

For Schiit to stay inexpensive, they have to do direct sales. But to me as a potential customer from outside the US this brings disadvantages. I can't just go to the audio store downtown and try the gear before buying it. No one sells Schiit and if they would, it could double the price. Sure, I can order it and send it back within 15 days if I don't like it. Not many companies offer you this option. But I'm in Europe and shipping and transaction fee would set me back at least about 200$ for the bifrost/asgard2 combo without factoring in swiss customs and their handling fee. Thats a lot of money.

Even if I say "what the hell" and just buy the magni/modi combo, shipping and custums adds another 50% on the price. That's not so inexpesive anymore. 

I wonder if Schiit comes up with a good solution for this in the future.

So if Schiit opened an office in say Marseille, and "shipped" from there, perhaps in EU Countries there would be no customs/tariff, no?

OK, Jason, Mike, Alex, I am fully willing to accept the challenge of establishing, creating and managing Schiit's European Subsidiary, I am willing to give my all to support your wonderful company. I would prefer my salary in Britsh Pounds, and it would be a tad small, but a five bedroom Villa would be acceptable.

See the attached Curriculum Vitae, and Refrences :smirk:

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,093 of 151,580
So if Schiit opened an office in say Marseille, and "shipped" from there, perhaps in EU Countries there would be no customs/tariff, no?

OK, Jason, Mike, Alex, I am fully willing to accept the challenge of establishing, creating and managing Schiit's European Subsidiary, I am willing to give my all to support your wonderful company. I would prefer my salary in Britsh Pounds, and it would be a tad small, but a five bedroom Villa would be acceptable.

See the attached Curriculum Vitae, and Refrences :smirk:

It might be not that easy. There are plenty of ways to avoid taxes in the EU like the "Double Irish with a Dutch sandwich" (Google does it, as well as Apple, Amazon, etc.). But not all countries in Europe are EU members and not all EU members have the Euro as a currency. And shipping would still be more expensive than within the US.

And then I think a neutral country in the center of europe with an excellent banking system would be a better place for Schiits european subsidiary :wink:

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,095 of 151,580
Got a brilliant idea, employ the basic idea behind the cabinet as passive heatsinks to computer cases for a passively cooled, simple and elegant noise-free solution, with heatsinks for gpu/CPU integrated using the usual metal pipes to transfer heat to the cabinet itself. That's innovative at least, though not strictly audio. I'd pay top dollar for such a solution if it works well!

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,096 of 151,580
Got a brilliant idea, employ the basic idea behind the cabinet as passive heatsinks to computer cases for a passively cooled, simple and elegant noise-free solution, with heatsinks for gpu/CPU integrated using the usual metal pipes to transfer heat to the cabinet itself. That's innovative at least, though not strictly audio. I'd pay top dollar for such a solution if it works well!

Like this maybe:

http://www.cirrus7.com/produkte/cirrus7-nimbus/overview

I have one of these running Linux. It is completely silent and I whole-heartedly recommend them.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #2,100 of 151,580
  I foresee a Schiit ADC. Considering the competition and their prices, I think Schiit could really shake up that market. 

My thought exactly.  That, or a streamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back