Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,996 of 149,331
The TT story makes me think of a distant in-law relation who took a job resealing the parking lot of a small hotel.  He had no experience and absolutely no clue what he was doing, but somehow convinced the owner he could do the job.  Of course, he ended up buying the wrong product and basically covered their entire parking lot with a sticky tar that never really cured and ended up getting tracked all over the interior of the hotel and basically completely destroyed the place.

Sadly, there isn't much to be gained from suing stupid white-trash.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,997 of 149,331
I was going to say that Schiit is one of the few companies that could benefit from a Facebook "fan" page, but then I got the bright idea to search for it (and there it was!).

A """facebook""" fan page? 

You're looking at it right now.

And his talking about "no social media"?  What do you think this is?  The real thing. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #1,998 of 149,331
Maybe this is a good time to say this: Jason is now the member with the highest number of reputation points on Head-Fi (more or less the most "thumbs up" received). 
beerchug.gif

Before anyone asks though: I wont be giving details about anyone else. At present we don't intend to have reputation publicly visible. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,999 of 149,331
  Maybe this is a good time to say this: Jason is now the member with the highest number of reputation points on Head-Fi (more or less the most "thumbs up" received). 
beerchug.gif

Before anyone asks though: I wont be giving details about anyone else. At present we don't intend to have reputation publicly visible. 

Hmm, interesting...but really not fair to all the other great individuals, reviewers, and MOTs in here. 

I have an unfair advantage, since you guys at Head-Fi were nice enough to give me a forum for this book. Which I really appreciate--I love writing, but I really can't justify the time to do fiction anymore, and I work best when I have a deadline. This "deadline every week" deal works very well for me.

And, for everyone who's voted up a post, thank you! I do appreciate it!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,000 of 149,331
Thanks for all the great Schiit you have done for audiophile community, I love your products and the company's mindset. Have a great evening Jason.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #2,003 of 149,331
beerchug.gif

Cool.  Congrats, Jason.

@Currawong:  How/where can I see one's reputation?

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #2,004 of 149,331
Jason: We appreciate your candid story about your business. A lot of people out there don't have the slightest idea how it is to do what you did, and do. 

Quote:

@Currawong:  How/where can I see one's reputation?

You can't. It isn't even privately visible. There are some thumbs-up stats on the front page though if you click on the area that mentions who posted the most today etc.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,007 of 149,331
At one point it was possible to see your own reputation and which posts generated it. It was only available for a very short time, but I would like to have it back.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,008 of 149,331
At one point it was possible to see your own reputation and which posts generated it. It was only available for a very short time, but I would like to have it back.

Showing reputation metrics, even privately, is tricky to community dynamics. Nobody wants to be reminded that they have zero reputation, and knowing that you have tons of reputation can cause arrogance and exclusion. Anything that makes reputation more visible will cause people to view it as more significant, and can easily slide into spammy requests ("rep me if you liked this post"), unmet implied obligations ("that guy never gives any rep"), actual spam schemes (dummy accounts you create solely to give reputation to your main account), and class divides (which we already have by tying ranks to post counts and is the reason I didn't post here for years, but that ship has sailed).

With reputation being so relatively invisible now, most of these problems are avoided or minimized as there's almost nothing to gain by abusing the system, yet the positive effects are left almost completely intact.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2,009 of 149,331
I agree that on special circumstances I think it correct to share this, however for general use in only my opinion it is not valuable. and would create a very competitive environment. I like the friendly and balanced approach on this forum in general.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2,010 of 149,331
I don't mean we should have a public tally of any kind. It was just nice to go through your rep'd posts and see who rep'd and if there were comments left. Often I will revisit a review thread after many months to find new reps and comments in the reps. It would be nice to be able to do this for all rep'd posts, not just ones you can remember to look at occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back