Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 18, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #19,111 of 151,306
Apr 18, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #19,112 of 151,306
Every time there's a hint a new Schiit product announcement is in the wings, I hope for an A/D converter as good as the Schiit multibit DACs are going the other way.

After all, back in the day @Baldr made a hella good ADC which got used when creating a series of Mobile Fidelity CDs, and what goes out can only be as good as what comes in.

A nice straightforward (in interface and use;  what magic goes on inside isn't my concern) stereo A to D (with an input gain control, and either just taking balanced line inputs on XLRs, or using those combo XLR/TRS jacks), with output via straightforward class-compliant USB (parallel non-computer outputs like AES/EBU, S/PDIF and Toslink optional but potentially handy) would be super-sweet.  If it were cheaper than or the same price as, say, a Lavry AD11 while being even better... I know I'd buy at least one (for home, to use when ripping vinyl) and probably several more (for work at the radio station).

And "Schiit Eitr" just sounds like it should be an ADC!

I have absolutely no idea what kind of sales volume such a gizmo could expect - for it to move enough units be worth adding to the Schiitpile it'd presumably have to sell into the pro audio market as well as the home one, and I assume that'd be a new direction for Schiit.  I think an ADC which punches well above its price class in the usual Schiit way would sell like hotcakes, but I freely admit to not actually knowing a damn thing about likely sales numbers.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #19,114 of 151,306
  Every time there's a hint a new Schiit product announcement is in the wings, I hope for an A/D converter as good as the Schiit multibit DACs are going the other way.

After all, back in the day @Baldr made a hella good ADC which got used when creating a series of Mobile Fidelity CDs, and what goes out can only be as good as what comes in.

A nice straightforward (in interface and use;  what magic goes on inside isn't my concern) stereo A to D (with an input gain control, and either just taking balanced inputs on XLRs, or using those combo XLR/TRS jacks), with output via straightforward class-compliant USB (parallel non-computer outputs like AES/EBU, S/PDIF and Toslink optional but potentially handy) would be super-sweet.  If it were cheaper than or the same price as, say, a Lavry AD11 while being even better... I know I'd buy at least one (for home, to use when ripping vinyl) and probably several more (for work at the radio station).

And "Schiit Eitr" just sounds like it should be an ADC!

I have absolutely no idea what kind of sales volume such a gizmo could expect - for it to move enough units be worth adding to the Schiitpile it'd presumably have to sell into the pro audio market as well as the home one, and I assume that'd be a new direction for Schiit.  I think an ADC which punches well above its price class in the usual Schiit way would sell like hotcakes, but I freely admit to not actually knowing a damn thing about likely sales numbers.

I would make that my next Schiit purchase, piece number 7.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #19,115 of 151,306
Wow, some of you guys need to switch to a decaffeinated brand. Stuff's done when it's done. Things are quiet because we just had a big show and we're getting ready for another big show this weekend.

That said, I can confirm that we'll have a final-but-ugly Vidar at Axpona this weekend. This is not to be confused with the pretty-but-thermally-crappy version we showed at RMAF and has been playing at the Schiitr. In this case, it's a hand-assembled-but-on-final-board-with-final-heatsinks-and-clips-in-an-unfinished-chassis version. PC boards are finally released to production. Now it's a waiting game. (And, before you ask, it'll be done when it's done.)

And I'll have a new chapter for you tomorrow.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 18, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #19,116 of 151,306
  We know Mike doesn't have a vinyl setup yet.
Maybe he just waits until a Schiit ADC is ready and rolling.

Well, not intended as a personal attack, of course, but I just don't get what you're trying to say here. Mike began his work in audio industry in the analogue era, long before his milestone achievements on the digital side of audio things. He still enjoys his vinyl rig(s), as far as he said.  Such a fine piece of audio-gear as a Mani (according to those who own it, I don't - yet...) couldn't be designed by someone who has never listened to vinyl when vinyl was the ubiquitous medium.  This is a post of his, for example (but there are others somewhere else):

Still part time vinyl.  The best records are PFG.  So are the best digital sources and are much of the time those best of the best are mutually exclusive.  So why not enjoy it all??  Neither format needs to be the best.  This is not a race or a "shoot out".  If you can put up with the extra fuss of analog, why not have both?  It is best to remember that it is not an imperative.

Judging by our Mani vs. Modi2 sales, there is almost 20% of the interest of analog vs. digital.   In the under $150 source electronics, why not be 20% more accommodating?

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #19,117 of 151,306
  Now that's one I never thought of.
We know Mike doesn't have a vinyl setup yet.
Maybe he just waits until a Schiit ADC is ready and rolling.

I hear someone snoring.....
Oh, it's Constanza.

I like the idea of vinyl. Its the having to get up and turn over the record every 20 minutes or so that stops me.
Also no random playback on vinyl so I see why you would want to rip ASAP :)
My little brother has all my records now and he promises he will rip them every time I mention them.
So far no luck with that. Typical of little brothers I guess.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #19,119 of 151,306
  Wow, some of you guys need to switch to a decaffeinated brand. Stuff's done when it's done. 

And I'll have a new chapter for you tomorrow.

Ooops...did we get carried away ? Don't do decaffeinated anything...only Bergerac red wine and strong French coffee... Look forward to the next chapter

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #19,120 of 151,306

Well, not intended as a personal attack, of course, but I just don't get what you're trying to say here. Mike began his work in audio industry in the analogue era, long before his milestone achievements on the digital side of audio things. He still enjoys his vinyl rig(s), as far as he said.  Such a fine piece of audio-gear as a Mani (according to those who own it, I don't - yet...) couldn't be designed by someone who has never listened to vinyl when vinyl was the ubiquitous medium.  This is a post of his, for example (but there are others somewhere else):

I don't feel attacked.
A few days back someone asked him direct if he had his vinyl rig up and running already.
Mike's answer was that he hadn't come to that.
So if I reproduce a fabel here then I didn't interpret the answer god enough.
I will try to find this post en get it out here again.
So I'll come back to this. Give me a few. I will find it.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #19,122 of 151,306
I don't feel attacked.
A few days back someone asked him direct if he had his vinyl rig up and running already.

If I remember correctly that was about the Schiitr, not his personal system.

r2

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #19,124 of 151,306
  I don't feel attacked.

Glad you didn't take my post as an attack or an offense, 'cause it wasn't really my intention. Nor I do want to start a dispute.  I only found that that statement didn't fit in (in my opinion, of course) with what I seemed to understand from Baldr's posts.  That's all. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back