Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #19,021 of 150,893
50 watches?!?!

Sigh, another costly passion of mine. I hope one day to afford an Audemars Piguet..

No APs for me, but I do collect vintage Heuers.
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #19,022 of 150,893

I've got 30 million plus on TIDAL !! HA !!

For me, on-demand streaming music is a dream come true. I haven't purchased an album or track in quite some time.

Back in the day, if there was a recording you wanted to listen to, you pretty much had to go out and buy it. I collected 12 linear feet of LPs and over a thousand CDs. I acquired much of my collection for recordings I wanted to listen to, but not necessarily to own for repeated playback. On-demand streaming has changed the game.

For example, I have a lot of interest in the pianist Glenn Gould, and in the past couple of days I finally listened to some of his Beethoven sonatas. Gould's Beethoven is generally regarded to be a bit eccentric but I wanted to hear the interpretations by this musical genius. I'm thrilled to have access to this and many other recordings that I've been interested in listening to. Streaming has given me access to a huge library of music that I would not have pursued through purchases.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #19,023 of 150,893

For me, on-demand streaming music is a dream come true. I haven't purchased an album or track in quite some time.

Back in the day, if there was a recording you wanted to listen to, you pretty much had to go out and buy it. I collected 12 linear feet of LPs and over a thousand CDs. I acquired much of my collection for recordings I wanted to listen to, but not necessarily to own for repeated playback. On-demand streaming has changed the game.

For example, I have a lot of interest in the pianist Glenn Gould, and in the past couple of days I finally listened to some of his Beethoven sonatas. Gould's Beethoven is generally regarded to be a bit eccentric but I wanted to hear the interpretations by this musical genius. I'm thrilled to have access to this and many other recordings that I've been interested in listening to. Streaming has given me access to a huge library of music that I would not have pursued through purchases.

I mostly buy hi-res recordings that I really want...I haven't bought very many CD's in the last few years. TIDAL HiFi is very reasonable, although not all labels are covered.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #19,024 of 150,893
  Modest? Man you rock!
And indeed, its the music that's addicting.
There is so much beautiful music to listen to.
I like all ranges, all genres and all eras with the exception of country.
That's my bad, I know but it just doesn't sound right to me.
For me the music is the only reason to buy all this hardware schiit for.
And for being on this forum as a matter of fact.
I'm a 53 year old sock forced in retirement by bad health.
Still I know to learn much more from you all.

Man, you'd had it rough! Even though I'm a very lucky almost 65, music, both recorded and live, is not just entertainment for me but also essential therapy as the body wears down. I've been getting a lot more music in the last 6 weeks because I broke my right shoulder skiing in the mountains of Arctic Norway and I needed new sounds to keep me positive through the constant lack of sleep from pain while managing a demanding period at work. Speaking of all ranges and genres, let me recommend this gift now playing on my living room Yggy-based system. My ridiculous luck has included hearing several of the musicians live, playing some of those songs: Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz many times, and Jenny Scheinman just recently.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #19,025 of 150,893

Quote:
  Man, you'd had it rough! Even though I'm a very lucky almost 65, music, both recorded and live, is not just entertainment for me but also essential therapy as the body wears down. I've been getting a lot more music in the last 6 weeks because I broke my right shoulder skiing in the mountains of Arctic Norway and I needed new sounds to keep me positive through the constant lack of sleep from pain while managing a demanding period at work. Speaking of all ranges and genres, let me recommend this gift now playing on my living room Yggy-based system. My ridiculous luck has included hearing several of the musicians live, playing some of those songs: Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz many times, and Jenny Scheinman just recently.

There's always a silver lining......
smile.gif
 even when it might look like Schiit!

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #19,026 of 150,893
Apr 16, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #19,027 of 150,893
  Since we beez braggin'..

...I gots an olde  iPod wif songs on it and a couple a MicroSD cards wif MP3s on 'em fo' mah angloid phone.  I 'spose I don't gets to sits wif de cool pollywogs at they speshul lunch table tho'.  Gots me three o' dem grammyphones too.

I can not hear "formats" but I do listen to music.
wink.gif

The difference between formats is real, at least between low bit rate MP3s and a lossless format like AIFF. I will concede that I can't discern the differences between super high res formats like 24/96 and CD quality (16/44.1), but if preferring a format with much more of the original recording's information in it means that I "listen to a format" then so be it. Schiit's philosophy with digital audio is to retain as much of the original recording as possible, so it's logical that one would want to start with as much of the information from that original recording as they can.  As Jason has said many times, choice is good, and we should all be thankful that there is no audio commissar telling us what we have to buy or listen to.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #19,028 of 150,893

I have a modest library of 813 albums/9730 tracks all FLAC, also all legal and at the highest resolution that made sense to get. But there's something dangerous happening: I acquired an average of 6.82 tracks/day over the last 6 months, but 20.54 tracks/day last month! There's so much great music to listen to...

Modest? Man you rock!
And indeed, its the music that's addicting.
There is so much beautiful music to listen to.
I like all ranges, all genres and all eras with the exception of country.
That's my bad, I know but it just doesn't sound right to me.

Cozzi,
It seems that somehow we share the same approach in term of music, including the fact that we are not country music enthusiasts.
But there are always exceptions.
May I suggest you to listen to Yo Yo Ma's "the Goat Rodeo" album?
To my ears it is brilliant.
Ciao.
F.

Sorry to everyone for the off-topic.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #19,029 of 150,893
So, what about that 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' CD. Great stuff yes???

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #19,033 of 150,893
  I had subscribed to this thread thinking it would be about Schiit products. Seems I was mistaken.

It is, except when the Schiit cats are away actually putting Schiit together and the mice get a bit too playful.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #19,035 of 150,893
  ... And cameras?

Cameras?!!  My younger brother is an amateur photographer and former DJ and he tells me all the time that audiophiles (did that make you happier? LOL!) are not nearly as wacky as camera buffs.  

I am not a troll.  I am a toad.  Are you not an audio-journalist by trade/profession?  If so, that would explain it all...

I am glad your brother is an amateur photographer, though I suppose you would understand those of us who spent 40 years professionally in the industry probably view photography a little differently than even serious amateurs. Did he ever attend one of the Photo Marketing Association international conventions in Las Vegas? It was industry only (like CES, not open to the public), and in its day the second largest convention held in that city. Maybe he attended one of the Society of Photo Finishing Engineers Brainstorming Sessions they held where I was a panelist? 

Whether it is photography, audio, music, bicycling, fishing, or whatever, there are many ways to enjoy being involved. To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back