Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 21, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #16,621 of 150,531
  With all this Stereophile FB Yggy angst I'm glad no one seems to have read UK mag Hi-Fi World's review of the Modi MB and the accompanying article 
bigsmile_face.gif

example
"... the product is aimed at those that want the early CD sound, warts'n'all."

ph34r.gif

Oh, and he (the editor) thinks Yggy uses the same AD5547 dac 
blink.gif

Bliss 
wink.gif

Do you have a link to the review?

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #16,623 of 150,531

After consideration, will be keeping my TAS and Stereophool subs - if only because they give me something to read while having breakfast. Of course, every so often I read something so outrageous/ridiculous/ironic/amusing that I snort milk out my nose. But what's life without a bit of risk?

And has anyone else noticed how social media has just exploded the Snark Factor in society? Or what passes for society these days. See, even I'm not immune.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #16,625 of 150,531

Cervantes​' phrase "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" actually means something similar to "This is the exception that proves the rule."  It really is a misuse of the phrase to use it implying that something is being shown or "proven" through use.  Sorry for the tangent...

(If we can handle a small bit of off-topic semantics.)

That's not the way I've always understood it. "Prove" is a now largely archaic verb equivalent to "test", and in medieval times pudding wasn't a smooth & tasty dessert, it was a collage of meat byproducts, sometimes in a casing ... more akin to a haggis or a really low-rent sausage. (edit: Probably cooked into a semi-gelatinous mass.)

So a modern translation of the phrase would be "It's not the ingredients, it's the taste that counts."

Or ... coming back on-topic to the World's Most Improbable Start-up ...  "It's not the component parts (or even the measurements), it's the Sound Quality that ultimately counts."

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #16,628 of 150,531
  Mike and Jason have saved me a ton of money on audio gear....and in turn the will get more of my money than any other audio company.

​I've been doing that since I discovered their site and got an original Lyr. I read about their end game dac back then and waited. Honestly, I have used red book CD's I've purchased for 3 or 4 bucks on Amazon that sounds better than some of my 24 bit downloads thanks to Multibit. To think I've rebuilt my systems with Schiit. I've said it before, this is a golden opportunity for people to get into 2 channel. Keep up the great work Mike and Jason, and another thank you. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #16,630 of 150,531
  I just noticed that the next review (page 124) after the Yggdrasil is for a set of monoblock amps that retail for $99,000 a pair. In all fairness, the very thick, CNC milled aluminum casework is very attractive. I'm certain that Stereophile tries to review a good bit of reasonably priced gear as well, but far too often (for my taste/budget) I see components for over $20K or speakers costing as much as $200K. 

It's not just a question of audio budget. However much one can afford for audio, everything else, from the recording quality to the room to one's aging ears puts constrains on what we can hear. Having gone through a major upgrade to my living room 2-channel system when we moved to a bigger house, and having listened to a lot of audio gear along the way, I simply don't think that I (or my sharper-eared and way more musical wife) could gain any benefit beyond Yggy-including system we are so much enjoying (as a complement to our many visits to live-music venues) that cost considerably less than the annual property taxes on our Silly Valley house. As for milled aluminum aesthetics, I put it down there with gold-plated faucets, 'nuf said.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #16,631 of 150,531
   a set of monoblock amps that retail for $99,000 a pair. ... I see components for over $20K or speakers costing as much as $200K.

I scored a pair of monoblocks from eBay for $600.  I showed wifey that article and said it was my next upgrade.  The look! :wink:

Then TAS got a sneak peak at the latest frankenspeakers from Wilson.  $685,000 a pair.  I'd rather a super car for that kind of money, not that either are (is?) in my future.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #16,632 of 150,531
Regarding Measurements:

Paul McGowan, one the co-founders of PS Audio sends out a daily email with thoughts about audio design, often quite interesting. This morning he shared this little tidbit regarding distortion measurements in audio design:

Here’s the thing about THD distortion. It mostly doesn’t matter. Even relatively high levels of THD are not recognized by the ear.
The impacts of what amp designers do to lower it are far more noticeable than the added harmonics themselves.
And loudspeakers make orders of magnitudes more THD than amplifiers.
Factoid: the next time you see higher levels of THD listed on an equipment spec be attracted rather than repulsed. Higher levels of measured THD often signal a better sounding design than the opposite. (Not because they are higher, but because the design is likely more musical).
Measurements that do matter are mostly not mentioned: TIM (Transient Intermodulation Distortion), slew rate, or open loop stability are examples.
One measurement often included, but not understood, does matter. IM. Intermodulation distortion is quite noticeable to the ear and is often the red-haired stepchild, mentioned but not angst over.

In one of his emails within the past year or so, Paul gave credit to Baldr for, many years ago, turning him on to better speaker cables than simple zip cord. Paul said the demonstration changed his thinking, and therefore, his whole audio worldview.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #16,633 of 150,531
I'm thinking of buying a pair of Vidars when they come out to replace my dyeing power amp. In order to bridge them I need a single ended to balanced transformer. I understand what it does, but can't seem to decipher the on line descriptions in order to know which one to get. Could someone please point me to units that will do this?

Thanks
Ray

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #16,634 of 150,531
  Regarding Measurements:

Paul McGowan, one the co-founders of PS Audio sends out a daily email with thoughts about audio design, often quite interesting. This morning he shared this little tidbit regarding distortion measurements in audio design:

In one of his emails within the past year or so, Paul gave credit to Baldr for, many years ago, turning him on to better speaker cables than simple zip cord. Paul said the demonstration changed his thinking, and therefore, his whole audio worldview.

McGowan's IM comments are on the money as far as my ears are concerned. Especially with HP's, a tiny full range transducer trying to reproduce a symphony orchestra (especially of the Late Romantic makeup going full out) and keeping things from getting congested, blurred, and distorted from top to bottom of the frequency range. I believe that is an IM problem, not one of HD content.

One could easily measure the weight of a full, family sized plastic bottle of shampoo to compare it with the claimed weight listed on the bottle. That will not tell you how that bottle will feel if it slips out of your hand and lands in the center of your bare foot while your showering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back