Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #16,396 of 150,084

The bass that your sub wants generally speaking should be the same in both channels.

While this might be mostly true for LFE channels for movies, it's not necessarily true for music.

I have albums with bass, drums, etc, more in one channel than the other and I've certainly mixed recordings that way, too.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #16,397 of 150,084
  Some good news, some bad news. 

The good news: the stamped steel clip approach for Vidar is feasible, and I'll be getting the order in tomorrow. 

The not so good news: with 6 weeks for tooling and 6 weeks for initial order, we're past the end of Q1 for delivery. 

Ah well, I'd rather do this right. And in the meantime, we can shake down everything else (I still need to test the sorbothane suspension system for the transformer, in any case.)

Everything happens when it is supposed to happen. Thanks for rolling with the punches. My credit card actually thanks you for the delay. 
darthsmile.gif

Totally cool that you are going to give other aspects of the design the once over. As a consumer, I thank you for your transparency and for not giving to false timetables.  

Happy Freya and Saga owner. Soon probably a Mani.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #16,398 of 150,084
  The brutal, blunt reality: while I'm sure we will look into what happened with Stereophile, we have a lot of other, more important things to do. I've written many times about how hard it is to get meaningful, repeatable measurements. This is with thousands of hours of dev time on a Stanford. We could get the Yggy back and it might be fine. But, like other audio nervosa stuff, I'm not going to worry about it.

After all, if you want a DAC with lower distortion and a lot more measurement-boner-inducing specs, save $2150 and get a Modi 2 Uber. Or you can pick something that sounds great to you, regardless of specs. Which might be an M2U anyway.

Love it!

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #16,399 of 150,084
  Everything happens when it is supposed to happen. Thanks for rolling with the punches. My credit card actually thanks you for the delay. 
darthsmile.gif

Totally cool that you are going to give other aspects of the design the once over. As a consumer, I thank you for your transparency and for not giving to false timetables.  

Happy Freya and Saga owner. Soon probably a Mani.

In the engineering world, Murphy's law reigns supreme.[Look it up if you are not conversant in this law and its many corollaries]. This is all a part of an iterative process of Product Engineering, i.e., I built one, but building xxx is impossible without $$$$ expended. That is production/producibilty engineering, a skill  not highly regarded in the USA, but critical to the success of a product.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #16,400 of 150,084

In the engineering world, Murphy's law reigns supreme.[Look it up if you are not conversant in this law and its many corollaries]. This is all a part of an iterative process of Product Engineering, i.e., I built one, but building xxx is impossible without $$$$ expended. That is production/producibilty engineering, a skill  not highly regarded in the USA, but critical to the success of a product.

What drives me mad is high end audio companies that introduce new products on a schedule..oh say, two weeks before CES or Munich, to make their dealers happy and to move boxes, even with major flaws, then they "fix" it with MK II designations etc.

I have seen already THREE major products this year where there was an XYZ II out less within 6 months of the XYZ I being released. 

Note to industry: Some of us are not THAT stupid. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #16,401 of 150,084
  The brutal, blunt reality: while I'm sure we will look into what happened with Stereophile, we have a lot of other, more important things to do. I've written many times about how hard it is to get meaningful, repeatable measurements. This is with thousands of hours of dev time on a Stanford. We could get the Yggy back and it might be fine. But, like other audio nervosa stuff, I'm not going to worry about it.

After all, if you want a DAC with lower distortion and a lot more measurement-boner-inducing specs, save $2150 and get a Modi 2 Uber. Or you can pick something that sounds great to you, regardless of specs. Which might be an M2U anyway.

You can bet we will, within our system of priorities.  This is of course if and when the unit is returned.  Our clients are far more worldly and sophisticated today; they do not rely on just a magazine or two to shape how they should think.  I am sanguine, perhaps because it is possible to move "objective tests" into a suggestive/subjective sphere by commenting negatively on a portion of the measurement and suggesting an uninformed engineering solution.  An informed reader would never form his opinion solely from anyone whose living is dependent on the result of such measurements, including ourselves.  Fortunately, there exist such measurements on this forum.  That said, it is entirely possible that there could be something wrong with the mentioned Yggy.  Until we have it back, we can only speculate.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 17, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #16,402 of 150,084

You can bet we will, within our system of priorities.  This is of course if and when the unit is returned.  Our clients are far more worldly and sophisticated today; they do not rely on just a magazine or two to shape how they should think.  I am sanguine, perhaps because it is possible to move "objective tests" into a suggestive/subjective sphere by commenting negatively on a portion of the measurement and suggesting an uninformed engineering solution.  An informed reader would never form his opinion solely from anyone whose living is dependent on the result of such measurements, including ourselves.  Fortunately, there exist such measurements on this forum.  That said, it is entirely possible that there could be something wrong with the mentioned Yggy.  Until we have it back, we can only speculate.

Why would there be an "If" it is returned...do Stereophile writers get to keep loaned review samples?

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #16,403 of 150,084
  Why would there be an "If" it is returned...do Stereophile writers get to keep loaned review samples?

Equipment is not sent with the proviso that it is anything other than a loan.  In practice, when the equipment is shared by a group of reviewers who may live thousands of miles apart, the equipment is generally gone for quite a while, some times so long that the unit is obsolete when it returns.  The perk for the manufacturers is the equipment is mentioned in reviews of other equipment.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #16,404 of 150,084
  Equipment is not sent with the proviso that it is anything other than a loan.  In practice, when the equipment is shared by a group of reviewers who may live thousands of miles apart, the equipment is generally gone for quite a while, some times so long that the unit is obsolete when it returns.  The perk for the manufacturers is the equipment is mentioned in reviews of other equipment.

Understood. Reichert claims to have had Yggy unit for a year. That seems excessive.

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #16,407 of 150,084
Baldr is being fair and open to all possibilities.  He's never going to know what happened until he sees the unit.  I would hardly expect him to trash Stereophile for what was otherwise a fair and positive review.  It's a plus that they reviewed the Yggy.  They were probably honestly curious what it could do and they concluded it could do plenty.

I am struck, however, that Mike entertains the possibility that something could be wrong with the unit that resulted in screwy measurements but near perfect output.  
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #16,408 of 150,084
  Baldr is being fair and open to all possibilities.  He's never going to know what happened until he sees the unit.  I would hardly expect him to trash Stereophile for what was otherwise a fair and positive review.  It's a plus that they reviewed the Yggy.  They were probably honestly curious what it could do and they concluded it could do plenty.

I am struck, however, that Mike entertains the possibility that something could be wrong with the unit that resulted in screwy measurements but near perfect output.  
wink_face.gif

Well consider the fact the reviewer had the unit for a year. Who knows what he did with it during that time frame. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #16,410 of 150,084
I am waiting for the firestorm that will happen when the review is put online.

And every time I read it I notice a little more; e.g. JA changed the scale of the measurements because the Yggy far exceeded the scale he normally uses.  He said something along the lines of his equipment not being able to measure as low as the Yggy goes, or something. 

Really, congrats to Schiit for a quite positive review in the heartland of the opposition, JA's grumbling not withstanding.  They should really let the Yggy warm up before they measure it though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back