Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #150,346 of 152,214
Sure, but even though it's the same parent company, it's wrongheaded to equate an ancient, primitive, and poorly-supported product from one sub-brand with a different, recent, and exceptionally well-supported product from another. Given the attention and effort I've seen from WiiM's development and customer service teams, I don't know that I've witnessed a company more focused on after-sales support in the CE area, where the prevailing attitude all too often seems to be, "We have their money, so **** the consumer."
I’ve emailed Wiim on several occasions with feature suggestions or requests, and in most cases their response has been “thanks for contacting us, that feature has actually just been added!” The commitment to regular software / firmware updates is truly staggering.

May 3, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #150,347 of 152,214
Trying to decide. Hello all, I am looking to upgrade a Bifrost 2. Can anyone recommend a version of Yggdrasil that they upgraded from the 2?
What are the differences between the Analog 1 boards and Analog 2? What about the LIM?
I will be using the Yggy in a nearfield setup with a Rag2 and Kef LS50 Meta with KC Sub.
Thank you for any help for this type of setup
It's another long read, but lots of good info in the Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread

The first two revisions of the Yggy used AD (Analog Devices) chips similar to what Bifrost 2 used (discrete analog output stage)
- rev 1 is the OG A1 board <-- Great bang for buck from the current Yggy+ GS2 deal on Schiit's website
- rev 2 is the OG A2 board

Subsequent revisions of the Yggy have been TI (Texas Instruments) based DAC chips (Op amp based output stage)
- LIM (Less is More) - same DAC chips as used by the Bifrost 2/64
- MIL (More is Less - no longer available)
- MIB (More is Better)

LIM and MIB are the current lineup of available Yggy+ DACs

For the money, and for a profile that is similar to Bifrost 2, but much more engaging/resolving/detailed I'd go for the Yggy+ GS2 (which I did, and I love)
:beerchug:

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #150,348 of 152,214
First thanks to all for all the info; I think it’s penetrating this thick old boomer skull…
1. I could do the build Rasp. Pi thing, but I do not want a computer in my living/listening room. I deal with software almost 24x7 now, and don’t want anymore - LOL
In reality, the Pi solution is 99% set it and forget it. I haven't touched my RooExtend Pi endpoint in months. Same with the SoTM. But these are strictly endpoints, not servers. But I understand your point.
2. My CD collection isn’t sufficiently large that I feel the need to spend all that time ripping them, and then if/when I did (see #1 above) I don’t want to have another “server” environment to maintain.
The Pi is the endpoint, if you don't want to mess with a server, I can understand that too. For streaming, Qobuz uses chromecast or Airplay. You'd just use that option from the app on your phone, tablet, etc.. I know Tidal has Tidal connect, but I'm unfamiliar with Tidal. Amazon music IIRC is Chromecast or Airplay. Apple Music is the same.
3. Sounds like given that I have NO ripped/stored media of my own I wouldn’t need Roon. (Does Roon work with ripped content if the source happened to be LP? Because THAT might be something I could get into (having 2000 LPs). Never bothered to digitize them (I have the zPhono USB) as never had the time. THAT might be worth having a private music server!
4. I can easily run Ethernet cable from my router to the cabinet with my other gear
Roon would work, but not well for this application. You'd have to rip the albums and tag them for Roon to work well. That would be an extreme labor of love.
5. I prefer as close to small, quality, “just a box/appliance” as possible, so the Ifi looks quite attractive in that regard

So a streaming device (like he SoTM Neo or Ifi Zen) + a subscription to a service (e.g. Qobuz or other) - is that literally all I need? I want something I can easily teach my techno-phobic-ignorant wife about; I don’t want yet another “system” I have to “maintain”…. If any of that makes sense?
Yes, that's all you need. Preferably choose a streamer that can be used directly from the Qobuz or Tidal app.

I can't give enough praise to the SoTM Neo200. The darn thing just works. I use mine with a $25 WiFi adapter, but have used the Ethernet as well.

May 3, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #150,349 of 152,214
May 3, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #150,351 of 152,214
That's why God made the state of Washington. Of course, evidently even God can't do anything about the loonie.
Actually, once I pay 10% Washington sales tax, and then PST (7%) and GST (5%) on the full US tax amount it is only $30 difference (of which an hour - 2 hours drive / line up and gas...

This is part of the reason I have not bothered going to Washington State since December 2019...

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #150,352 of 152,214
That's why God made the state of Washington. Of course, evidently even God can't do anything about the loonie.

Maybe God can't but the state of Washington can. They now have a tax in place for all pickups by Canadians.

JC

May 3, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #150,353 of 152,214
For me the price of the GS2 was the deciding factor. Zero regrets. No desire to try other Yggy flavors. Huge improvement is sound quality vs my Bifrost 2/64 (which is a great DAC in its own right)
Absolutely!
You caught/quoted my post mid-edit, but I did get to the same conclusion as you :)

May 3, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #150,354 of 152,214
My current wife and I will celebrate 30 years together this July 4. Even though you've been with someone for a long time you sometimes learn new things about them. Yesterday we were driving home from an appointment, and I had the car's Sirius XM radio tuned to the Classic Vinyl channel. Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" started. Oooh, I said, I love this song, and commenced singing along. Now please don't think I can match Freddy Mercury because I can't, but I remembered every word and sang it all the way through while we drove across town. As I finished "Nothing really matters to me" at the end, I noticed my wife was just staring at me. "What," I asked, "was I that bad?" "No," she said, "I am just surprised you knew that song. I've never heard it before."

!!! WHAT??!!! Never heard it before?? You been living under a rock since 1975? It's only one of the most famous songs in rock music history!!

So what I learned is not only has my wife paid attention to different music than I have, but she also does not like being insulted. :)

May 3, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #150,355 of 152,214
My streamer totally does NOT suck, but it was not inexpensive. Having owned devices from the vendor for eight years, I watched their iOS software integration evolve to become seamless and fun to use. I think that the "you get what you pay for" adage fits here...

The recent hardware upgrade raised my Qobuz Studio streaming experience from great to sublime. More processing power in the box, and a much better power supply made a huge difference in the sound quality. It's nearly indescribable in any words that I could type at this moment, so I'll leave it at that.

I am sure that one could get a similar experience by spending less money, but I had the luxury of comparing the new streamer to my existing G1 model thanks to the vendor's trade-in program. I decided that I didn't want to build something that I'd have to futz with or maintain. I just want to listen to the music. <g> YMMV, of course.
Ok you found a streamer where only the prices sucks, what is it? I want to try it.

May 3, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #150,356 of 152,214
Maybe God can't but the state of Washington can. They now have a tax in place for all pickups by Canadians.

JC
Adding insult to injury. Which I guess is why God made Oregon as a backup plan. So long as Washington refrains from doing cavity searches on drivers with Canadian plates heading north, looking for contraband tube smugglers.

May 3, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #150,358 of 152,214
Trying to decide. Hello all, I am looking to upgrade a Bifrost 2. Can anyone recommend a version of Yggdrasil that they upgraded from the 2?

What are the differences between the Analog 1 boards and Analog 2? What about the LIM?

I will be using the Yggy in a nearfield setup with a Rag2 and Kef LS50 Meta with KC Sub.

Thank you for any help for this type of setup
I started with Yggy GS with Analog 1 and converted to the now discontinued Analog 2 OG. The former sounded great but the latter added a bit of warmth and perhaps better overall balance to the sound. I could’ve easily lived with the A1 but fomo got the best of me when I had the money. I have no regrets. Thankfully I have no further fomo for other Yggy variants. All of that being said, go for Yggy GS while you can!

May 3, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #150,359 of 152,214
Dayyum, that is some righteousness right there. The furthest up Bruichladdich's line I've gotten to try is some Octomore which was overpowered in the best way. I long to try a Black Art. Not a beg, mind you.

I had a couple drams of the Octomore 6.3 earlier this week and I can't get the memory out of my head. Like a punch in the mouth with smoke. Tasty smoke that makes you want more. Exquisite!

May 3, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #150,360 of 152,214
Sounds like Auralic
This sounds like Auralic. Kinda.

L76x.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back