Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,276 of 1,697
If it's light popping/cracking I'm thinking it's some sort of EMI instead of the async usb implementation.  I have heard very minor amounts of artifacting when my phone was nearby.  Maybe you're located in a much noisier area.  In that case, that really sucks.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #1,277 of 1,697
  If it's light popping/cracking I'm thinking it's some sort of EMI instead of the async usb implementation.  I have heard very minor amounts of artifacting when my phone was nearby.  Maybe you're located in a much noisier area.  In that case, that really sucks.

No its not that either, I've never had issues with any other products before and I have plenty of audio products in my house and everything else works flawlessly.
its just the fulla2, and from the reviews on not only this but other Schiit products their USB interface seems to be a known issue overall.

Its either just poorly done or the chip they chose sucks. Schiit themselves recommend you to connect your DAC to the computer using something other than USB so they must also know this otherwise they wouldn't care.

In trying the USB 2 side of my laptop its much worse than the USB3 side of it. The popping hapens alot more frequently although its not as loud, it happens every few seconds with the max time in testing going about 30 seconds to as low as 1 second with an average of around 9 seconds.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #1,278 of 1,697
That's really odd.  I have a plethora of computers and haven't had any issue like that even though I've had 3 Fullas pass through my hands now.  One's a custom built desktop with an i5-3570k.  Laptops consist of a Dell XPS 13 9350, an old Lenovo Y560P, and two cheap acer 5750s.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #1,279 of 1,697
  That's really odd.  I have a plethora of computers and haven't had any issue like that even though I've had 3 Fullas pass through my hands now.  One's a custom built desktop with an i5-3570k.  Laptops consist of a Dell XPS 13 9350, an old Lenovo Y560P, and two cheap acer 5750s.

Well this is a 17" HP i7 2630QM, my other laptop is an XPS13 9550 i7 flagship.

Both are not cheap machines.

I could try it on my desktop too but in reality that means nothing to me because if it won't work with my laptops I don't need it.

I tried to install the Schiit drivers and it doesn't pick up the Fulla 2 when I connect it, so I guess those drivers don't apply to the Fulla2. They must have set the ID differently despite using a Cmedia chip.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #1,280 of 1,697
Huh that's interesting. We both have skylake dells. How do you have your audio setup? Are you just using the windows sound mixer or wasapi through foobar or something else?

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,282 of 1,697
Device Power on gives a pop into headphones on my Magni, Vali2 and Fulla 2

Must be one of their design choices to excite you a bit before you start enjoying your tunes 
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,283 of 1,697
I did a quick search of this thread (not a full read) but didn't come up with the answer to this. So I tried it myself, and got an answer, and now I'm posting it!

It's very easy to power a Fulla 2 with a OnePlus 3, using a USB Type-C adapter, and a standard usb/micro cable. My assumption is that it has to do with the power delivery capacity of Type-C, so I'm betting most Type-C phones will be able to do it. I don't have an a/b setup, but from manually switching between my computer and my phone (using Spotify as a source on both) the levels and quality seem to match pretty closely.

It's possible that there's a power deficiency when powered by my phone, but I haven't hit it yet.

I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver a Type-C-to-microUSB OTG cable, but once they do I'll update this. 

My biggest cans are only 50 ohms (Monolith M1060) but they get plenty loud, and the sound is pretty good. They are open, and in a quiet room I listen at around... 10-11:00? 2:00ish for really fun songs.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,284 of 1,697
I need to double check but if I remember correctly my HTC One M9 also powered the Fulla 2 just fine with a micro to micro cable.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,285 of 1,697
  I did a quick search of this thread (not a full read) but didn't come up with the answer to this. So I tried it myself, and got an answer, and now I'm posting it!

It's very easy to power a Fulla 2 with a OnePlus 3, using a USB Type-C adapter, and a standard usb/micro cable. My assumption is that it has to do with the power delivery capacity of Type-C, so I'm betting most Type-C phones will be able to do it. I don't have an a/b setup, but from manually switching between my computer and my phone (using Spotify as a source on both) the levels and quality seem to match pretty closely.

It's possible that there's a power deficiency when powered by my phone, but I haven't hit it yet.

I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver a Type-C-to-microUSB OTG cable, but once they do I'll update this. 

My biggest cans are only 50 ohms (Monolith M1060) but they get plenty loud, and the sound is pretty good. They are open, and in a quiet room I listen at around... 10-11:00? 2:00ish for really fun songs.

Maybe I don't understand your issue, but I don't believe you need OTG implementation if your phone has USB-C. I use a simple Cable Matters USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Mini B (Mini USB) to connect my Fiio E17 to my Pixel.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,286 of 1,697
I bought this baby while at Canjam Singapore since it was going on a discount. Mainly going to use it for my bedside rig, portable demo source (since it can be powered by a power bank and my source can be my USB C phone), and maybe for overseas use too.

Now to source a case with foam insert for carrying this and the power bank out. I had one for the M9XX and I'm going for a similar, albeit smaller look for the Fulla 2.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,287 of 1,697
Let us know if you find a suitable case. I want to bring my Fulla 2 around but the protruding pot/knob makes me a bit worried.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,289 of 1,697
I found this one from Amazonbasic for GoPro camera: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Carrying-Case-GoPro-Small/dp/B01CTHWTQE?th=1

I have the small version for the M9XX and dimension wise, this seem perfect for a Fulla 2 and a power bank.

I found this on Aliexpress for half of Amazon's price, and found a water resistant version on Taobao for half of that again.

Now to find a suitable power bank that can fit inside. Maybe my Xiaomi 5000mAh will be just nice.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #1,290 of 1,697
Huh that's interesting. We both have skylake dells. How do you have your audio setup? Are you just using the windows sound mixer or wasapi through foobar or something else?

I'm using Equalify though Spotify. I have also used Amazon music.

Today is the Fulla2's last chance, I will be using it with my desktop for some hours of development work.

The reality is that if it doesn't work right with the laptops its already quite useless to me but I want to find an excuse to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back