Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,156 of 1,697

Interesting since I was also considering the D1 before purchasing the Fulla 2. I ultimately chose the Fulla 2 since it requires no extra adapters for my headphones and speakers. The cheaper price was another added bonus.

I bought the Fulla 2 looking for more power since Audioengine is about as vague as possible on the mW output of the D1 and if I was really into a track I could max the D1 with my HE-400i's. I'm finding the Fulla 2 can get louder as expected but the bass...

The D1 immediately impressed me by how full the sound was on first listen. The Fulla 2 on the other hand is much brighter. This isn't a "bass by the numbers" difference like bass'y cans vs treble'y cans. It's every appreciable meaning of the word bass. Speed, extension, control, presence, decay, sub-bass... 

After all of that I'm still not saying the Fulla 2 is bad ha ha. Once I listen more though I'm the type to call "better" better so we shall see how they compete when my ears have adjusted to what the Fulla 2 is. I can't judge it fairly yet because my ears are in "competition mode" and I'm willing to acknowledge that.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,157 of 1,697

It took about 2 months of daily use for my 2nd Fulla 2 before it started making Pot Noise. I replaced the 1st one for being noisy since day 1 and I did not try to adjust or force center the knob. Both were well centered, however I used the 2nd for long period of time, everyday, constantly adjusting the volume on the Fulla 2 since all songs are not recorded the same way.
Jason (Schiit Audio) offered to look at it before "swapping it", however I felt a level of no trust on the "we need to look at it before any solution." However I contacted Schiit and received same answer. Looks like its their norm, not to trust people that buy their products.  I am sorry, but I did not steal anything nor I am trying to take advantage of anyone. Its not my fault the "product" I got from them has a flaw. I dont think I am dealing with Schiit anymore....

I think you're misconstruing their motives.   I *know* you've never worked in customer  support, because there is a level of "bullschiit noise" that you have to wade through where some people will never be satisfied no matter what.

I know.  I used to be one of those people.

But, let them take a look.  Be sure to fill out all the info in your RMA request, including the headphones.  If you have really sensitive cans with really discerning ears, you might hear something that I don't hear on my not-so-sensitive Sennheisers.  (That also goes for the volume imbalance problem at low gain.)

I know that I have felt that Nick was giving me crap when I had an issue with one of my devices.  So, I followed up with a log file from my machine where it had failed, repeatable, data that I could hand to him, and say, this is not normal.  Once I had showed that to him, he was speedy and thorough.

The worst that could happen is that they say, sorry, that's normal.   It's not the end of the world.  If  you do nothing, you'd be in that same place.

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,158 of 1,697
I think I am keeping my Fulla2 because I couldn't find the order # for the RMA.  Oh, well.

I like the suggestion above about using the line out.  But I also wanted to ask, in general, what headphones mates best with the Fulla2?  In particular, I want the volume knob to have some real play rather than staying between 6 and 8 o'clock.

So, what headphones work best with that volume knob given that I never listen softer than about 40dB or louder than about 85dB?

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #1,159 of 1,697
  I think I am keeping my Fulla2 because I couldn't find the order # for the RMA.  Oh, well.

I like the suggestion above about using the line out.  But I also wanted to ask, in general, what headphones mates best with the Fulla2?  In particular, I want the volume knob to have some real play rather than staying between 6 and 8 o'clock.

So, what headphones work best with that volume knob given that I never listen softer than about 40dB or louder than about 85dB?

Moderately hard to drive headphones like K7XX would let you take the Volume ~8 o'clock, or even higher if you listen loud

K7XX sounds good with Fulla 2

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #1,160 of 1,697
  Hey Fulla 2 people - I’m just checking on this volume control noise issue.  It’s my understanding that some Fulla 2’s out there do not have the scratchy volume noise, correct?

I’m on my second Fulla 2 and although the low level imbalance is better than it was with my first one, the scratchy noise developed over a few days of use, just like the first one did.  So if there are Fulla 2’s out there without this issue (examples that have been in use for at least a few days) , then I’ll send back the second one for a third.  

The imbalance isn’t a problem, it happens with my Magni 2 (not with my Jotunheim) - but the scratchiness should not happen.  There’s a workaround for the imbalance, but the noise is always there...

Thanks for any info!

I'll let you know when mine comes in!

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,162 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 arrived today and here are some initial observations/impressions:

1.) There is speaker imbalance only when the volume knob is set to almost as low as it can go. That said, this is not an issue for me because it is extremely quiet and I'd never listen to anything that quietly anyways. 

2.) There is no "scratching" pot noise when adjusting the volume knob. I hear a slight "whooshing" noise but only when adjusting the knob quickly and not playing any music or other sounds. Definitely not as severe for me as others have reported. What I am doing currently is setting the knob on the Fulla 2 to the 12 o'clock position and adjusting volume from my keyboard/Windows itself. It is simply more convenient this way for me and avoids the dreaded "scratching/whooshing" sound.

3.) The volume knob itself is definitely crooked like many others have reported. I am refraining from bending it straight per Schiit's advice to avoid damaging the pot.

4.) No need to modify my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker set's 3.5mm plug to fit into the rear output jack. 

5.) No audible USB noise on my computer when using the single USB cable for power and data. Also, no difference in sound quality or volume levels when using a USB charger for power.

6.) Based on the little bit of Tidal listening I've done so far, I am having a hard time distinguishing the difference (if any) in sound quality between my old X-Fi sound card with all software enabled "enhancements" disabled and the Fulla 2. I don't feel that I've lost or gained anything noticeable in that department. To me, both the X-Fi and Fulla 2 produce ear candy when listening to Tidal Hi-Fi music with my HD598.

7.) Both the X-Fi and Fulla 2 can drive my HD598 headphones to painfully loud volume levels, so no real loss or gain that department either. 

So far I am happy with the Fulla 2. I'm still giving it a few days to decide if I want to retire my X-Fi once and for all.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,163 of 1,697
  My Fulla 2 arrived today and here are some initial observations/impressions:

1.) There is speaker imbalance only when the volume knob is set to almost as low as it can go. That said, this is not an issue for me because it is extremely quiet and I'd never listen to anything that quietly anyways. 

2.) There is no "scratching" pot noise when adjusting the volume knob. I hear a slight "whooshing" noise but only when adjusting the knob quickly and not playing any music or other sounds. Definitely not as severe for me as others have reported. What I am doing currently is setting the knob on the Fulla 2 to the 12 o'clock position and adjusting volume from my keyboard/Windows itself. It is simply more convenient this way for me and avoids the dreaded "scratching/whooshing" sound.

3.) The volume knob itself is definitely crooked like many others have reported. I am refraining from bending it straight per Schiit's advice to avoid damaging the pot.

4.) No need to modify my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker set's 3.5mm plug to fit into the rear output jack. 

5.) No audible USB noise on my computer when using the single USB cable for power and data. Also, no difference in sound quality or volume levels when using a USB charger for power.

6.) Based on the little bit of Tidal listening I've done so far, I am having a hard time distinguishing the difference (if any) in sound quality between my old X-Fi sound card with all software enabled "enhancements" disabled and the Fulla 2. I don't feel that I've lost or gained anything noticeable in that department. To me, both the X-Fi and Fulla 2 produce ear candy when listening to Tidal Hi-Fi music with my HD598.

7.) Both the X-Fi and Fulla 2 can drive my HD598 headphones to painfully loud volume levels, so no real loss or gain that department either. 

So far I am happy with the Fulla 2. I'm still giving it a few days to decide if I want to retire my X-Fi once and for all.

Nice observations, unfortunately USPS decided to just not deliver mine today even though it was supposedly out for delivery.
I hope they come early tomorrow and not at night because I will be seeing Lang Lang and not be back until real late.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,164 of 1,697

Nice observations, unfortunately USPS decided to just not deliver mine today even though it was supposedly out for delivery.
I hope they come early tomorrow and not at night because I will be seeing Lang Lang and not be back until real late.

I hope you got your little piece of Schiit in time today!

I was looking pretty hard for flaws yesterday and really wasn't able to find anything negative with my usage. This little DAC/amp really does pump out some seriously enjoyable sound with my HD598. Granted, this is my first external DAC/amp so I don't have much else to compare to here. Even if I do decide to buy a bigger, badder DAC/amp, I don't see myself getting rid of my Fulla 2. It will be a great piece of kit to take on the road if nothing else.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #1,165 of 1,697

I hope you got your little piece of Schiit in time today!

I was looking pretty hard for flaws yesterday and really wasn't able to find anything negative with my usage. This little DAC/amp really does pump out some seriously enjoyable sound with my HD598. Granted, this is my first external DAC/amp so I don't have much else to compare to here. Even if I do decide to buy a bigger, badder DAC/amp, I don't see myself getting rid of my Fulla 2. It will be a great piece of kit to take on the road if nothing else.

Thanks!
Its out for delivery now so I should get it sometime today, unfortunately I'm about to leave for the rest of the day so maybe tonight late I'll get a chance to play with it.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,167 of 1,697
Schiit's own website lists the Modi 2 and the Fulla 2 dac chips already, which most know to be the AKM AK4490.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,169 of 1,697
I found the Fulla 2 a tad bit thin, especially on my HD 6XX and T50RPs.  I guess the extra power makes the sound a bit fuller.  Most notably on the HD 6XX, which gets cleaner and tighter bass.

Please note that while I say these things, I still find differences between various dacs and amps very small.  The Fulla 2 still outputs great sound.  It's a good option if you want to clean up your computer's onboard audio with a dedicated solution or want the various features of the Fulla 2.

My replacement Fulla 2 arrives on monday.  I've been listening with onboard->magni 2 for half a week and it sounds extremely good to my ears as well.  Maybe a tiny bit less crisp, but that's it.

Basically: Headphones >>>>> amp > dac when it comes to upgrades.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #1,170 of 1,697
Lol. Thanks. I'm similar in that I'm starting to think the amplification stage plays a bigger role, but I hear differences in DACs to be sure. I was wondering if it "filled in" the sound like you said. With my 400i's it's a bit thinner than I'd like at the moment. It sounds better with my dynamic phones to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back