Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #901 of 1,697
  I was so excited to get my Fulla 2.  it arrived to but was defective 
frown.gif
.  the 1/4 inch works ok, it has some static but only sometimes so I was at least able to try it.  the 3.5 jack does not work at all, as I pull the cable out I do get mono but nothing while seated properly.   I have read a good number of reviews and even saw some YouTube videos of defective Fulla's how common is this?  I really liked their business model (USA and Build Quality, no nonsense approach) but I don't want to spend 100 (or way more) and have it fail later.

So it seems there are a fair number of defective units, but if i get a new one and it works how many see failures later?  15 day return is pretty small

What 3.5mm jack are you talking about?

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #904 of 1,697
  You realize that's an input not a headphone out.

well schiit, that is embarrassing... but still getting a lot of static and noise in the "real" port so any noob advice for me there...  (guess I should have read the instructions) 

I am getting a pulsing and static and I have tried different power, 2nd cable and different source.  its not constant but often

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #905 of 1,697
  well schiit, that is embarrassing... but still getting a lot of static and noise in the "real" port so any noob advice for me there...  (guess I should have read the instructions) 

I am getting a pulsing and static and I have tried different power, 2nd cable and different source.  its not constant but often

Try setting your phone and other devices you might have near your computer to airplane more, when I tried my headphones with a friend's portable amp, it caused static in the right channel when my phone wasn't on airplane mode. If that doesn't work I would suggest contacting Schiit support. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #906 of 1,697
Just received my Fulla 2 today. I ran my B&W P5 series 1 without issues (no surprise there). And now I'm testing out my HD6XX and surprisingly it drives it pretty well. At medium volume at 10-11 oclock on the dial.

Good job Schiit.

I haven't noticed any issues on mine so far. Knob is centered in the casing hole. No noise when turning the knob. Just running it from the data input USB from my laptop. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #907 of 1,697
  Try setting your phone and other devices you might have near your computer to airplane more, when I tried my headphones with a friend's portable amp, it caused static in the right channel when my phone wasn't on airplane mode. If that doesn't work I would suggest contacting Schiit support. 

I tried that, but after some searching my wife set her phone on the table near one of the cables and that was the culprit.  (at least I am pretty sure, hasn't done it in about 10 minutes)  soooo I am going to start over.

I just got my fulla 2 today and I love it!  I was skeptical it would really make a difference; but it completly changed how my Meze 99 sounds for the better the bass tightened up and no longer "muddy" sounding and that was my main complaint.  Love how it feels, heavy and quality great job and amazing sound :) 

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #908 of 1,697

As I mentioned the problem wasn't the lack of 24/192 support via optical; it's a very strange anomaly that happens when music with low bass is playing... bass hits distort the rest of the music. For non bass heavy music the problem wasn't present. I was able to recreate the problem with both USB and optical, via multiple ports and multiple computers. When using the Fulla 2 as both the dac and amp, or as just the dac with the magni 2 the problem wasn't present.

I'm convinced my Modi 2U is simply defective. Even still, I can't imagine a 'healthy' unit will provide sounds 'above and beyond' that of the Fulla 2. I was more interested in how the Magni 2U would impact overall sound, and to my ears, with my headphones, and my source material, the answer was 'not much'.

Maybe if all of my music was 24/96 FLAC etc, there would be a more noticeable difference, or maybe it's simply my ears. All I know for sure is that adding the Magni 2U didn't make a huge difference. And the consensus seemed to be that better amping would have a greater impact that a 'better' dac, especially since both are based on the same dac chip.

I found the Fulla 2 used as a DAC sounds very good but the modi 2 uber sounded better to my ears with just about everything I played. I have and use both. I agree that depending on the cans the Magni 2 Uber and the fulla 2 amp sections can be hard to distinguish. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #909 of 1,697
I found the Fulla 2 used as a DAC sounds very good but the modi 2 uber sounded better to my ears with just about everything I played. I have and use both. I agree that depending on the cans the Magni 2 Uber and the fulla 2 amp sections can be hard to distinguish. 

I'm not really sure how this is surprising to anyone. The Fulla 2 costs a third less than the M2Ü and also has an amp built-in. It's a jack of all trades and not a dedicated DAC only.

Though I wonder how much one can really distinguish between the two if all one listens to is 320 kb Spotify.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #910 of 1,697
I'm not really sure how this is surprising to anyone. The Fulla 2 costs a third less than the M2Ü and also has an amp built-in. It's a jack of all trades and not a dedicated DAC only.

Though I wonder how much one can really distinguish between the two if all one listens to is 320 kb Spotify.

I agree but is was stated the Modi 2 U sounded off compared to the Fulla 2 as it may have been defective, I have done this same comparison with different results, just pointing that out. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #911 of 1,697
Who's ready for a picture dump?

Box.

Laid out.

SS, 2017 version.

And yes, my Fulla 2 has a slightly crooked and offset volume knob.  It also has microUSB ports which are rather tight with cables that aren't from monoprice.  Not cable-breaking tight though.

Channel imbalance is pretty significant at the lower ranges.  It's a lot worse than my Magni 2.  Left channel pops in earlier and louder, and by the time they sound equal it's a bit louder than my listening level(which seems to be a lot lower than most of you folk).  T50RP MK3 are run around 8 o'clock.  Slightly less for HD 6XX.  Pretty much halfway between the lowest setting on the pot and 9'oclock.  It's quite disappointing.  I'm fine with channel imbalance if it's at volume levels lower than my normal listening level, but when you reach your listening level and one side is louder than another, it's definitely annoying and distracting.  I even flipped my headphones around to make sure it wasn't my ears.

Fulla 2 gets a little warm, but it's got nothing on the DACports when it comes to temperature lol.

Still need a lot longer time in order to compare the audio differences, but the Fulla 2 sounds a little bit thinner than my DACport HD.  But that could just be placebo.  I honestly have no idea yet.  Sound is by no means bad out the Fulla 2 though.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #913 of 1,697
Channel imbalance is pretty significant at the lower ranges. It's a lot worse than my Magni 2

U mean on the Fulla2????

Yes, on the Fulla 2.  It's odd since both are supposed to be ALPS RK09 pots...

I've sent schiit an email.  Fingers crossed.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #914 of 1,697
  Yes, on the Fulla 2.  It's odd since both are supposed to be ALPS RK09 pots...

I've sent schiit an email.  Fingers crossed.

What happens when you turn down the Windows volume or whatever and then push up the Fulla's one? Still imbalanced?

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #915 of 1,697

What happens when you turn down the Windows volume or whatever and then push up the Fulla's one? Still imbalanced?

It becomes balanced if I increase the pot but reduce the volume in software.  It would be nice if I didn't have to do that, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back