Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,111 of 1,697
I have a $3,000 ham radio with volume pots that drop out below 8 o'clock. So why does this only bother me when it happens in $99 Schiit? I must have caught the Head-Fi disease. 

For the apparently small portion of us who find these amps too loud (even when there is a gain switch, in my case), there are ways to avoid the dreaded one-channel loss at the lowest volumes. I put attenuators in the RCA lines between my Magni and Modi, and another thread here discusses 3.5mm line attenuators you might add at the Fulla output jack. All of these options are far less expensive than upgrading to amps with better pots. (Though we will upgrade eventually. Because Head-Fi.)

Scratchiness is another story. That's probably a part defect or manufacturing defect, and clearly Jason's ready to step up and work with folks on that. The gain and imbalance issues are not defects. Making everyone with every ear sensitivity and every type of headphones happy while keeping base prices at $99 is just not possible. 

Quote:

I am in the same boat. 

My 1st unit had imbalance till around 8 o'clock which made listening to any easy-to-drive cans impossible. I got it replaced and the replacement unit is exactly like the first one.

So i did not bother to replace it again, because i didn't want to go through replacements(which cost the company) but never knowing for sure if the problem will be resolved

There are a few folks on this thread who say their unit doesn't have channel imbalance at any volume level, so my unit is faulty for sure.

All small pots have some imbalance problems at very low levels, I'm afraid.

If you listen at very low levels or have very sensitive headphones, you may have to turn down the source volume if you want to use an amp.

Was a gain switch purposefully left out during the design of the Fulla 2 to save manufacturing costs? Being an entry DAC/amp combo, it's likely that most people will come from on-board and thus have sensitive headphones.

If a Fulla 3 gets released, that would be the nicest addition (on top of the super narrow plugs for line and pre out getting some more room by carving away that metal a bit).

There's no practical place to put a gain switch in Fulla, I'm afraid, and it is very constrained on cost. The gain is low, in any case--which begs the question--if you don't need the gain, why do you need an amp? Best to save money--we counsel people on this all the time, saying "Don't bother with our amps if you don't have needy headphones." (schiit.com/about/principles).

It just makes sense that people post because they are really happy with a piece of gear or they have a problem.  There is great value in both reasons.  The problem is if people over-generalize from a very small sample of either praise or complaints.  It's for sure not a scientific study.  Jason has helped us out by telling us 5K Fulla 2s were sold. 50 complaints would be a 1% failure or dissatisfaction rate.  We have no idea how many others have praise or problems that haven't posted but Jason knows how many have been serviced or returned.  I don't think he will or should tell us that but I'll bet the number is low.  Jason has, however, been absolutely candid about volume imbalances being normal at low volumes and that while this isn't the world's most expensive pot, it specs pretty well.  I don't know of another manufacturer who sits on a forum and tells users so much about design, success, good ideas, bad ideas and failures too.  IMHO Fulla 2 is pretty darn good for a $100 piece of gear.  At $500 I would tell Jason that's crazy.

FWIW, mine doesn't make scratching noises either and I haven't experienced channel imbalances.  Happy camper here.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #1,113 of 1,697
I got a Fulla2 for Valentine's Day but sadly it's not a love affair.  

I was hoping for really precise volume control with the knob so that I could dial things precisely to the level I like.  What I've found is that the volume is way too soft at an audible level and turning the knob about 5degrees later it's ear bleeding.  So, the anticipated precision of that knob is 90% wasted/unavailable.

I contacted Schiit and their suggestion was to use volume control on the USB.  Firstly, bit perfection goes out the window.  Secondly, if I'm going to use the source's volume control what's the point of something with a volume knob.  Thirdly, with the Fulla2 connected to the Mac there are no USB audio controls so there's no volume control in the sound control panel.  So I'd be back to a software player's volume control which is what I was trying to get away from.

Not really a useable thing in my situation so I've asked for the RMA.  And I so really wanted to like it.  What little I heard before being deafened sounded good.

P.S.  When I ran into this I had visions of Venier knobs to solve the problem.  Google/Safari conspiring to prevent me from giving a link.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,115 of 1,697

...i like my new Poti at Fulla 2 
smile.gif

The Balance of my volume at Fulla 2 is also bad, and i got Hiss while turning the volume on and off without music, but i can suffer this.
My main point is sound, and i really don't know what is better? MacBook Pro or Fulla 2. I think in some terms the Fulla2 is better in sound, but in terms of fastness and felling live the MacBook Pro is better. So, maybe i start another day with a much better DAC.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,116 of 1,697
Got my Fulla 2 today back today fixed and it sounds great! Dial turns slower/tighter now and no more scratchiness. Also included a careful checklist by the worker (Chris). Thanks Schiit, appreciate it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,117 of 1,697
I got my Fulla last week. So far no issues to report. No scratchiness in the volume pot no balance issues at the lower end, and they drive my AKG K7XX very nicely.

I am very happy with this little DAC/AMP

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,118 of 1,697
Sooooooooooooooo

I have been looking everywhere for something to replace my K1 output from my computer.

Don't get me wrong I love my FiiO K1, but this keeping the computer awake / no screensaver is killing me inside.

I've been looking in the $50-150 range and the only real options I've come across are the DacPort, Dragonfly Black, FiiO E18k, SMSL M3/M6 (output impdance too high), and FiiO E10k.

I was really set on the E18k until I read reviews about horrible shielding causing issues near phones and basically everything, including when you touch it.
Since I will be keeping the K1 I can still use it with my iPod touch when I go out for my nightly walks, but I need something to use with my laptop until I can get a house to get an office.

I think the Fulla 2 will check all the boxes(its a DAC/Amp, so I can use it as an Amp later is Mimby until I get a better amp), I'm just a little worried about the gain with my sensitive headphones....
I also have some 1More Triple drivers and those actually require more power so really the RP-HD10's (18ohm) are what I'm worried about.
It has 0.5 output impedance so it should be fine with the USB volume lowered + low POT volume for my Panasonic RP-HD10's right?

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,119 of 1,697

I also have some 1More Triple drivers and those actually require more power so really the RP-HD10's (18ohm) are what I'm worried about.

It has 0.5 output impedance so it should be fine with the USB volume lowered + low POT volume for my Panasonic RP-HD10's right?

With the USB volume lowered, most likely yes. The 1More Triples are actually fairly low-impedance at 32 ohms already, and as you say the Panasonics are about half of that. 

The reason some of us don't want to lower the system volume is that we're trying to send "bit perfect" sound out to our DACs, bypassing the computer sound system and with system volume at 100%. But if you start getting that geeky about it, you'll have caught the Head-Fi disease and find yourself buying way too many headphones anyway... 

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,120 of 1,697

With the USB volume lowered, most likely yes. The 1More Triples are actually fairly low-impedance at 32 ohms already, and as you say the Panasonics are about half of that. 

The reason some of us don't want to lower the system volume is that we're trying to send "bit perfect" sound out to our DACs, bypassing the computer sound system and with system volume at 100%. But if you start getting that geeky about it, you'll have caught the Head-Fi disease and find yourself buying way too many headphones anyway... 

Heh I totally understand that, and I understand the need/want to not use the OS volume leveling. But from what I was reading it might not be possible, and doesn't seem very possible with entry level amps or dac/amps and lower impedance headphones.

Right now I have to run my computer at about 25% volume on the K1 and then I still often have to lower it in Spotify aswell, especially with the Panasonics as they are quite sensitive.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #1,121 of 1,697
  Sooooooooooooooo

I have been looking everywhere for something to replace my K1 output from my computer.

Don't get me wrong I love my FiiO K1, but this keeping the computer awake / no screensaver is killing me inside.

I've been looking in the $50-150 range and the only real options I've come across are the DacPort, Dragonfly Black, FiiO E18k, SMSL M3/M6 (output impdance too high), and FiiO E10k.

I was really set on the E18k until I read reviews about horrible shielding causing issues near phones and basically everything, including when you touch it.
Since I will be keeping the K1 I can still use it with my iPod touch when I go out for my nightly walks, but I need something to use with my laptop until I can get a house to get an office.

I think the Fulla 2 will check all the boxes(its a DAC/Amp, so I can use it as an Amp later is Mimby until I get a better amp), I'm just a little worried about the gain with my sensitive headphones....

FWIW, I ordered the Fulla 2 today myself but have owned a E18K for over a year. The interference is there if you have the wireless radios on and it's stacked to your phone (most notably the cellular radio but wifi to to a lesser extent), other than that situation with radios on I have none with my IEMs or my cans. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #1,122 of 1,697
FWIW, I ordered the Fulla 2 today myself but have owned a E18K for over a year. The interference is there if you have the wireless radios on and it's stacked to your phone (most notably the cellular radio but wifi to to a lesser extent), other than that situation with radios on I have none with my IEMs or my cans. 

I ordered one today too.
The multiple reviews of the e18k interference problems turned me off of it.
Do you use it only from your phone? Or do you use it on your computer?

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #1,123 of 1,697
I think it should be mentioned that the Fulla 2 is also susceptible to interference mostly from phone radio waves.  There's occasionally very quiet ticking.  But my phone has to be right next to the Fulla 2 and it seems to only affect the headphone out, not the line out.  If I move my phone 6 inches away from the Fulla 2 the problem goes away.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #1,124 of 1,697
  I think it should be mentioned that the Fulla 2 is also susceptible to interference mostly from phone radio waves.  There's occasionally very quiet ticking.  But my phone has to be right next to the Fulla 2 and it seems to only affect the headphone out, not the line out.  If I move my phone 6 inches away from the Fulla 2 the problem goes away.

Not Just the Fulla 2 . Other DAC or amps as well. Sometimes just placing my phone next to my PC will do that.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,125 of 1,697
My CEntrance DACport Slim never had any sort of issue like that. So it really depends on the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back