Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 2, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,446 of 3,234
Hi, I see you have a Denafrips Ares. Did you ever paired the Ares to the Freya in tube mode and did it sound good? Reason I am asking, is I got a Pontus2 and planning to pair the Freya as a preamp in tube preamp mode, but was concerned that the Pontus2 xlr output impedance of 1250 ohm is too high for the Freya's input impedance of 10k ohm. Using the rule of 10 times (1250 x 10= 12,500 ohm), Freya's 10k ohm is a bit shy off. Ares has the same output impedance as Pontus, so wanted to hear your feedback.
Using an Ares II (on sale currently) for the past year, paired with the Freya Plus in tube mode. No issues whatsoever—used this combo on both SS monoblocks and a tube amp.

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,447 of 3,234
Let's see how good Freya sounds with audio grade DC blocking capacitors on the tube output.

Stay tuned. 😁

DSC_0444.JPG
Hi
Thinking of doing this mod.
The V-Cap ODAM's you used on your Freya upgrade, require correct orientation when fitting (outer foil to the lowest impedance path to ground).
Can you confirm the orientation in your picture above is correct?
Thanks

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #2,448 of 3,234
Anyone with Freya+ or Noval have a faint hum coming from the left side where the transformers are? Also, when the mute button is pressed, does it make a zappy type of sound?

Trying to see if this is normal and that's how all Freya+/Noval performs.

Nov 11, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,449 of 3,234
Figured I would ask this crew before putting up a wanted ad, but I’m thinking of adding a freya + to my chain and am looking for the following tubes:

MELZ 1578 perforated
Rca grey glass
Ken-Rad VT-231
Quality Hytron

If anybody has good matched tubes please shoot me a note. I would also consider running quad 1578’s for the right price. Thanks

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #2,452 of 3,234
There is a fuse inside that may have blown. If you are under warranty, best to send it in. Not sure if anyone attempted a fuse change yet, but beware of deadly current inside if thinking about it.
Ah, I'm still within the warranty window so I'll let the professionals handle it instead of making it worse. Thank you for the reply!

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,454 of 3,234
What are the main advantages for getting a Freya + with the lisst tube replacements over a Freya Noval if one is going to tube roll in either case? And why is the Freya + so much more expensive than the Freya Noval, even at the B-stock prices of the current Blaxk Friday sale?

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #2,458 of 3,234
Mis-post. Lack of Freya N impressions is puzzling
I'm kind of puzzled by the lack of impressions as well, but Jason Stoddard did say that they didn't sell, and the ones on sale are the last of them. They had 9 or so on sale originally, they all sold, then they added 7 more last night, and today they added another 8 or 9 when they were down to 1.

This was a decent read: https://audio-head.com/a-schiit-tube-shootout-6sn7-vs-lisst-vs-6n1p/

I've ordered an N today in Schiit's Black Friday sale. I'll run it with a Lokius and both an Asgard 3 and a Magni Piety. My DAC has the choice of running solid-state only or turning on the tube stage (2x 5670's). Lots of opportunity to tune the sound with this chain.

Dec 1, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,460 of 3,234
Anyone know where I can get replacement parts (transformers) for the Schiit Freya+?

I believe my transformers blew up and shipping them to Schiit from Singapore is like 1/3 the price alread.

Looking for a cheaper solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back