Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,146 of 3,234
Yeah...I am "vintage" like my amp (original purchaser in the late 70's early 80's. It's too long ago to remember when. LOL!)...I have my covid shots...but I am not as old as Paul. I think that he is giving some good info...and convincing me not to spend the $500 refurbing my Carver (which I had planned to do after I get the EX-B7 Monoblocs). Mostly for nostalgic reasons I guess...Funny how we attach to things!
Have you rolled any NOS tubes in your Freya? (I see that you are stocked up on the stock tubes! :xf_cool: ).
My Freya Plus came with the JJ Tubes, but I am now running it with some NOS GE Tubes that I bought on Etsy.
As you mentioned, I'm completely stocked up on new Tung Sol 6SN7GTB tubes, so logic (and my wife) would tell you I should be good to go for life, right??? . . . . Nope, similar to you, I've already purchased a matched pair of NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes just to see if they'll "improve" the sound signature just a little bit more. :wink: They haven't arrived yet (expecting this weekend), but I'm excited to start rolling different tubes into the differential gain stage. I've also heard good things about the new production Psvane CV181-T MKII (6SN7) tubes, but can't bring myself to shell out $172 for a pair. I'm assuming you're happy with sound of your NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes?

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #2,147 of 3,234
HA HA…You would be wrong…yes…I do think the NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes (I have 4)…and they do sound better than my JJs…broader, warmer soundstage..extended highs and lows…but I have no wife to govern me 👍🏼 (the upcoming Monoblocs should be the give away there! 😎)…so…..yes…after I buy the amps…like you, I was thinking of trying a pair of Psvane CV181-T MKIIs….or…gulp…a pair of Shuguang Treasure Series 6SN7-SE Globes. Another tube that I would like to know more about are: JAN (joint army navy) RCA CRC-5692 Tubes. These last two are hard to find and expensive. Sitting here listening to some Milt Jackson with the GEs and the old Carver…ENJOYABLE! …and relaxing! This is all such great fun!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,148 of 3,234
As you mentioned, I'm completely stocked up on new Tung Sol 6SN7GTB tubes, so logic (and my wife) would tell you I should be good to go for life, right??? . . . . Nope, similar to you, I've already purchased a matched pair of NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes just to see if they'll "improve" the sound signature just a little bit more. :wink: They haven't arrived yet (expecting this weekend), but I'm excited to start rolling different tubes into the differential gain stage. I've also heard good things about the new production Psvane CV181-T MKII (6SN7) tubes, but can't bring myself to shell out $172 for a pair. I'm assuming you're happy with sound of your NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes?
You’ll like the subtle improvements of the GE 6SN7GTB tubes, especially if you place them in the voltage gain stage—the two right-hand side positions. The tone I get from my system is rich and smooth. The fact that these tubes are relatively affordable depending who you purchase from just adds to the satisfaction that the Freya + is a bargain high end preamp.

My second system consists of a pair of KEF LS50 speakers, and I am considering a pair of the Schiit Aegir amps with a Freya + preamp. The alternative is to build a pair of Pass DIY Aleph J Class A monoblocks and drive them with a Freya + preamp. Either way, the Freya + appears to play nicely with really good Class A solid state power amps. It’s amazing how versatile the Freya + and my Aleph J amp can play anything from simple acoustic to classic rock to jazz and large scale orchestral music and just sound right.

I just ordered some Duelund DCA20GA wire, some Tin-plated Copper shielding, Techflex sleeving and some Switchcraft XLR connectors to roll two sets of balanced XLR interconnect cables. Compared to the DIY Mogami 2549 balanced XLR interconnect cables I have in place, it may not make a huge difference, but I have to explore all options to getting the most out of my setup. I recently replaced my standard hospital grade IEC bargain special power cable from Amazon.com with a Zu Mission IEC power cable to power the Freya +, and the bass response became tighter and more detailed. The sound quality I am getting is just stupid good.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,149 of 3,234
HA HA…You would be wrong…yes…I do think the NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes (I have 4)…and they do sound better than my JJs…broader, warmer soundstage..extended highs and lows…but I have no wife to govern me 👍🏼 (the upcoming Monoblocs should be the give away there! 😎)…so…..yes…after I buy the amps…like you, I was thinking of trying a pair of Psvane CV181-T MKIIs….or…gulp…a pair of Shuguang Treasure Series 6SN7-SE Globes. Another tube that I would like to know more about are: JAN (joint army navy) RCA CRC-5692 Tubes. These last two are hard to find and expensive. Sitting here listening to some Milt Jackson with the GEs and the old Carver…ENJOYABLE! …and relaxing! This is all such great fun!
Well, well, well, . . . I now have the NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes installed and both you and richard_hing were spot on about the improved sound. I think the new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB tubes are pretty good all around, but the GE's definitely step up the game a few notches (note: I'm running the GE's on the right/voltage gain side, and the Tung-Sols on the left).

As you both noted, the GEs produce a smooth/warm midrange and enhance the low end (and lower mid-range) nicely. To quote Richard, I think "rich" is a good way to describe the overall sound signature. I'm really enjoying the improved impact/punch the GEs bring to the table and would say all my music is just a bit more engaging because of the additional warmth. I'm also still hearing plenty of resolution and detail up top, so overall a great purchase!! Thanks for the advice!

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #2,150 of 3,234
Well, well, well, . . . I now have the NOS GE 6SN7GTB tubes installed and both you and richard_hing were spot on about the improved sound. I think the new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB tubes are pretty good all around, but the GE's definitely step up the game a few notches (note: I'm running the GE's on the right/voltage gain side, and the Tung-Sols on the left).

As you both noted, the GEs produce a smooth/warm midrange and enhance the low end (and lower mid-range) nicely. To quote Richard, I think "rich" is a good way to describe the overall sound signature. I'm really enjoying the improved impact/punch the GEs bring to the table and would say all my music is just a bit more engaging because of the additional warmth. I'm also still hearing plenty of resolution and detail up top, so overall a great purchase!! Thanks for the advice!
Glad they are working out for you. The best part is a matched pair won’t cost an arm and a leg like some vintage 6SN7 tubes.

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,151 of 3,234
Can anyone here comment on the transparency of the buffer only SS mode with the Freya+.

I'm planning on using it with my McIntosh MHA200 amp. However, the MHA200 has an input impedance of 10K Ohm SE and 20K Balanced, which makes passive mode a bad fit, but I'm wondering about using the SS buffers only.

I basically need it for volume control only, not looking to add additional coloration to the signal path, so would rather not use the tube stage.

Freya S would have been a better choice for me - but who knows if it will ever come back...

Jul 10, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,152 of 3,234
Can anyone here comment on the transparency of the buffer only SS mode with the Freya+.

I'm planning on using it with my McIntosh MHA200 amp. However, the MHA200 has an input impedance of 10K Ohm SE and 20K Balanced, which makes passive mode a bad fit, but I'm wondering about using the SS buffers only.

I basically need it for volume control only, not looking to add additional coloration to the signal path, so would rather not use the tube stage.

Freya S would have been a better choice for me - but who knows if it will ever come back...
I find the passive stage to be superior to the buffer stage in every way with my system. This includes transparency. But it is pretty close. That’s not to say I find no use for the buffer stage. For music, like many CDs, that are overly lean and dry in the bass the slightly warmer sound with the buffer stage can be just the ticket. If that isn’t enough of a change you can use the tube stage though I often find that too much.

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,153 of 3,234
Unless you plan on using a source with balanced outputs and the MHA200 in balanced mode to drive your headphones, then the Freya + is probably overkill for your application. You might as well invest in a very good passive volume control from Khozmo or Goldpoint, or maybe even a TVA.

I prefer the vacuum tube differential mode for my critical listening. If I am playing music in the background, then I use the JFET differential buffer mode, which sounds very good, but not as tonally rich as the tube differential mode. I am not referring to coloration here, but actually getting tonal definition to distinguish instruments and vocals by their timbre.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,154 of 3,234
The problem with passives and the MHA200 is the low input impedance of the MHA200. At10k Ohm SE (20k balanced) a passive (like the Khozmo) isn't going to be able to drive the amp well at all - which is why I'm looking for a minimalist, active SS pre-amp...any recommendation are appreciated!

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #2,156 of 3,234
I'm considering the Freya+ to replace my Onkyo P-3000R preamp. The main reason is the Onkyo doesn't have balanced outputs. ATC that makes my amplifier highly recommends using balanced whenever possible. I emailed Schiit and they responded quickly saying the balanced should only be used for monoblocks and that I should use single ended. I'm sure they know what they are talking about but I'm just wondering if any of you can explain why this would be. In other words why I shouldn't use the balanced outputs of the Freya+ into my amp. Just trying to educate myself on preamp/amp compatibility regardless of which brand I use. These screenshots show the specs ATC P1 Pro that the Freya+ would output to. Also the specs of the Onkyo preamp I'm using now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-165052.png
    Screenshot_20210715-165052.png
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210715-164306.png
    Screenshot_20210715-164306.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #2,157 of 3,234
I'm considering the Freya+ to replace my Onkyo P-3000R preamp. The main reason is the Onkyo doesn't have balanced outputs. ATC that makes my amplifier highly recommends using balanced whenever possible. I emailed Schiit and they responded quickly saying the balanced should only be used for monoblocks and that I should use single ended. I'm sure they know what they are talking about but I'm just wondering if any of you can explain why this would be. In other words why I shouldn't use the balanced outputs of the Freya+ into my amp. Just trying to educate myself on preamp/amp compatibility regardless of which brand I use. These screenshots show the specs ATC P1 Pro that the Freya+ would output to. Also the specs of the Onkyo preamp I'm using now

A cursory look at your ATC P1 Pro amp suggests it's really a dual monoblock amp in a single enclosure rather than a 2-channel stereo power amp. If that's the case, feeding it with balanced output from a Freya or other preamp with balanced output would seem optimal.

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,158 of 3,234
A cursory look at your ATC P1 Pro amp suggests it's really a dual monoblock amp in a single enclosure rather than a 2-channel stereo power amp. If that's the case, feeding it with balanced output from a Freya or other preamp with balanced output would seem optimal.
Thanks for the response. Yes I did know that about the dual mono but had somewhat slipped my mind for the time being. I guess if I buy used for a good price I won't lose much if it doesn't work out. And if I buy it new I'll have a couple weeks to try it out. Of course it will take me several weeks to get a new one. Thanks again

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #2,159 of 3,234
"I emailed Schiit and they responded quickly saying the balanced should only be used for monoblocks and that I should use single ended."
I own a Freya+ and running with NOS tubes into a 40 year old Bob Carver C-500 Amp. My amp only accepts the RCAs …but, interestingly enough…I have a pair of Kinki Studio Monoblocs on order. Which according to your info is all well and good…I am no expert, but this info seems odd to me. Did Schiit offer any more of an explanation as to why the balanced outputs could not be used with any stereo power amps that have balanced inputs? Seems strange.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #2,160 of 3,234
"I emailed Schiit and they responded quickly saying the balanced should only be used for monoblocks and that I should use single ended."
I own a Freya+ and running with NOS tubes into a 40 year old Bob Carver C-500 Amp. My amp only accepts the RCAs …but, interestingly enough…I have a pair of Kinki Studio Monoblocs on order. Which according to your info is all well and good…I am no expert, but this info seems odd to me. Did Schiit offer any more of an explanation as to why the balanced outputs could not be used with any stereo power amps that have balanced inputs? Seems strange.
Actually I emailed them again to ask why the balanced would be a bad idea but haven't heard back. For now with me the point is moot because I waited too long and the one I was looking at for sale has already sold. Curious how yours works out once you have it all hooked up, please let us know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back