Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 6, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,591 of 3,234
A gain change like that would most probably be a hardware resistor change.
That's too bad. I don't mind so much as I normally leave it on the tube setting, but it would be nice to attenuate a bit. Right now with the volume all the way down, using LISST, into monoblock Vidars powering 85db sensitive speakers, the music is at an audible less than conversation level of loudness.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,592 of 3,234
I need something like the Freya to remote control my volume but I need two balanced outputs instead of Freya's one and also maybe something with EQ tone controls if possible. Anyone know a good option?

Budget is 2k but preferably under

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #1,594 of 3,234
I need something like the Freya to remote control my volume but I need two balanced outputs instead of Freya's one and also maybe something with EQ tone controls if possible. Anyone know a good option?

Outside the Freya, balanced preamps are tough to find in that price range, especially with tubes. Unless you find something that's used. I've been looking for a while.

The closest I've found is a custom Hattor Passive Preamp with the tube stage built into one box. That was $3000 though. You could get the Vishay resistors and probably get close to 2k. I was looking at the AMRG Trans resistors at the time.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,595 of 3,234

You need to talk to Roy about his SP14. You want some upgrades, but his preamp is supposed to be a step up, and he may be able to hit your price point. If you go with the metal case, you really ought to be able to get everything but the tone controls. High end doesn't normally have tone controls.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/don.htm

If you can wait, and want to pay a little more Don Sachs tweaks it out for around 2,200 I believe.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,596 of 3,234
You need to talk to Roy about his SP14. You want some upgrades, but his preamp is supposed to be a step up, and he may be able to hit your price point. If you go with the metal case, you really ought to be able to get everything but the tone controls. High end doesn't normally have tone controls.

If you can wait, and want to pay a little more Don Sachs tweaks it out for around 2,200 I believe.
These are awesome preamps. I just wish they were balanced.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,597 of 3,234
These are awesome preamps. I just wish they were balanced.

With transformers they can be, though I personally would just use Duelund cable and go from XLR to RCA by soldering pins 1 & 3 together, pin 2 being the signal, 1 & 3 being the return, it's a lot less expensive than transformers, and if you think balanced is truly superior, it's only real advantage is impedance matching. If you did a double blind test with audio level matching, I don't believe that anyone could tell the difference as long as it is wired as stated.

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,598 of 3,234
Balanced cables can carry a signal for hundreds of feet without signal degradation (I've used them exclusively in pro audio for decades), but in short runs (3 to 6 feet maybe) they're generally identical to single ended cables, although balanced cables often have less of a "sonic signature" than single ended.

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,599 of 3,234
Balanced cables can carry a signal for hundreds of feet without signal degradation (I've used them exclusively in pro audio for decades), but in short runs (3 to 6 feet maybe) they're generally identical to single ended cables, although balanced cables often have less of a "sonic signature" than single ended.

I used them in studio applications as well, if you use Duelund wire for the ICs I don't think that you can hear a difference in most applications. There is always the possibility of an exception, but if you are going to use teansformers to address it, I think that would likely null those differences.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,600 of 3,234

Freya has a low output impedance that should easily drive two balanced loads, depending upon the termination impedance.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #1,601 of 3,234

That looks pretty good. Can he make it fully balanced?

What's the difference between that site and Don Sachs site in regards to the SP14?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,602 of 3,234
That looks pretty good. Can he make it fully balanced?

What's the difference between that site and Don Sachs site in regards to the SP14?

It would be fully balanced compatible. The amplification would be single ended, but the input and output circuits would/could be balanced. Don't put too much emphasis on balanced circuitry, what is important is how well designed and executed the circuit is. A well designed SE circuit which is well implemented can seriously smoke most balanced circuits, and this preamp is one of those circuits.

Here's the thing, Roy is an unbelievably good tube circuit designer. Don is an unbelievably good circuit tweaker. Don takes a good design and tries everything in it. He finds the best sounding wire, the best sounding capacitors, the best sounding resistors for the filament circuit, the best sounding resistors for the audio, etc.

Roy knows most of Don's tricks, and I believe that he charges less, but don't quote me on that. I think lead time is shorter with Roy. I initially had intended to purchase a kit from Roy, but he moved, and as it turned out, Don had a preamp some knucklehead had ordered, so I got him to add what I wanted to it, and it'll be here tomorrow. Otherwise I would have purchased a kit rather than waiting for Don to build one, or have Roy build one for that matter. I would have used some different capacitors for the outputs, and I would have been a little less particular about using resistor X here, and resistor Y there, but I would imagine that I would have had a pretty awesome sounding preamp anyway. They are both true pros, but Don has more experience tweaking a circuit to squeeze the most out of it presumably. I say presumably based upon hearsay as I have not had the opportunity to do a toe to toe sound off between Roy and Don's best efforts, but that is my understanding.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,603 of 3,234
It would be fully balanced compatible. The amplification would be single ended, but the input and output circuits would/could be balanced. Don't put too much emphasis on balanced circuitry, what is important is how well designed and executed the circuit is. A well designed SE circuit which is well implemented can seriously smoke most balanced circuits, and this preamp is one of those circuits.

Here's the thing, Roy is an unbelievably good tube circuit designer. Don is an unbelievably good circuit tweaker. Don takes a good design and tries everything in it. He finds the best sounding wire, the best sounding capacitors, the best sounding resistors for the filament circuit, the best sounding resistors for the audio, etc.

Roy knows most of Don's tricks, and I believe that he charges less, but don't quote me on that. I think lead time is shorter with Roy. I initially had intended to purchase a kit from Roy, but he moved, and as it turned out, Don had a preamp some knucklehead had ordered, so I got him to add what I wanted to it, and it'll be here tomorrow. Otherwise I would have purchased a kit rather than waiting for Don to build one, or have Roy build one for that matter. I would have used some different capacitors for the outputs, and I would have been a little less particular about using resistor X here, and resistor Y there, but I would imagine that I would have had a pretty awesome sounding preamp anyway. They are both true pros, but Don has more experience tweaking a circuit to squeeze the most out of it presumably. I say presumably based upon hearsay as I have not had the opportunity to do a toe to toe sound off between Roy and Don's best efforts, but that is my understanding.

Thanks man. I don't mind going over my budget if the difference is worth it and from doing some reading about what Don does it seems like it. I sent Don an email to inquire about a custom build. I don't mind the build time. I've waiting months before for custom cables lol. Can't wait to hear your impressions when you get it.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,604 of 3,234
Thanks man. I don't mind going over my budget if the difference is worth it and from doing some reading about what Don does it seems like it. I sent Don an email to inquire about a custom build. I don't mind the build time. I've waiting months before for custom cables lol. Can't wait to hear your impressions when you get it.

If you want to go hogg wild, and have efficent speakers, or want to go efficient, Don has tweaked an amp Roy designed, but it's only 60WPC I believe. It's KT88 based.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,605 of 3,234
Don's reply "Hi I would love to help you, but it is a single ended circuit. I can do a wonderful XLR input with Cinemag line transformers, but I cannot do XLR outputs, sorry."

bummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back