Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 31, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #496 of 3,234
Alright gents, got my electro harmonix cooking for the past hour. Using them in the buffer stage with Psvane in the driver.. Now before with the tung sol i thought that the psvane were slow and a bit tilted towards low res, dare i say muddy. But now with the electroharmonix in the buffer I'm getting a nice balance of clarity and musicality, it's almost a whole new system. A veil lifted from the sound yet still very romantic in a tube way.

I may order another two and see how they sound running all electroharmonix. Bought it from Tubedepot.com

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #497 of 3,234
Alright gents, got my electro harmonix cooking for the past hour. Using them in the buffer stage with Psvane in the driver.. Now before with the tung sol i thought that the psvane were slow and a bit tilted towards low res, dare i say muddy. But now with the electroharmonix in the buffer I'm getting a nice balance of clarity and musicality, it's almost a whole new system. A veil lifted from the sound yet still very romantic in a tube way.

I may order another two and see how they sound running all electroharmonix

Where do you get tubes from?

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #498 of 3,234

I may order another two and see how they sound running all electroharmonix. Bought it from Tubedepot.com

​Thanks for doing this, hope it goes well. Wanted to say earlier The Tube Store, Parts Connection and Upscale Audio also have them but got sidetracked by Jason's April Fools challenge. Evidently the Tung-Sols come from the Electo-harmonix factory. Upscale has a really good pictrure and looks very much like my Tung-Sols so await how they compare in sound. You just never know until you try. They make a gold pin version but might be the exact tube with gold pins.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #499 of 3,234
^ the 6sn7 reference thread has them sounding quite different and they do (tung sol vs electroharmonix). Could be the same factory, different spec/design?

Also, there is a mention that the gold pin eh6sn7 sounds exactly the same as the cheaper version non gold. So unless you're matching colors or go for looks

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #505 of 3,234
Has anyone tried cryo treated tube? Does it make difference or it's a complete B.S?

The myth of cryo stems from cryo treating STEEL parts during their manufacture. The process creates a smaller crystalline structure on the surface of the part, giving it increased durability without increase in brittleness.

The only reason that I can think of to cryo treat a tube is as a form of destructive testing. If it survives the process, it is probably a good tube.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #506 of 3,234
I have a matched quad of the Tung Sol new stock tubes as well as a matched quad of the stock Freya tubes...and currently running the Tung Sols in the gain position, and the stock tubes in the buffer/follower(?) position...

I have read that some people like the Electro Harmonix new stock tubes...

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the Tung Sol new stock tubes vs. the Electro Harmonix new stock tubes...similarities and differences...?...

If anyone has some experience with both of these tubes in the Freya, and or in combination with each other...or in combination with other tubes, I would like to learn from you what you heard?...

Thanks

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #507 of 3,234
Does Freya have a warm up time when turned on? Meaning to sound optimum. So if I turn on Freya does it sound great immediately? After 30 minutes? After an hour? Tube mode or otherwise?

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #509 of 3,234
To add to this, does anyone know if using JFET or passive preamp mode still pipe music into the tubes? I ask because I usually like to fire up and listen immediately but I know that tubes should have at least 5-10 mins of on time with no music to extend it's life (not just the 30-60s Schiit programmed into their relay).

So if I want music in a instant right when the relay kicks in, can I put the Freya into JFET mode while the tubes warm a good 10 minutes then switch to the tubes? Does doing so cut any signal going into tubes when using the other modes?

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #510 of 3,234
Do the tubes still get power on when the Freya is in JFET mode? If they are.. that'd be pretty annoying way to kill the tubes much faster than you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back