Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 26, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #467 of 3,234
Okay, so what is the consensus for tubes for Freya?

Is it the RCA NOS 5692 red base? Which version? The new Tung Sols? What is a reasonable price for the RCA tubes? Where is the best place to get the Tung Sols?

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #468 of 3,234
People seem to really like the red base, but too rich for my blood.  I had terrible luck with the new Tung sols when I bought them from a certain online vendor- even after paying for low noise, balanced triodes, and matching.  I ordered 9 matched tubes (two orders) and sent 5 of them back due to microphonics or other noise related issues.  I have to question if the tubes were even tested at this point.  I kept 4 of the best, but still a little noisey and I will definitely not buy from them again.  I am not here to bad mouth any vendor, so I won't mention the site.  I am still on the search for a good tube brand myself.  I've heard several people mention good experiences from Upscale Audio, so I might try there if I was still interested in the new Tung Sols.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #469 of 3,234
People seem to really like the red base, but too rich for my blood.  I had terrible luck with the new Tung sols when I bought them from a certain online vendor- even after paying for low noise, balanced triodes, and matching.  I ordered 9 matched tubes (two orders) and sent 5 of them back due to microphonics or other noise related issues.  I have to question if the tubes were even tested at this point.  I kept 4 of the best, but still a little noisey and I will definitely not buy from them again.  I am not here to bad mouth any vendor, so I won't mention the site.  I am still on the search for a good tube brand myself.  I've heard several people mention good experiences from Upscale Audio, so I might try there if I was still interested in the new Tung Sols.

I have had no better luck with them. I was going to try Tube Depot next.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #470 of 3,234
  Okay, so what is the consensus for tubes for Freya?

Is it the RCA NOS 5692 red base? Which version? The new Tung Sols? What is a reasonable price for the RCA tubes? Where is the best place to get the Tung Sols?

Thanks!

I actually don't like the 5692....no bass.

Not that impressed with new Tung Sols either.  They do a lot right, but lack clarity and sound smeared.

My favourite is KenRad VT-231 staggered plates.  They are detail monsters and the bass can destroy your speakers.  
biggrin.gif
 No recessed highs either, like with a lot of tubes.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #472 of 3,234
I actually don't like the 5692....no bass.

Not that impressed with new Tung Sols either.  They do a lot right, but lack clarity and sound smeared.

My favourite is KenRad VT-231 staggered plates.  They are detail monsters and the bass can destroy your speakers.  :D  No recessed highs either, like with a lot of tubes.

How did the 5692 sound smeared on your Freya? Mine sounds like what you're describing with the KenRad VT-231

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #474 of 3,234
I suspect there may be some old and tired 5692 pulls floating around for sale.

Possibly. I tried two sets, though. A CBS pair and an RCA pair that I got from different sources. Both pairs sounded the same to me...very clear, but no bass. This was with Sylvania VT-231 on the output side.

Kenrad VT-231 staggered plates sound substantially better to me.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #475 of 3,234
Possibly. I tried two sets, though. A CBS pair and an RCA pair that I got from different sources. Both pairs sounded the same to me...very clear, but no bass. This was with Sylvania VT-231 on the output side.

Kenrad VT-231 staggered plates sound substantially better to me.

Yeah, gotcha.

Perhaps -- at least in a speaker universe, the transducers with the best bass sound like they have no bass at all......Until something really deep comes along which can tend to surprise the listener.  The physics of the matter is that it is much more difficult to get a transducer designed to cover an ear to get down really deep.  Perhaps.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 27, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #476 of 3,234
Since Freya doesn't have 12V trigger or HT bypass, what are folks doing to blend Freya in to their 2 channel and home theatre setups in a civilian acceptable way?  With 2 Vidar's running mono on the wishlist, three power switches on the backside of units is starting to add up.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #477 of 3,234
  Hey guys, I've been reading this thread since I'm looking for a remote controlled preamp for my two channel setup. I'm wondering if there's any sonic advantage in using a Saga or Freya in passive mode over the SYS? 

If not, I'd try to add a motor to SYS and make it remote controlled and save the money. It would be a fun project too I guess!

Any thoughts?  

Ok I've been reading on the subject now and I see that was a stupid question haha

I wish Schiit made some sort of a passive preamp with balanced I/O and a high quality volume control for those who don't wanna mess around with tubes. This could be also an option in the DAC lineup in future? anyone else thinks that would be a good idea?

I've been using active speakers for some time now and If I could get a Yggy with a quality volume control that adds let's say, 200-400 USD to the total cost, I'll be very very very happy! very happy! Schiit please. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #478 of 3,234
Ok I've been reading on the subject now and I see that was a stupid question haha

I wish Schiit made some sort of a passive preamp with balanced I/O and a high quality volume control for those who don't wanna mess around with tubes. This could be also an option in the DAC lineup in future? anyone else thinks that would be a good idea?

I've been using active speakers for some time now and If I could get a Yggy with a quality volume control that adds let's say, 200-400 USD to the total cost, I'll be very very very happy! very happy! Schiit please. 

Just use a Saga and do not insert the tube. It is in your price range and you always have the option of inserting the tube if you change your mind. (I predict that you will)

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #479 of 3,234
Just use a Saga and do not insert the tube. It is in your price range and you always have the option of inserting the tube if you change your mind. (I predict that you will)

I see your point, but is the volume control in a Saga as good as for example what is implemented in the Ragnarok? I really like to keep my system as simple as possible and get components that are as neutral as possible. So if the tube stuff was removed and instead the volume control was a very good one I think that would have a good market. With a remote control of course. Basically I'm wondering if adding a Freya between your Yggy and your speakers in going to take away from sound quality (in passive mode) compared to a passive preamp that is the same price as the Freya and has a more advanced volume control.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #480 of 3,234
I see your point, but is the volume control in a Saga as good as for example what is implemented in the Ragnarok? I really like to keep my system as simple as possible and get components that are as neutral as possible. So if the tube stuff was removed and instead the volume control was a very good one I think that would have a good market. With a remote control of course. Basically I'm wondering if adding a Freya between your Yggy and your speakers in going to take away from sound quality (in passive mode) compared to a passive preamp that is the same price as the Freya and has a more advanced volume control.

The difference between passive modes is balanced/128 steps for Freya and single ended/64 steps for Saga. I never found 64 Steps to be insufficient. Both use relay stepped attenuators and are therefore both screaming bargains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back